Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel Pox

Default Squirrel Pox

I have a squirrel that has what I thought was mange but after contacting a wildlife rescue I am being told that it is squirrel pox.

The wildlife rescue has told me that there is no treatment and that I should take the squirrel to the Humane Society for euthanasia.

Online thought I am getting mixed results from some sites saying it is something that the squirrel can survive and others saying it is fatal.

I've come to this site for advice?

Is taking the squirrel to be euthanized my only option or can I do something to give it a fighting chance?

I have attached two pictures to get an opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Squirrel Pox

Update:

I found some of the other threads including the Stormhaven protocol (link should someone else need this https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...14#post1260014)

Ivermectin

I was able to buy Panomec Ivermectin for a saddle shop. I have the squirrel a tiny amount (little less than a grain of rice).

My understanding is that I should repeat this in 7 days and then again in 14 days. Is this correct?

Antibiotic Treatment

The protocol says I should be giving the squirrel Baytril and Metacam but I have no idea where to buy those in Canada. Normally I would drive to the States as American pet stores tend to sell medications but tomorrow is the 4th of July (also checking the pet store it seems I would need a prescription). I will try my vet but historically they have refused to prescribe me stuff for wild animals when I have tried to help in the past.

Does anyone know where I can get these in Canada?

If I can't get these what-- if any-- are alternatives?

What are the dosages -- the post says how often and how man days but not how much?

Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

The Ivermectin doesn't treat squirrel pox - the "pox" (which is actually squirrel fibroma) is viral and ivermectin kills parasites. However, it is a good idea to use it because mange mites very frequently take advantage of all of the messed up skin and the weakened immune system and climb on board to add to the misery and ivermectin WILL treat the mange mites. I always use it in addition to the main drug which is either Acyclovir or Valacyclovir, both of them are prescription drugs used for chicken pox, herpes and shingles. It is one of those "ask all of your friends if they have any" kind of drug. These are both antivirals.

The antibiotics - the Baytril is an antibiotic which doesn't treat viruses but may be useful for skin related infections secondary to the pox, though I would choose a different drug and have never added an antibiotic in to treating pox.

So feel free to do the ivermectin - if mange is thinking of adding to this poor creature's misery it will wipe them out. Ask around and see if you can find any of the acyclovir or valacyclovir.

The last thing you can do is to help boost their immune systems by supplying him with as much healthy, filling food he can eat. It has the benefit if not only helping to boost the broken immune system, it also makes the squrrel go home and go to bed where it is less likely to be taken by a predator as the sores often are in the eye area and I have seen them all but blinded by sores on the lids.

5. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Charley Chuckles (07-03-2024), island rehabber (07-04-2024), Naldinho (07-03-2024), Stevelisa (07-04-2024), SugarMom (07-04-2024), supersquirrelgirl (07-03-2024)

Thank you for the response

I've trapped the squirrel so predators are not currently a risk.

I've spread word that I am looking for Acyclovir or Valacyclovir but I'm not optimistic. Nobody gets chicken pox since they started vaccinating for it.

I would love to get Erythromycin for the eyes as he is having difficulty seeing but again needs a prescription -- any other options for the eyes?

I am concerned that I did not give enough ivermectin but worried about giving too much. The syringe I have is for a 600lb horse so I basically just touched a nut and then removed some with my finger.

My current plan is

1) Buy the ingredients for Stormhaven's nut balls -- my concern is that I found some other posts saying not to feed them nuts as that fuels the virus so not sure what to do but will buy the ingredients and hopefully by the time I get back someone will confirm if this is something I should give him or not.

2) Betadine -- I googled this and I can apparently get it at a drug store so will get some to clean to areas. People reference diluting it but it seems to be a spray.

3) Nystop again is prescription but I found a discussion where someone used Gold Bond Medicated Powder so I'll get some of that. If that is a bad idea hopefully someone will have posted that before I return from my shopping trip.

Questions

1) What should be feeding? Currently gave him some peanuts and small piece of corn on the cob which he just woke up and started eating which makes me feel better.

2) What else can I be doing beyond my plan but given the limitations that Canada is very restrictive on pet meds and I was shocked that I could get the ivermectin. Basically I want to give this little guy his best shot. What can I get over the counter that will help?

3) I found a L-Lysine Immune Support for Cats -- Some of the posts said to increase L-Lysine so would these be useful and safe?

