Thread: Adult Squirrel Car Victim - Recovering with Complications

Default Adult Squirrel Car Victim - Recovering with Complications

Hello!

So I came on about 2 weeks ago with an adult female squirrel that was hit and dragged by at least 2 cars. My initial goal was just to let her die somewhere quiet and warm and was sure she'd pass within the hour but after that hour had come and gone I began supportive care as it was clear she wasn't just giving up.

She has come a long way but still isn't eating on her own. She appears to nibble on puppy kibble and suet blocks but doesn't seem to actually be swallowing so her only real source of nutrition has been the Goats Milk Esbilac I have been giving her. She gets anywhere from 30-50 CCs 3-4 times a day. I have developed a way to minimize handling as she REALLLLY just wants to cuddle up to me and my goal is to release her if she ever recovers fully - so the range is due to me stopping when she seems to lose interest.

The main problems are:

- She is dropping weight like crazy - would upping the number of feedings per day help (I would assume yes) Should I change what she's eating?

- She is still almost exclusively circling - what are the odds that this will improve? There s no chance for independent survival as she is.

Default Re: Adult Squirrel Car Victim - Recovering with Complications

Quote Originally Posted by SqueakerTheLegend View Post
    Hello!

So I came on about 2 weeks ago with an adult female squirrel that was hit and dragged by at least 2 cars. My initial goal was just to let her die somewhere quiet and warm and was sure she'd pass within the hour but after that hour had come and gone I began supportive care as it was clear she wasn't just giving up.

She has come a long way but still isn't eating on her own. She appears to nibble on puppy kibble and suet blocks but doesn't seem to actually be swallowing so her only real source of nutrition has been the Goats Milk Esbilac I have been giving her. She gets anywhere from 30-50 CCs 3-4 times a day. I have developed a way to minimize handling as she REALLLLY just wants to cuddle up to me and my goal is to release her if she ever recovers fully - so the range is due to me stopping when she seems to lose interest.

The main problems are:

- She is dropping weight like crazy - would upping the number of feedings per day help (I would assume yes) Should I change what she's eating?

- She is still almost exclusively circling - what are the odds that this will improve? There s no chance for independent survival as she is.
    The circling is brain damage. She needs nutrition. Add ground Mazuri blocks or Harlan Teklad to the formula. Also go to Esbilac rather than the goatsmilk. Be sure to transition slowly. Might also include ultraboost and add some babyfood. As she is likely not going to be going back to the trees anytime soon, if ever, give her all the lovin she wants. If she heals she will be the wild squirrel she was. If not, she needs something/one to live for. Also was she given prednisone when she was injured? There are a lot of folks here on TSB with a lot more experience with injured adults than I have, but I have been blessed to care for several car hit adults. Some have been returned to their wild homes, one will be released this spring. He was comatose for days and couldn’t swallow. One sweet girl may never be released. Love your girl, give her a variety of foods via syringe and offer soft foods occasionally to give her the opportunity to self feed, let her exercise in a protected place, touch and love on her so she knows she is safe. Give her time—lots of time.

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

Diggie's Friend (03-06-2019), island rehabber (03-06-2019), redwuff (03-06-2019), SqueakerTheLegend (03-07-2019), stepnstone (03-06-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    The circling is brain damage. She needs nutrition. Add ground Mazuri blocks or Harlan Teklad to the formula. Also go to Esbilac rather than the goatsmilk. Be sure to transition slowly. Might also include ultraboost and add some babyfood. As she is likely not going to be going back to the trees anytime soon, if ever, give her all the lovin she wants. If she heals she will be the wild squirrel she was. If not, she needs something/one to live for. Also was she given prednisone when she was injured? There are a lot of folks here on TSB with a lot more experience with injured adults than I have, but I have been blessed to care for several car hit adults. Some have been returned to their wild homes, one will be released this spring. He was comatose for days and couldn’t swallow. One sweet girl may never be released. Love your girl, give her a variety of foods via syringe and offer soft foods occasionally to give her the opportunity to self feed, let her exercise in a protected place, touch and love on her so she knows she is safe. Give her time—lots of time.
    Just so I have as much knowledge as possible - what would be the benefit of the regular esbilac over the goats milk esbilac?
    Yes she was given Prednisone and is still on it as it actually still seems to be making a HUGE difference. What baby foods would you suggest adding? I will look around and see where I can get Mazuri from these days.

