Thread: Squirrels with possible viral infection?

Default Squirrels with possible viral infection?

Nancy in New York suggested I post this here for other peoples thoughts and suggestions. I had four babies about 2 weeks old and I also have a squirrel rescued from a cat that's about 5 weeks. The babies all exhibited signs of pneumonia one by one and not all the same time. I had them on antibiotics and it didn't help. One by one they became extremely weak and died. Now the five week old is showing trouble swallowing which was the first sign each of the four babies made. Could it be kennel cough? I am so heartbroken over losing the four little babies I don't think I can stand losing sunshine my 5 week-old also. I don't mind taking her to a vet or anything else I need to do but I have trouble finding a vet that will see wildlife here. We have changed the cage she's in and all the bedding bathe her and always keep our hands extremely clean when we're touching her. I feel certain that her illness is viral in nature but I don't know what to give her. She's eating well peeing and pooping, but so were the four babies when they first started showing signs.

Update: Sunshine has been on Antibiotics and seems to be doing well. All is normal except the occasional yawn-swallow struggle when eating. Not all the time, but once in a while.

Default Re: Squirrels with possible viral infection?

Curt, if it's viral there isn't anything you can do other than treat the symptoms.
    Nebulizer to help with breathing, decongestant nose drops, gently using a bulb to suction the nose, etc.

Also, we don't know equivocally that it's viral. Maybe it was the wrong antibiotic.

I'm glad she seems better.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (08-29-2017)

No, I dont know for certain. Its just possible. Is the yawning when they eat significant?

I'm not sure what that means. Is she breathing better? Does she have nasal congestion?

She seems to be breathing well. Is still fidgety and active. She sneezes once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I'm not sure what that means. Is she breathing better? Does she have nasal congestion?
    They open their mouth like a yawn, as if they are having trouble swallowing.

It sounds like she has turned the corner. I'm glad to hear that.

I totally missed this thread.
    I told Curtlawyer when answering his pm, that the yawning may actually be
    guppy mouth, and sent a link to the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtlawyer View Post

Update: Sunshine has been on Antibiotics and seems to be doing well. All is normal except the occasional yawn-swallow struggle when eating. Not all the time, but once in a while.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

HRT4SQRLS (08-29-2017)

Curtlawyer, I don't know if it's viral but i have been wondering the same thing about my two youngest, now three weeks old. They came in in a very compromised state; four days later one was sneezing so I put him on Baytril. No help; he was wheezing and 'popping' in his chest. I thought bordatella (kennel cough) as well, and started doxycycline. After three days of doxy he was no better and his sister had started with it. We are now five days into this and both babies are getting stronger and eating better but still sneezing and the boy is still gasping! They have healthy appetites, which totally contradicts pneumonia, and pee/poop are perfect.

I put them back on Baytril and I'm saying prayers!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Curtlawyer (09-03-2017), Nancy in New York (08-29-2017)