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

Ingredients:
    Active Ingredients per 2 Soft Chews:
    L-Lysine (Monohydrochloride) 500 mg
    Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 100 mg
    Astragalus Root 50 mg

Inactive Ingredients:
    Brewers Dried Yeast, Canola Oil, Dried Potato Product, Flaxseed, Glycerin, Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Mixed Tocopherols, Natural Flavoring, Rosemary Extract, Sorbic Acid, Tapioca Starch, Vegetable Oil, Water

What is normal activity for a squirrel?

He peed during the night but he is mostly just spending all his time in the towel that is wrapped like a small bowl/cave.

He ate yesterday corn and peanuts and he even tried to eat a L-Lysine cat treat but only nibbled on the edges but didn't eat the whole thing. Today seems to have no interest in either the nut ball I made nor a piece of melon I gave him.

Is it normal for squirrels to just sleep all the time?

Squirrels are most active at dawn and dusk and snooze most of the day in between. Your guy doesn't feel well and so he's welcoming the rest that's why he's not active. Gold Bond powder is excellent for treating pox as it keeps the lesions very dry and that's what you want. Don't wash them or put any kind of cream on them, they need to dry up. Anything you read on the stormhaven protocol is excellent advice; I used most of it for my own protocol which saved five squirrels from pox.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Naldinho (07-04-2024), supersquirrelgirl (07-04-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Naldinho View Post
    I've spread word that I am looking for Acyclovir or Valacyclovir but I'm not optimistic. Nobody gets chicken pox since they started vaccinating for it.

2) Betadine -- I googled this and I can apparently get it at a drug store so will get some to clean to areas. People reference diluting it but it seems to be a spray.
    Hello Naldinho,

You are getting help from 2 of the BEST people on TSB; Island Rehabber and CritterMom.

Regarding meds: Acyclovir (Zovirax®) vs Valacyclovir (Valtrex®), they are anti-viral synthetics prescribed for chicken pox (children), shingles (adult), and various herpes breakouts. I hope you can find either in your search.

Regarding Betadine: diluting is needed depending on the strength. Over the counter liquid or spray is from 5% to 10%. Target diluted concentration is 0.5% to 1% so this means 1:10 or 1:20 ratio. General comments are mix until color or weak ice tea look. Please read comment by Island Rehabber about keeping pox eruption sites dry using Gold Bond.

Thank you for taking care of this squirrel for his pox outbreak. Its very painful and debilitating as it runs its course (much like chicken pox and shingles to humans). The very best luck to your efforts. Please keep TSB updated. Thank you!

Mr.SSG

Quote Originally Posted by supersquirrelgirl View Post
    Regarding meds: Acyclovir (Zovirax®) vs Valacyclovir (Valtrex®), they are anti-viral synthetics prescribed for chicken pox (children), shingles (adult), and various herpes breakouts. I hope you can find either in your search.
    Mr.SSG
    Unfortunately I have exhausted all my options on this short of knocking over a pharmacy and have come up empty handed.

The only option I have is a online pharmacy that I might have a chance of getting them to sell it to me.

My googling has led me to believe that if this was a red squirrel it would be fatal but the for gray squirrels he will likely survive. Is that true?

Obviously it is better to have the anti-viral medication but what is the difference in positive outcome between just supportive care and having the anti-virals?

Also what kind of time am I working with? -- we first noticed the squirrel was in distress around July 1 and we captured him July 3rd -- he may have been sick before July 1 but that was when we first saw him. Assuming I could get the online pharmacy to sell me the medication I'd be looking at July 9th or 10th before I would have it. Is that still beneficial or would that be too late with either a positive or negative outcome resolved by then?

I appreciate all the help.

I seem to be able to get

1 year supply
    Cream Only
    12 x Acyclovir 5% Ointment 4g

Is this of any use or di I need the pills?

I checked my connections here and no way to get either of these meds. Both are not popular as general vet meds. Sorry!

I'm not expeienced in squirrel pox so I'll let the experts comment. Sorry again!

Instead of nuts and corn, I would start giving him avocado, mushroom, and even apple to boost his immune system. Those foods are filler and not very nutritious. Avocado is a favorite food and for many and also soft so hopefully it’s easy for him to eat it. Also, here is a link to healthy foods to increase variety if his appetite picks up. Let me know if the link doesn’t work.

https://www.henryspets.com/content/H...n2014Print.pdf

Thank you for the response

I've trapped the squirrel so predators are not currently a risk.

