Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Baby squirrel is bleeding from nose, opening mouth as if gasping for air.

Exclamation HELP! Baby squirrel is bleeding from nose, opening mouth as if gasping for air.

Hello guys, new here. I recently found a baby squirrel near my home, didn't move at all, and had eyes closed. We gave her puppy milk and she got up and running within two days. Today we went somewhere for a couple hours and when we came back home she was bleeding from her nose and opening her mouth as if she's in pain or gasping for air. She just ate too. She's not doing the "milk seizure thing" where she's constantly opening her mouth and closing it, she mostly has it closed, but once in a while she'll open it a little and do this weird gasping noise. She ate and had an appetite, and she walked enough to cuddle herself with the warm water bottle she has in her crate. She's sleeping in there now and breathing steadily, both of her lungs are moving on her back too. She hasn't fallen, her crate is on the floor, and there's nothing for her to climb near her. Also, there are no other pets near her at all. What do I do guys, she was acting super alive and healthy in the morning and now she looks like she's about to die in a few more minutes/hours.

Default Re: HELP! Baby squirrel is bleeding from nose, opening mouth as if gasping for air.

I am so sorry. Could she have hit something if she got frightened and suddenly darted? They bleed from the mouth when teething but nothing like what you are describing. What type of squirrel and approximately how old?

Default Re: HELP! Baby squirrel is bleeding from nose, opening mouth as if gasping for air.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I am so sorry. Could she have hit something if she got frightened and suddenly darted? They bleed from the mouth when teething but nothing like what you are describing. What type of squirrel and approximately how old?
    Hello thanks for replying so late, its a Grey tree squirrel and she's about 6 weeks old. I don't know if she hit something, the bleeding appears to be coming from inside her nose, as one of her nostrils was virtually clogged with blood. We cleaned it gently and she's breathing fine out of both but I am still so scared and hoping she doesn't die. I don't understand why she's opening her mouth like that. A few minutes ago she took I guess what was a deep breath and it did a whistling sound, kind of like when one of us humans tries to breathe with a stuffy nose and you get that whistle sound.

She may have dried blood in her nasal passages that hasn't worked it's way out yet. It is not natural for many animals to breathe through their mouths like we do, so that may account for her gasping. Is she eating?

Out of an abundance of caution, see what sort of antibiotics you can round up from your medicine cabinet and that of friends and family. Make a list of what you can locate. Cipro would be my first choice but others will work. I am a little concerned about aspiration pneumonia. Normally it comes from accidentally inhaling formula while eating too enthusiastically, but inhaling any substance that doesn't belong in the lungs can cause it, too. In order to help you, we would need her weight and the size of the pill in milligrams. YOU would need a 1ml syringe, which is what you should be feeding her with.

She may have dried blood in her nasal passages that hasn't worked it's way out yet. It is not natural for many animals to breathe through their mouths like we do, so that may account for her gasping. Is she eating?

Out of an abundance of caution, see what sort of antibiotics you can round up from your medicine cabinet and that of friends and family. Make a list of what you can locate. Cipro would be my first choice but others will work. I am a little concerned about aspiration pneumonia. Normally it comes from accidentally inhaling formula while eating too enthusiastically, but inhaling any substance that doesn't belong in the lungs can cause it, too. In order to help you, we would need her weight and the size of the pill in milligrams. YOU would need a 1ml syringe, which is what you should be feeding her with.
    Yes, I am aware of aspiration pneumonia which I assumed it was at first, but does that explain the bleeding? Where would she be bleeding from internally? I do not have any antibiotics that I could use here or with close by friends or family. I actually read on this forum was that there is something else called colloidal silver? Could I use that if she does have aspiration? I also don't have a scale to weigh her.

Quote Originally Posted by ericnunez View Post
    Yes, I am aware of aspiration pneumonia which I assumed it was at first, but does that explain the bleeding? Where would she be bleeding from internally? I do not have any antibiotics that I could use here or with close by friends or family. I actually read on this forum was that there is something else called colloidal silver? Could I use that if she does have aspiration? I also don't have a scale to weigh her.
    This could be two totally different things - A/P and she also hit her nose on her enclosure. A/P is a bacterial infection in the lungs - you need antibiotics for it. Digital scales that weigh in ounces/pounds AND grams/kilobrams can be purchased at Walmart or similar for around $20. Look in the kitchen stuff - dieters use them to weigh their food.

Is she eating?

This could be two totally different things - A/P and she also hit her nose on her enclosure. A/P is a bacterial infection in the lungs - you need antibiotics for it. Digital scales that weigh in ounces/pounds AND grams/kilobrams can be purchased at Walmart or similar for around $20. Look in the kitchen stuff - dieters use them to weigh their food.

