Thread: Personality Change Southern Flying Squirrel

Default Personality Change Southern Flying Squirrel

Hey All,
    Abby, our female flying squirrel, +/- 6 months old, has changed her behavior over the past several days. She's always been a sweetheart and very gentle. She's started sleeping a lot longer and when I go to get her out of her sleeping pouch or out of my shirt if she's crawled in for a nap, she will squeek and nip me. ( No, it doesn't really hurt ) I'm curious if this is the seasonal change since spring is coming, or if something else is going on. Once I have her out she acts like her sweet normal self. The nips don't really hurt, so that will in no way stop me from loving and playing with her as always. ( She's the deadliest finger fighter in the south, lol ) If this is the seasonal change, is there anything I can do for her, or do I just grin and bear it? I also wanted to ask if there is a section of the site dedicated to flying squirrels, If there is I can't seem to locate it. All comments and suggestions are appreciated,

Thanks, Dave

Default Re: Personality Change Southern Flying Squirrel

I'm not a flyer expert but now is the time that most squirrels are going into breeding season and can get rather testy. For some it's quick, for some it lasts awhile. Just make sure that there's nothing irritating her like new smells such as deodorant, detergent, hand cream, etc.

Default Re: Personality Change Southern Flying Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Davefowler View Post
    Hey All,
    Abby, our female flying squirrel, +/- 6 months old, has changed her behavior over the past several days. She's always been a sweetheart and very gentle. She's started sleeping a lot longer and when I go to get her out of her sleeping pouch or out of my shirt if she's crawled in for a nap, she will squeek and nip me. ( No, it doesn't really hurt ) I'm curious if this is the seasonal change since spring is coming, or if something else is going on. Once I have her out she acts like her sweet normal self. The nips don't really hurt, so that will in no way stop me from loving and playing with her as always. ( She's the deadliest finger fighter in the south, lol ) If this is the seasonal change, is there anything I can do for her, or do I just grin and bear it? I also wanted to ask if there is a section of the site dedicated to flying squirrels, If there is I can't seem to locate it. All comments and suggestions are appreciated,

Thanks, Dave
    Flying Squirrel Info: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/f...Squirrel-Forum

How you get there: From the front page, scroll down to "Breed Specific, Pet Squirrels and UK Information" then to "Breed Specific" and there you have flying squirrelville.

I am very glad you specified she was the Southern Champion Finger Wrestler because my little Laz got just a bit upset at that until I pointed out the regional difference, and that he is the Northern champ!

She may just be getting a little protective of her "nest." Try making absolutely sure she is awake and knows what is happening when you grab her - perhaps she is just startled. Could be hormonal, too.