I would love to get Erythromycin for the eyes as he is having difficulty seeing but again needs a prescription -- any other options for the eyes?

I am concerned that I did not give enough ivermectin but worried about giving too much. The syringe I have is for a 600lb horse so I basically just touched a nut and then removed some with my finger.

My current plan is

1) Buy the ingredients for Stormhaven's nut balls -- my concern is that I found some other posts saying not to feed them nuts as that fuels the virus so not sure what to do but will buy the ingredients and hopefully by the time I get back someone will confirm if this is something I should give him or not.

3) Nystop again is prescription but I found a discussion where someone used Gold Bond Medicated Powder so I'll get some of that. If that is a bad idea hopefully someone will have posted that before I return from my shopping trip.

Questions

1) What should be feeding? Currently gave him some peanuts and small piece of corn on the cob which he just woke up and started eating which makes me feel better.

2) What else can I be doing beyond my plan but given the limitations that Canada is very restrictive on pet meds and I was shocked that I could get the ivermectin. Basically I want to give this little guy his best shot. What can I get over the counter that will help?

3) I found a L-Lysine Immune Support for Cats -- Some of the posts said to increase L-Lysine so would these be useful and safe?

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

Ingredients:
    Active Ingredients per 2 Soft Chews:
    L-Lysine (Monohydrochloride) 500 mg
    Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) 100 mg
    Astragalus Root 50 mg

Inactive Ingredients:
    Brewers Dried Yeast, Canola Oil, Dried Potato Product, Flaxseed, Glycerin, Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Mixed Tocopherols, Natural Flavoring, Rosemary Extract, Sorbic Acid, Tapioca Starch, Vegetable Oil, Water

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lachy22:

island rehabber (07-05-2024), Naldinho (07-05-2024)

Good advice all around. I would use the L-lysine, as it has often been recommended for squirrels by Christina Clark, a long time rehabber of squirrels and the retired owner of Chris's Squirrels and More. It is possible that with your supportive care and a stress-free environment this squirrel may recover. It will depend a lot on his own immune system and how well he can fight it off.

Note: and yes-- use the Gold Bond! ��
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Naldinho (07-05-2024)

He has no interest in any of the fruit (blueberries, strawberries, melon, pineapple) but he was interested in the apple which makes me feel better as he didn't look great this morning. Going to go get him some avocado.

Still no luck on the anti-viral medication. I can likely have the cream shipped to me late next week but I have no idea if the cream is safe for internal consumption.

Would like to move him to a large enclosure. I have a dog crate but concerned about the slits. He likely can't squeeze through but afraid he'd try and hurt himself although currently he is very sedentary. He is currently in a cat carrier and that seems a bit small.

He mostly just sleeps which I find concerning but really happy he was interested in the apple.

What is the typical amount of time required to fight off the virus and what can I look for as encouraging signs of progress?

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Naldinho from:

supersquirrelgirl (07-05-2024)

I'm really concerned about my little guy -- he seems to be getting worse.

I am concerned that he might be in pain and that I am prolonging his suffering.

His breathing is seems more animated (whole body expands and contacts with breaths) sometimes. I don't know if this is because he is in a strange environment and scared or because he is getting worse?

What am I supposed to look for as signs of improvement or signs that I should take him to be euthanized?

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Naldinho from:

supersquirrelgirl (Yesterday)

Hi Naldinho,

Thank you for all your efforts caring for this squirrel. Squirrel pox is a painful disease and does challenge squirrels with compromised immune systems. As you read and heard, it can be fatal but many squirrels have been saved..

I'm not an expert in this area so hoping other TSB members with more experience will respond. From what I know, if the pox are still forming and/or still erupting, and legions are not drying up, the infection is still active in the squirrel. Without anti-viral meds, the recovery time is longer. Unfortunately, sometimes its a losing battle.

Is the squirrel still eating ?? Do you see or feel that the squirrel is still fighting to live ?? I don't like to give up but having the squirrel in endless pain does beg the question. We can dose meds for pain but is that the right answer.

Mr.SSG

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to supersquirrelgirl from:

Naldinho (Today)

Has he been eating more, drinking, able to lie down/sleep? Were you able to put the gold bond powder on him yet?