Hopefully the regular Esbilac is cheaper if that's what she needs as money has been tight lately!

Great advice drom Chickenlegs -- I am wondering if Fox Valley 20/50 might also work for this girl, maybe with a measure of Ultra Boost as well? Blended especially for squirrels and cheaper than Esbilac. You would transition her slowly.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

SammysMom (03-13-2019), SqueakerTheLegend (03-07-2019)

Can you get a weight on this girl? I agree with chickenlegs, if she is able to go back to the trees, she will wild up again no problem. In the meantime love on her. What do her teeth look like?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

SqueakerTheLegend (03-07-2019)

She appears to nibble on puppy kibble and suet blocks but doesn't seem to actually be swallowing so her only real source of nutrition has been the Goats Milk Esbilac I have been giving her.

I would nix the puppy kibble.

I have successfully treated and released several car hit squirrels and can say from first hand experience, if the damage devastating these little one's will to survive and healing abilities are simply amazing. My mantra is if they are fighting, I am going to fight right along with them: Sounds like you have a fighter.

TSB's own CritterMom advised me with one of the first I treat: Sometimes these accidents knock the wild right out of them. And I will tell you sometimes that wild comes back quickly, so just be aware. CritterMom also has a "recipe" for doctoring up the Mazuri / Teklad if she does not show interest in them. Chickenleg's suggestion to mix them with formula will even soften them up if she has any teeth issues(?).

Amazon is selling Esbilac at a terrific price right now, especially if you have prime to save on shipping:
    https://www.amazon.com/Esbilac%C2%AE...ay&sr=8-1&th=1

Avocado would be an excellent fatty (good fats) food for her, and often they absolutely love avocado.

There is a chance she will recover... did the prednisone dosing protocol come from a vet?

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (03-06-2019), SqueakerTheLegend (03-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

There is a chance she will recover... did the prednisone dosing protocol come from a vet?

Spanky I sent it to her on 2/21
    SqueakerTheLegend, did you ever get the Gabapentin?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Perfect!
    I sent dosing for the Pred. so you can start that tonight at 8:00.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Spanky (03-06-2019), SqueakerTheLegend (03-07-2019)

SqueakerTheLegend, did you ever get the Gabapentin?
    I did not. Sadly right before I found her I sent my Gabapentin to someone that had a shipping delay on their dog's cancer meds - I sent the medication to her with the request that any leftovers when she got her medication would be made available for me to pick up again when she received hers. Instead - she or as she says "Her roommate" threw them away - no good deed I guess...

My mantra is if they are fighting, I am going to fight right along with them: Sounds like you have a fighter.
    That is exactly how I feel - as long as she fights - I will fight. This just couldn't happen at a worse time financially so I'm having to think outside the box.

Sometimes these accidents knock the wild right out of them. And I will tell you sometimes that wild comes back quickly, so just be aware.

My thoughts exactly - which is another reason to limit handling as much as she'll let me. The only time she really moves normally is when she's checking things out in my lap - otherwise she's circling.

What do her teeth look like?
    Visibly she is all normal. The swelling does seem to start to come back if I'm a bit late on her prednisone though so I don't know if that's in my head or if it's actually making that much of a difference.

I will update in just a moment with her weight. I believe she was 672 when she came in if I remember correctly.

OK so she is at 524 g now.

How much gabapentin do you need, and what strength? I have some 300mg capsules I can send you.

Hope your precious squirrely girl gets better soon!