Is she eating?
    I am so sorry I totally forgot to reply to that question, yes she is eating. But I'm on my way to Walmart right now! Any OTC antibiotics I could purchase there maybe?

If aspiration pneumonia is involved, administering an antibiotic is the only thing that can treat it.

Having a scale is essential for raising a baby squirrel. One must know it's weight in order to know
    how much to feed within 5-7% of body weight. Providing a weight is also needed if medications
    are involved as all medications are administered by individual body weight.

What brand "puppy milk" have you been feeding, liquid or powder?

What was the circumstances under which this baby was found, could it have fallen from tree/nest?
    Deposited after being cat/animal caught?

Bleeding from nose could be a result from having a seizure due to a fall causing head trauma or other internal injury.
    These type injuries often do not expose themselves right away but can surface later.
    As suggested, breathing from mouth could be due to clogged nostrils/ sinus or possibly internal injury.

If you are unprepared to treat and care for this baby, are you willing to seek an experienced rehabilatator?

Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

island rehabber (05-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    If aspiration pneumonia is involved, administering an antibiotic is the only thing that can treat it.

Having a scale is essential for raising a baby squirrel. One must know it's weight in order to know
    how much to feed within 5-7% of body weight. Providing a weight is also needed if medications
    are involved as all medications are administered by individual body weight.

What brand "puppy milk" have you been feeding, liquid or powder?

What was the circumstances under which this baby was found, could it have fallen from tree/nest?
    Deposited after being cat/animal caught?

Bleeding from nose could be a result from having a seizure due to a fall causing head trauma or other internal injury.
    These type injuries often do not expose themselves right away but can surface later.
    As suggested, breathing from mouth could be due to clogged nostrils/ sinus or possibly internal injury.

If you are unprepared to treat and care for this baby, are you willing to seek an experienced rehabilatator?

Hello, I am getting a scale right now. I have been using liquid milk. She was under a bush unable to move. She was awake but barely responding. After feeding her for two days she seemed super healthy and content. She was fully conscious and running around. She would hold on to the syringe while feeding as well. She is no longer breathing from her mouth.

Hello, I am getting a scale right now. I have been using liquid milk. She was under a bush unable to move. She was awake but barely responding. After feeding her for two days she seemed super healthy and content. She was fully conscious and running around. She would hold on to the syringe while feeding as well. She is no longer breathing from her mouth.
    Not all puppy milks are correct balance for a squirrel, the liquid is not good regardless even if it were the correct formula.
    It is not the same as powered formula, does not contain the proper nutrition needed and it will cause digestive issues.

I'm attaching the link for baby squirrel care.
    Go to this link it can be a HUGE help and get you on the right track
    It's 6 (short) pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Any update?

Please get proper formula as suggested. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/ is a good place to start.

Did somebody else handle the squirrel, maybe drop it, and didn't say anything / admit to it?

Please take a video with your cell phone, upload to YouTube, and link it here.

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    Any update?

Please get proper formula as suggested. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/ is a good place to start.

Did somebody else handle the squirrel, maybe drop it, and didn't say anything / admit to it?

Hello, she seems to be doing a lot better now. Bleeding has stopped and she hasn't gasped for air like the other day. She is active and alert now but I couldn't find the miracle nipple or any nipple to feed her so I am just using this 1ml syringe to feed her. I just drop the milk on her mouth and let her drink it slowly. As for the powdered milk, I have not been able to find it despite going to two pet shops and Walmart yesterday. I checked online and they're out of stock. I spoke to someone at the store and they said they should have some by tomorrow so I'll go get some then.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ericnunez from:

McCarthy (05-17-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy View Post
    Any update?

Squirrel is so much better now thank you for you help, I do have one more question though, her belly doesn't seem to go down, I don't know if it's normal?

Squirrel is so much better now thank you for you help, I do have one more question though, her belly doesn't seem to go down,
    I don't know if it's normal?
    It is not!

If your still feeding liquid formula, it's one of the problems with it and likely the problem. It's not going to digest well and sit like sludge in her gut.
    If you have her on the correct powered formula, which formula is it? What is her weight, how much are you feeding each time, how often?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

It is not!

If your still feeding liquid formula, it's one of the problems with it and likely the problem. It's not going to digest well and sit like sludge in her gut.
    If you have her on the correct powered formula, which formula is it? What is her weight, how much are you feeding each time, how often?
    She weighs 264 grams as of this morning and I'm using Espilac powdered milk. I feed her every three hours and about 3ml and a half.

She weighs 264 grams as of this morning and I'm using Espilac powdered milk. I feed her every three hours and about 3ml and a half.
    ericnunez, We need to do some back tracking here. Her weight and how little, how often you are feeding formula is not making sense.