!!!! ALSO: If someone does not reply with some valcycovir, can anyone comment if Abreva would help? It's the only OTC I could find that Amazon could deliver pretty quickly. !!!!

I'm really concerned about my little guy -- he seems to be getting worse.

I am concerned that he might be in pain and that I am prolonging his suffering.

His breathing is seems more animated (whole body expands and contacts with breaths) sometimes. I don't know if this is because he is in a strange environment and scared or because he is getting worse?

What am I supposed to look for as signs of improvement or signs that I should take him to be euthanized?

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lachy22 from:

Naldinho (Today)

Hi Naldinho and thank you for caring so much about this little Squirrel!
    I have a few questions to ask of you and depending upon what your responses are I may send some suggestions to you via a PM or I may post them on the open Board;
    1) do you have any detailed photos including close-up views of the Squirrel's lesions that suggest the diagnosis of Squirrel Pox? Those would be very helpful to ensure that the current working diagnosis is correct, questionable or even inconsistent with the photos!
    2) Am I correct in assuming from reading your posts that this Squirrel is a wild Squirrel? What species and do you thing he is an adult or juvenile (I know it may be difficult to tell)?
    3) How was he trapped?
    4) Are you making fresh water available for him at all times and how are you doing this (water bottle, dish or whatever)?
    5) Have you been able to locate quality Rodent Blocks for food? I know that PetSmart of Canada sells Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet which is an excellent food for Squirrels! Here is a link for you; https://www.petsmart.ca/small-pet/fo...d-5328148.html
    6) What constitutes your Squirrel's living quarters (cage, box, whatever) and bedding?
    7) A few comments; I'm have reviewed the StormHaven stuff before although I have never used it. I'm not necessarily being dismissive of it either! We all want to do whatever we can to try to help our Squirrels! So-called immune boosters (or whatever anyone wants to call them) most likely won't harm a Squirrel and it conceivably may help with the recovery process, assuming there is one but these are not cures! The reality is that Squirrel Pox is caused by a virus and genetics may play a significant part in establishing a Squirrels level of vulnerability to this condition. As examples would be the the Grays in the UK; they are frequently found to be resistant to the disease! Complicating things with Pox is that we have NOTHING that definitively treats the virus that causes Squirrel Pox!

Again, I know that Valtrex and Acyclovir have been used as treatments for Squirrel Pox but these are antiherpetic medications. They probably do no harm and I certainly am NOT saying they are useless. Depending on what we (you) decide, I will even send a couple of Valtrex tablets to you (it would need to be on Monday) but please, first read through my post and answer the questions and reflect upon the Squirrels situation a little further as I see you are already so compassionately doing!

Ordinary antibiotics do NOT kill viruses!

It is known that Squirrel Pox is NOT inevitably fatal but many do die from it.

Trying certain medications, supplements and whatever may certainly be considered an option in trying to help Squirrels with Pox and having a Pox stricken Squirrel in captivity will certainly make utilizing any "treatment" options easier; the sad thing is that there probably is quite a degree of discomfort experienced by a Squirrel with a "full blown" case of Pox and my humble suggestion is to simply make this little Squirrel as comfortable as possible minimize any direct interventions such as washing or spraying the lesions.

No Squirrel has come out and verified this but I feel quite strongly that these lesions are painful they have commonly been found to interfere substantially with a Squirrel's daily functioning as they can form over joints and muscles, on the eyelids and around the mouth! Also, in line with my Question 2 if the Squirrel is a wild Squirrel; he is most like very frightened, apprehensive regarding his new state of being a captive Squirrel. By the way, I am NOT suggesting that you simply let him loose and I am certainly NOT trying to fault you about trapping him (if that is what you did); it is only that this poor little Squirrel has some major stressors to deal with (the disease, discomfort, captivity, etc) and I feel very sorry for him!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

27. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SamtheSquirrel2018:

Naldinho (Today), supersquirrelgirl (Today)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    1) do you have any detailed photos including close-up views of the Squirrel's lesions that suggest the diagnosis of Squirrel Pox? Those would be very helpful to ensure that the current working diagnosis is correct, questionable or even inconsistent with the photos!
    We were just handling him and he is quite upset but I will take photos and post them today -- at night he had no issue being handled but this morning he got scared. I'll post one picture from a distance now but he has the fibroma all along his underside, including his penis. I believe the face is starting to show some improvement but this morning was the first time we saw his underside.