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to gbrown:

Mel1959 (03-07-2019), Nancy in New York (03-07-2019), SqueakerTheLegend (03-07-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    How much gabapentin do you need, and what strength? I have some 300mg capsules I can send you.

Hope your precious squirrely girl gets better soon!
    As much as I appreciate it - I wouldn't want to risk it being sent through the mail. But thank you!

To the best of my knowledge there is no reason that meds can’t be sent through the mail provided they are not a controlled substance. I receive meds all the time from online pharmacies and have sent meds to members in need multiple times with no problem.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Diggie's Friend (03-09-2019), redwuff (03-08-2019)

Saw a reference up thread to feed avocado - excellent idea with all of the fats in it but do NOT feed the peels or pit - peel the thing and get rid of that and the pit where the squirrel absolutely can't get to it. The meat is fine, the pit and skin contains a toxin (persin).

21. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (03-07-2019), SqueakerTheLegend (03-07-2019), stepnstone (03-08-2019)

I was unaware of that previous thread at the time.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Nancy in New York (03-09-2019)

OK so we have made several HUGE leaps forward -

She is now drinking from a water bottle on her own and she is eating a soft special food that I made for her(YAYYYY!!!!!). No more syringe feeding and fluids for us!!

The food I made contains:

rodent blocks
    Pecans
    Walnuts
    Oatmeal

All of that is blended into a fine powder and held into a solid "cold cookie dough" type form with melted lard and a touch of organic unsweetened peanut butter.

I am not entirely thrilled about the last two but for now i want to get weight back on her, get her eating and it's the best I could think of to achieve that without additional steps.

Anything you'd add to it until she can eat solids again? (IF she can ever eat solids again)

Any other ideas for something to replace the lard and peanut butter if needed to keep the same consistency?

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SqueakerTheLegend from:

Diggie's Friend (03-13-2019)

Any other ideas for something to replace the lard and peanut butter if needed to keep the same consistency?
    Coconut oil and apple sauce (or fruity baby food).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Coconut oil and apple sauce (or fruity baby food).
    I forgot to say it does contain a bit of coconut oil as well. The baby food I left out as I was concerned with spoilage but she has been absolutely SCARFING this stuff so I may not have to worry about that once I have a good idea of how much she eats in a sitting and find a bowl solution that won't just get accidentally slid/pushed/tipped all over the place.

I still have high hopes that she will continue recovering and be able to be free one day - but for now I'm just happy to see her eating and drinking and to have a bit of a break from the constant feeding and giving fluids!

Can you roll them into a ball? Then she won’t need a bowl.

How is she doing physically? So glad she is eating!
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Can you roll them into a ball? Then she won’t need a bowl.

How is she doing physically? So glad she is eating!
    I actually broke it up into tiny crumbles so she can just lick them up without any chewing if she chooses not to.

Physically....well lets see...lets start at the beginning so we have a bit of perspective as far as how she's prgressed...

She started out not moving at all back when she was first hit. Once I realized she was not just going to pass and intervened she started having some involuntary responses which progressed to "slightly more than involuntary" responses. Then she began trying to get up but would immediately collapse. The second day she would lift her head to try to face the syringe as much as she could. within a week she was trying to walk but had no use of her front legs from the shoulders down. She could coordinate them to attempt to clean her face but when she tried to walk they both dragged from the shoulders. She then made a huge leap to walking but would only walk in circles with very limited control over the direction she was going when she was either against me/in my lap or laying down scooting across the floor. Reently she has shown more controlled movement/ less circling and can actually walk in a straight line or to the right (she circles to the left) if focused on something. She is also trying to get up to the low-hung hammock I made her and she has jumped up and grabbed onto the side of the cage vertically once. She still struggles with honing in on the EXACT position of the food and the water bottle but she knows the general area and is determined to get it right.

So....while she's far from normal she has come a VERY long way.

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SqueakerTheLegend:

Milo's Mom (03-13-2019), Nancy in New York (03-13-2019)