Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with antibiotics

Default Help with antibiotics

I need help on which of three antibiotics to give my seven year old baby boy Rufus that weighs about 1.5 lbs. he has an abscess in his mouth where he broke his top teeth out. I have 500mg amoxicillin capsules, 500mg flaygl tablets , and 500mg cephalexin capsules. I think I spelled those correctly, my apologies for any spelling errors with the antibiotic names.

Default Re: Help with antibiotics

I’m needing to know which is best to give him and how to convert it into doses for him. Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufusmommy View Post
    I need help on which of three antibiotics to give my seven year old baby boy Rufus that weighs about 1.5 lbs. he has an abscess in his mouth where he broke his top teeth out. I have 500mg amoxicillin capsules, 500mg flaygl tablets , and 500mg cephalexin capsules. I think I spelled those correctly, my apologies for any spelling errors with the antibiotic names.
    Hi There,

Is it possible to get more exact on Rufus weight ?? (important for meds dosing)

He is closer to 2 pounds

My anxiety is through the roof because I’ve tried getting help and this is the closet that I have been to getting it. I greatly appreciate you.

Hi RufusMommy and welcome to The Squirrel Board! I don't want to cause any further anxiety for you but I do have a couple of pertinent questions;
    1) how did Rufus come to break his top teeth and are you actually referring to Rufus completely breaking off hi 2 top incisors?!?
    2) I'm not doubting you but just want to ask how you determined that Rufus has an abscess
    3) has there been any drainage from the are of Rufus's dental injury such as pus or blood?
    4) Does Rufus have an underlying dental condition such as malocclusion?
    5) are you fortunate enough to have a Veterinarian who has seen Rufus in the past or a Squirrel Friendly and at least Rodent experienced Veterinarian who will see Rufus?
    6) Is the Amoxicillin just Amoxicillin or is it combined with Clavulanate?
    7) Some comments:

All of the antibiotics you have listed can and have been used with dental infections. IF this is a true abscess (a pus pocket), these oftentimes need to be drained for resolution to occur as antibiotics do not penetrate well into an abscess and are often partially inactivated by the conditions within the abscess! An abscess requires a surgical procedure called an Incision & Drainage. Quite often, an abscess begins to drain spontaneously and this can aid in resolution. Going back to the antibiotics, IF the Amoxicillin is actually the combination I asked about (a human Brand of this is Augmentin) or you can obtain this from family or friends; this would be paws down, the best option. If not, then any of the medication you have would be worth a try and there would probably some potential advantage to use both the Flagyl and the Amoxicillin!

Again, as MrSSG mentioned, an accurate weight of Rufus is essential as dosing is based upon the weight of the Squirrel!

What are you giving Rufus for food? A quality Squirrel Formula such as Fox Valley 20/50 or even Esbilac POWDERED Puppy Milk Replacer can be of great benefit for providing nutrition for a Squirrel who might be unable or reluctant to bite and/or chew because of mouth or dental pain! A constant source of pure water should also be available for Rufus and it should be determined that he is indeed drinking this as maintaining adequate normal hydration is essential.

Regards,
    SamtheSQuirrel

Quote Originally Posted by supersquirrelgirl View Post
    Hi There,

Is it possible to get more exact on Rufus weight ?? (important for meds dosing)
    Thank you for responding! Yes he broke them by chewing on his cage, which he is never locked in, he just likes to chew on the top of it even though I’ve bought him chew accessories he chooses his cage regardless. His breath is stinky, but I’ve not seen any pus pockets. The amoxicillin is just amoxicillin it’s the pink and blue capsules. I unfortunately don’t have a vet that would even try to evaluate him, so I’m desperate to get the correct information on dosing him with the antibiotics I have. Thank you so much for responding and helping, Rufus is my life and has been since the day he was born. He will be 8 years old September 27th

Also he has been eating dry baby cereal with probiotics mixed with a mixed fruit and veggie baby food I mix it with activa vanilla yogurt and Henry’s healthy pets protein powder. He is a very picky eater so this is his favorite food along with fresh avocados and arugula

He has maintained drinking water as usual, he hasn’t had any change of habits or anything other than not being able to eat his favorite snack fresh sugar snap peas he tries to use his bottom teeth but it frustrates him and he will start throwing them on the floor lol he is literally like a human child

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rufusmommy from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-26-2024)

Hi Again,

What I suggest is start with Amoxi and then start asking friends, family, others to find Augmentin if possible. Augmentin is very common prescribe to humans. You just need one pill.

so for weight, you said 1.5lbs (680 grams) or 2 lbs (909 grams)....big range difference for dosing to not under-dose or over-dose. If you have no other method to get closer, lets pick 800 grams to move forward. I strongly suggest you get a digital scale in future.

your amoxi is a 500mg cap, blue/red type ?? sure its 500mg ??

I'm standing-by....

Hello ?? You there ??

Please confirm its Amoxi 500mg blue/red or blue/pink capsule

Yes it’s 500 mg blue and pink capsules

Sorry I was fixing Rufus some food

Yes it’s 500 mg blue and pink capsules
    Ok. I'll work this up and send you dosing info by private mail (PM)

Thank you so much ❤️❤️

I’ve not received an email confirmation for the group yet, will I still get the PM?

I just seen the email, disregard my above message.

PM sent. sorry for the delay

I just seen the email, disregard my above message.
    Not sure what email you have seen but my PM was not sent yet.

I just sent it

Should have asked this ealrlier, Do you think he's in any pain from broken tooth ??

Something is the root cause of the infection/abscess.

TSB is here to help so just reach out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast