Thread: Constipated 4.5 week old!

Emmals13 Guest

Default Constipated 4.5 week old!

4 days ago(Thursday) I found a baby girl on the ground at a gas station. I couldn’t find the mother so I took her home. Her ears are up and her eyes look like they are about to open so I estimated she’s around 4.5 weeks. I immediately gave her some Pedialyte, but her skin wasn’t tenting and she was peeing quite a bit. I had esbilac on hand from another squirrel I raised awhile ago, so I went ahead and started her on it that night because she didn’t seem all that dehydrated. That night around 2am I got her to poop but it was wasn’t much. I figured that was what was left in her system from nursing her mom. I’ve been giving her 3-4ccs every 2-3 hours. We’re going on about 3.5 days of not pooping. She’s very strong and active and has quite the appetite. Overall seems to be in good health. Her stomach is a little round but I think most of it is from her being full after eating. When I stimulate her, her anus doesn’t open up or anything. I’m wondering if this is all because she hasn’t gotten enough in her system yet or if she can’t tolerate the formula? I don’t think it’s dehydration. Any input will be helpful! I’ve never ran into this issue before and don’t know where to go form here. Thanks!

Default Re: Constipated 4.5 week old!

Try offering some water sweetened with a touch of honey or sugar in between scheduled feedings. She could still need some hydration even though she doesn’t appear dehydrated. It definitely could also be because she hasn’t gotten enough milk into her system to produce poop, but it sounds like she’s being fed enough. How much does she weigh? Are you keeping a record of her eating schedule and amount! I find it helpful to do this, as well as document any changes or additions you make to her diet. I also potty my little ones before and after each feeding and document what they produce. You could try a warm water soak gently massaging down on her abdomen. Be sure to dry her well so she doesn’t get chilled. A little coconut or mineral oil applied around her rectum might also be helpful.

The Esbilac is the powdered version, correct? Has it been stored in the refrigerator or freezer? It can go rancid if not.

There are lots of members in your area if you should need more help. Keep us updated please.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

LanSeaAir (01-28-2019)

Emmals13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Try offering some water sweetened with a touch of honey or sugar in between scheduled feedings. She could still need some hydration even though she doesn’t appear dehydrated. It definitely could also be because she hasn’t gotten enough milk into her system to produce poop, but it sounds like she’s being fed enough. How much does she weigh? Are you keeping a record of her eating schedule and amount! I find it helpful to do this, as well as document any changes or additions you make to her diet. I also potty my little ones before and after each feeding and document what they produce. You could try a warm water soak gently massaging down on her abdomen. Be sure to dry her well so she doesn’t get chilled. A little coconut or mineral oil applied around her rectum might also be helpful.

The Esbilac is the powdered version, correct? Has it been stored in the refrigerator or freezer? It can go rancid if not.

There are lots of members in your area if you should need more help. Keep us updated please.
    So I started to give her water between feedings and she did poop, but it was white for the most part. I know this isn’t normal. Is she not digesting her food properly? If so what should I do to help her.

White poop is most often overfeeding. The squirrel is pushing the formula through before it has been digested.
    I note you said you are feeding every 2-3 hours... try shifting to 3 to 4 hours and dilute the formula for a few feedings.
    You want to be feeding about 5% of the squirrels body weight per feeding. For instance a 100 gram squirrel gets 5ml.
    The poop you saw on the first day should have been dark brown (the last of the mother's milk).
    To confirm the age at 4.5 weeks... the belly should be about half covered in white fur, with a little pink at the bottom.
    Pictures of the squirrel, her tummy, and the poop would be wonderful... we love pictures.
    What formula are you feeding the squirrel???

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Javarat from:

LanSeaAir (01-28-2019)

Emmals13 Guest

So I didn’t get a picture of the poop but the best I could describe it as was white, the size and shape of a grain of rice, and slightly slimy but still formed, not runny or anything. I’m feeding her esbilac. I do one part powder and two parts water. The first night I got her when she pooped it actually was whitish, but slightly smaller and not as slimy as this past time. And that was after feeding her once. Name:  57A362DA-AC1F-4BC9-8C4A-38FB304BADB7.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  84.8 KBName:  3E81CA30-358E-4A07-A40A-A12D4306D977.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  77.8 KBName:  5A3D0A69-67F2-4287-8AEE-0736B16BB8CB.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  64.5 KB
    Hopefully these pictures are alright she was squirmy

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Emmals13 from:

SammysMom (01-28-2019)

She looks like a 5.5 week old squirrel. (Her tummy is totally covered in fur, but she does not have fringe on the thighs)
    The size and color of her tummy looks perfect. Fur, facial structure, and ears also look perfect.
    Her feeding schedule should be 5% of her body weight 5 times per day. Weigh her in grams every other day and divide by 20 as your target in milliliters.
    (Example: 5am - 9:30am - 2pm - 6:30pm - 11pm) Roughly every 4.5 hours, with a 6 hour gap at night so you can actually sleep.
    Feeding her every 2 to 3 hours is probably the cause of the white poop.
    Once their eyes open, I normally shift them to a 50/50 mix of Esbilac and Fox Valley 20/50 squirrel formula.
    The Fox Valley is more expensive, but I get good growth off it, and the vanilla taste helps their appetite.
    In a week and a half, shift her to four feedings 6 hours apart, and let her eat up to around 7% of her body weight per feeding.

Emmals13 Guest

Ok great! I’ll switch to that schedule and most definitely order the Fox valley. But I’m still a little curious as to why she has only pooped twice in 4 days, and a very small amount. Is there any reason for that? She doesn’t seem bloated but I’m just wondering where all that food is going. Thank you so much for the quick replies though! I’m extremely dedicated to giving the best care to her so I really apretiate the advice!

Monitor the color of her poop... as she gets used to 5 feedings per day you should see a shift to a golden yellow color.
    If it continues to be white toss some pictures of it at us.
    A four day stretch of no poop is not that odd.. it normally indicates she was on empty when you got her, and she had to fill up her intestines again.
    The white poop on the first day may have been a reaction to the unusual food, pushing it through fast.. like what happens when you go to Taco Bell.
    You can find the Fox Valley 20/50 on Amazon for $14 per pound. Make sure you get the 20/50... NOT the 32/40. The 32/40 is very bad for squirrels.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

LanSeaAir (01-28-2019)

Emmals13 Guest

As of today she weighs 88 grams so I started feeding her 4.4 mil 5 times a day. I just got her to poop and it was a golden brown color. I’m so relieved that everything’s normal now! Thanks for your help(:

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Emmals13 from:

Javarat (01-28-2019)

After their eyes open, they will start pooping on their own.
    So you may have some times when you will not be able to get her to poop after a feeding.. don't let it worry you. She should at least pee after each feeding.
    You can still continue to stimulate her after feedings, as it will reduce the amount of urine and feces in the bedding.
    Your step next week will be to introduce her to squirrel blocks. She will probably just shred them at first, but we want her to have a habit of eating them before you move on to other solids in about two weeks.
    She will still sleep a LOT... but next week she she should become a lot more active.
    Welcome to the world of Squirrel Worriers. I promise you... she WILL find some other pattern to make you worry before this is over

Members who have read this thread: 1