Thread: Leg injury. Two-year-old wild female grey. Condition deteriorating.

Default Leg injury. Two-year-old wild female grey. Condition deteriorating.

Hello,

Gray squirrel (female, 2 years old). Name: Orphan.

First contact: May 2023. She was skinny and hungry. She came to eat from my hand without knowing me. I noticed that her tail was crooked, her fur irregular, that she had slight morphological differences compared to other squirrels, and that the foot of her right hind leg was not flat on the ground, but at an angle.

She has been coming to see me for a year (fall, winter, spring, summer). Her condition has greatly improved since the first contact. Also, her movements and jumps seemed normal during this time.

For the last two months, her left hind leg has had a lesion at the knee (see photos). This lesion has been red, black (scab?), and remains hairless around it (she nibbles at it?).

For the past two weeks, she has not put any weight on this leg, and her movements (jumps, running) are clumsy.

I'm thinking genetic problem or event that affected her development, then got worse with age and finally gave way.

In this condition she won't be able to evade predators for long...

What do you think? What are our options for intervention?

Note: I am equipped to take care of her if she becomes NR (nest box in outside cage under tree, food, etc.). I will try to get her to set up camp there.

Thank you for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Default Re: Leg injury. Two-year-old wild female grey. Condition deteriorating.

Hello, I'm seeing it as the right hind leg at the knee joint.

Appears to be an outward twist at the knee which causes the ankle & foot to lift. Has she ever injured the left knee in the past ?? Maybe a dislocation or fracture that healed incorrectly ?? Does she extend the left leg in normal fashion ??

Any possibility of x-rays of left knee ?? That might answer many questions.

Holding leg/foot up to not put weight on it would indicate its painful. If Vet visit is not possible, maybe some ibuprofen for relief.

Hoping other TSB members will give comments.

Mr.SSG

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

TheAcornStash (07-05-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by supersquirrelgirl View Post
    Hello, I'm seeing it as the right hind leg at the knee joint.

Appears to be an outward twist at the knee which causes the ankle & foot to lift. Has she ever injured the left knee in the past ?? Maybe a dislocation or fracture that healed incorrectly ?? Does she extend the left leg in normal fashion ??

Any possibility of x-rays of left knee ?? That might answer many questions.

Holding leg/foot up to not put weight on it would indicate its painful. If Vet visit is not possible, maybe some ibuprofen for relief.

Hoping other TSB members will give comments.

Mr.SSG
    Sorry for confusion - I mention left leg but mean right leg above.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

Sorry for confusion - I mention left leg but mean right leg above.
    Hi supersquirrelgirl, yes I meant the right hind leg but can't edit the post...

Thanks for your insight.
    As I mentioned, she has had something anomalous there for a year but seemingly managed to get around. Now, it's getting worse...

I'm looking for a vet that will take her.
    I really hoped this would resolve on its own; they are resilient little creatures!

Hi Again,

Understood on edits, I just caught mine error before the edit time expired.

My yard is filled with all wild foxes and greys that have past injuries. Right now I'm dealing with a special fox (Ms. Mo) for her recurring shoulder abscess. They are indeed resilient creatures but when they hurt, it hurts.

I hope you can find a Vet who will examine and hopefully do an x-ray. That will give insight into what's going on and what treatment is needed.

Mr.SSG

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

Hi Again,

Understood on edits, I just caught mine error before the edit time expired.

My yard is filled with all wild foxes and greys that have past injuries. Right now I'm dealing with a special fox (Ms. Mo) for her recurring shoulder abscess. They are indeed resilient creatures but when they hurt, it hurts.

I hope you can find a Vet who will examine and hopefully do an x-ray. That will give insight into what's going on and what treatment is needed.

Mr.SSG
    Thanks again SSG,
    I'm doing all I can but it's going to be a close call; she not only has to deal with the current injury but also with two local females (Esmeralda, 8 yo, wild, has been coming for 6 years, several litters in my tree nest box, and her cousin (?) Aix; very territorial, 1 small litter in cage nest box, also protects Esmeralda's offspring) who pressure her away when she comes to me for help. It's rough out there...

Understand. Same dynamics here. Yard is full of 12 squirrels with male/female mix. Ms. Mo was total area boss but with injury, she move to new territory to avoid conflict. When she feels good, she exercises her power. (she is big fox female)

Do your best and keep TSB posted with update. If Vet is looking unlikely and you feel she is in pain, we can dose up some ibuprofen as needed.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

TheAcornStash (07-06-2024)

Understand. Same dynamics here. Yard is full of 12 squirrels with male/female mix. Ms. Mo was total area boss but with injury, she move to new territory to avoid conflict. When she feels good, she exercises her power. (she is big fox female)

Do your best and keep TSB posted with update. If Vet is looking unlikely and you feel she is in pain, we can dose up some ibuprofen as needed.
    Thanks. Will do. Working on a Vet. Little Orphan is a fighter; she has outlived quite a few that were healthier than her.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TheAcornStash from:

supersquirrelgirl (07-06-2024)