In the beginning 5/16 you wrote;

Hello guys, new here. I recently found a baby squirrel near my home, didn't move at all, and had eyes closed..
    Their eyes usually open at 5 weeks of age. At 264 grams this suggests she's somewhere between 8-10 weeks of age.
    She should be feeding 1-2 x per day at 12-20 mls/cc's and have started on solid food, mainly a good quality rodent block to start with.
    Rodent block is the first solid food they should be eating and eating well before other solids are introduced.

Squirrel is so much better now thank you for you help, I do have one more question though, her belly doesn't seem to go down, I don't know if it's normal?
    This can be explained by how you have been feeding her. You need to correct her feeding schedule and get her on the appropriate track and diet for her age.
    How is her peeing and poop? What consistency is her bowels, loose, soft, firm?

If you will post a picture showing her over all body, it can help to access her overall condition.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

ericnunez (05-19-2022)

Is she eating any solids... and do you know how old she is?

3ml is way too llitte, I am attaching a feeding chart. They should be fed 5-7% of body weight so for a 264gm squirrel that would be 13- 18ml each feeding. And every 3 hours for s 264grams squirrel is too often. I am attaching a cheat sheet for feeding amounts. SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

As for the bloated tummy...

1) Esbilac should be mixed up a few hours before feeding, stored in the fridge after mixing and discarded after about 36 - 48 hours... so only make up about 1.5 - 2 days of feeding.
    2) Formula that has been heated for feeding but not used should be discarded; never reheat previously heated formula.
    3) Once opened, the powder should be stored in the freezer (or fridge). If left out at room temp it will go bad (rancid) in a matter of days

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

ericnunez (05-19-2022)

ericnunez, We need to do some back tracking here. Her weight and how little, how often you are feeding formula is not making sense.

In the beginning 5/16 you wrote;

Their eyes usually open at 5 weeks of age. At 264 grams this suggests she's somewhere between 8-10 weeks of age.
    She should be feeding 1-2 x per day at 12-20 mls/cc's and have started on solid food, mainly a good quality rodent block to start with.
    Rodent block is the first solid food they should be eating and eating well before other solids are introduced.

This can be explained by how you have been feeding her. You need to correct her feeding schedule and get her on the appropriate track and diet for her age.
    How is her peeing and poop? What consistency is her bowels, loose, soft, firm?

If you will post a picture showing her over all body, it can help to access her overall condition.
    Hello, sorry I meant her eyes were closed because I'm assuming she was weak and tired or possibly dying, not that her eyes hadn't opened yet in general. Her eyes were already open when I found her, they were just closed due to some other factor. We tried feeding her a block when we first got her but she didn't want to eat it so we assumed she was too small to eat it. Her bowels feel soft overall, not firm or loose. Pooping is consistent, about 3-4 little poops after every meal, but I can't tell if she's peeing or not...

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ericnunez from:

stepnstone (05-19-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Is she eating any solids... and do you know how old she is?

3ml is way too llitte, I am attaching a feeding chart. They should be fed 5-7% of body weight so for a 264gm squirrel that would be 13- 18ml each feeding. And every 3 hours for s 264grams squirrel is too often. I am attaching a cheat sheet for feeding amounts. SquirrelBoard Feeding CheatSheet.pdf

As for the bloated tummy...

1) Esbilac should be mixed up a few hours before feeding, stored in the fridge after mixing and discarded after about 36 - 48 hours... so only make up about 1.5 - 2 days of feeding.
    2) Formula that has been heated for feeding but not used should be discarded; never reheat previously heated formula.
    3) Once opened, the powder should be stored in the freezer (or fridge). If left out at room temp it will go bad (rancid) in a matter of days

Thank you so much for your detailed response.
    I read online that she is to be fed every 3 hours. Another site said every 2 hours, and one other site said 5-6 hours. I didn't know which to choose so I went with the middle one. As for feeding her too little, I'm kinda worried I'm feeding her too much due to her bloated stomach. I also heard Esbilac needs to be diluted, etc etc. Is there a detailed Esbilac instruction sheet for baby squirrels that I could use?

Thank you so much for your detailed response.
    I read online that she is to be fed every 3 hours. Another site said every 2 hours, and one other site said 5-6 hours. I didn't know which to choose so I went with the middle one. As for feeding her too little, I'm kinda worried I'm feeding her too much due to her bloated stomach. I also heard Esbilac needs to be diluted, etc etc. Is there a detailed Esbilac instruction sheet for baby squirrels that I could use?
    If you are using the powered Esbilac it should be mixed full strength 2 water to 1 powder. It does not need to be diluted beyond that.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast