Thread: Options for the little guy

Plaque_theRuiner Guest

Default Options for the little guy

Need help determining the fate of a pinkie since this is my first encounter with a pink baby anything I could use some help with this burden.

On Sunday the 26 around 8:30 pm I found an infant male about 2 weeks old at the base of a tree in my backyard night was coming so I brought him, I did not sleep at all having stayed up doing the research and in return he pulled through and survived albeit a bit bruised. Monday I returned him outdoors refreshed and anew in the early morning I made phone calls to the pros in the event the little guy would become an orphan, information was exchanged and some places would take him in but they're too far from me to travel to (Kaufman and Oak Cliff). The nearest rehabilitator which is listed in Plano did not return my call so I was hoping they would call me the next day. I continued on, bought some things for him to ensure he survived and by Tuesday he was still alive and kicking. Time passed by and I got no reply from within Plano and around supper time to make things worse I had been told that another infant was discovered but this one was long gone. Now its Wednesday and its come to decisions decisions.

Things are tight and hectic as it is and I fear he may not have long. He looks healthy enough, had minor bruising from the fall but that's starting to heal almost unnoticeable now I don't think he has internal injuries as there has been no blood in stool or urine and looks like his color is coming in or returning. I don't want to have to do him in myself as i'm a practitioner of ahimsa but I can't just keep leading him on like this so, what do I do with him?

Does anyone here got some inside info on rehabilitators in the area or maybe you are one? I've tried the ones listed on the twpd page but things weren't exactly looking bright. I doubt my vet would euthanize him and if they charged it wouldn't be an option anyways as I've been dipping into my college course savings for him. Maybe some one here more experienced lives nearby enough who is willing to take him off my hands and we could maybe make arrangements. I'm gonna continue calling around and hopefully he lives long enough to see that day I know i'm likely to fail and I've come to terms with that I just don't want that for him.

Default Re: Options for the little guy

With the tone of this posting I have moved it to Life Threatening for better exposure.
    Hopefully we may have members that know of someone or maybe can help.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Do we have anyone near by? This is absolutely heart breaking...poor lil pinkie And a fighter to still be hanging on

Plaque_theRuiner do you have him on heat? What are you feeding him....if you give us time we may find someone in your area...we do have Texas members I know you said you did research...so I hope you have him in a container (small plastic is fine for what you need) sitting half on a heating pad (that does not cut off) if you don't have a heating pad...you need to make a rice buddy (sock filled with dry rice) heat it in the microwave .....just 10-15 second increments...checking each time by squeezing. This way you will not have hot spots....he really needs to stay warm, he can not self regulate his temp, mom would be 102 degrees. You can pic up a 1cc syringe at most drug stores for free....just tell them you need it for meds....or you found a kitten you're feeding. Most give it without asking why. Then you need to feed him some really warm sugar water....he's probably dehydrated....feed him drop by drop....he will not need much....if you could post a pic of him next to something to gage his size...I'm assuming you don't have a scale (college student ) the scale would be the best....a 20 gram baby would drink 1 cc every 3 hours...I'm sorry if you've already started all this That would be great If not ...please try...at least til we check for help in your area. Things get more complicated as time goes by...because you will need formula...but hopefully we can find someone before then

Thank you for trying...and not giving up I hate when listed rehabbers don't return phone calls...we hear about it often here
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Has anyone contacted this person ...behind the scenes? I'm really worried

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

Plaque_theRuiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Has anyone contacted this person ...behind the scenes? I'm really worried
    Sorry for the late response i'm still getting used to the forum so for now an update not much the baby is sleeping right now. I went about getting some pics of him but he's a squirmy guy and he killed my digi so all my good shots are in there but for now i got something LQ oh it looks like his out in the open but theres a heat pack to the left we had just got done feeding so i placed him next to an eraser that is about 6.5 cm long and about 2 cm wide I used a shoe lace and kind of traced his out line, from the top of his head to his rear he's about 8cm long maybe a little over.

As for you questions I do not have him directly over the heat, 3 layers separate them and i have it split up so he has a cool side to crawl to. He is of course hydrated although I am worried about his pooping schedule so far he seems to doe it once a day for a total of 3 poops maybe i'm doing it wrong? I have been giving him the milk substitute listed on this forum from Jackie i'm aware it's not the best thing and since there's conflicting stuff about formula and goats milk in general I trust that its enough for now.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Plaque_theRuiner; 07-30-2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: context

I will be in Dallas this Saturday (Aug 1st). if I can help please let me know.
    Loyalty is not about the people who act true to
    your face. It's about who remains true
    behind
    your back.

Quote Originally Posted by sassysquirrel View Post
    I will be in Dallas this Saturday (Aug 1st). if I can help please let me know.
    Plague, this is a WONDERFUL option. Sassysquirrel has a lot of experience raising baby squirrels.
    Maybe you two can link up on Saturday. You will just love her!

Oh what an adorable bundle Sassysquirrel is amazing She would be great I'm so relieved someone is near I hope that's close

Yes... Jackie's formula is good.... I've used it before and it's a great alternative....thank you, thank you I swear that little one looks like he/she is going to be black how sweet is that?

Oh and I'd guess 25 g...by the pic....but again some of our pinkie experts would have a better idea

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

Plaque_theRuiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Oh what an adorable bundle Sassysquirrel is amazing She would be great I'm so relieved someone is near I hope that's close

Yes... Jackie's formula is good.... I've used it before and it's a great alternative....thank you, thank you I swear that little one looks like he/she is going to be black how sweet is that?

Oh and I'd guess 25 g...by the pic....but again some of our pinkie experts would have a better idea
    Depending on how deep into Dallas and traffic there is we're talking about an hour maybe more and currently I'm dependent on Public transportation, pooling or borrowing the one working car we own, it'd be somewhat difficult to meet up.

And I've never actually seen a black squirrel so I doubt he could be that considering my neighborhood is littered with acorns i'm bound to have seen one, we do however have plenty of what I think are Fox Squirrels running about.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.