2) Am I correct in assuming from reading your posts that this Squirrel is a wild Squirrel? What species and do you thing he is an adult or juvenile (I know it may be difficult to tell)?
    He is juvenile -- probably a few months old.

3) How was he trapped?
    With a box. It took some time but we have dealt with helping feral cats and injured birds so not the first time.

4) Are you making fresh water available for him at all times and how are you doing this (water bottle, dish or whatever)?
    Yes -- he has two water dishes. One is a large jar lid the other a paper coffee cup cut in half. I've watched him drink from the large lid twice so he knows it is there and is drinking.

5) Have you been able to locate quality Rodent Blocks for food? I know that PetSmart of Canada sells Mazuri Rat and Mouse Diet which is an excellent food for Squirrels! Here is a link for you; https://www.petsmart.ca/small-pet/fo...d-5328148.html
    I only found out about rodent blocks yesterday so no. We did buy him Oxbow Essentials Adult Rat Food but then never gave it to him because some stuff online said not to feed squirrels rat food. We still have it and if this is what we should be feeding him then please let me know and we'll give him a bowl.

Currently for food he has a bowl of mixed collard greens and arugula as well two slices of red grapefruit cut into six pieces. He has not touched any of it but this was after we tried to handle him to examine him and so he is currently in the corner calming down.

I just came back from shopping for him and in addition to the collard greens, arugula and grapefruit I bought him a papaya, oranges and a mango.

For the most part he has been eating nuts and apple. He was not interested in any of the other fruit I tried previously but does like peeled apple. Nuts we started with what we had, which was unsalted peanuts, but have now moved him to mostly almonds and we scrape off the brown part. He has had some other nuts mostly leftover nuts from making the squirrel balls which he had no interest in but he does like the hazelnuts, walnuts and pecans.

6) What constitutes your Squirrel's living quarters (cage, box, whatever) and bedding?
    He is in a large cage -- 31x48x31 but because the bars are too far apart I have lined the bottom 16-18 inches of the cage on all sides with cardboard box so that he does not hurt himself trying to squeeze through the cracks. He has shown no interest in attempting to escape.

He has a cat carrying case inside the large case that he is using as his sleeping area.

We also got him a terracotta pot base that he thought he might use as a foundation for a bed.

Other than that he he a large slice of tree trunk and one of those stick things for rats/gerbils that we got from Petsmart that we've shaped into a small tunnel.

For bedding he has two fleece blankets and some dish towels as well as two winter hats as we thought those would be a good bed.

Again, I know that Valtrex and Acyclovir have been used as treatments for Squirrel Pox but these are antiherpetic medications. They probably do no harm and I certainly am NOT saying they are useless. Depending on what we (you) decide, I will even send a couple of Valtrex tablets to you (it would need to be on Monday) but please, first read through my post and answer the questions and reflect upon the Squirrels situation a little further as I see you are already so compassionately doing!
    That would be greatly appreciated if it will help -- we have a FedEx account we could give you. I have exhausted all options including pretending to have herpes to get a prescription online but they would only give me the ointment which I wasn't sure if it was safe for internal consumption.

Trying certain medications, supplements and whatever may certainly be considered an option in trying to help
    I gave him some Ivermectin on July 3rd. I realize that does nothing for pox but it kept coming up as something to give for secondary issues. I think I under dosed but my goal was for a grain of rice size amount. My plan was to give a second dose on the 10th unless told not to.

I bought l-lysine cat treats because I read it help reduce virus replication. He chewed on the treat but didn't eat much and after the first one he didn't touch the second or third. I have liquid l-lysine arriving today which I was going to add to his food.

I attempted the squirrel balls which most of the ingredients but he tried a little but like the cat treat after the initial test he ignored them.

We have a lot of human supplements and I'm willing to buy him whatever if we don't have it but the more I read the more I'm confused about what to do.

Squirrels with Pox and having a Pox stricken Squirrel in captivity will certainly make utilizing any "treatment" options easier; the sad thing is that there probably is quite a degree of discomfort experienced by a Squirrel with a "full blown" case of Pox and my humble suggestion is to simply make this little Squirrel as comfortable as possible minimize any direct interventions such as washing or spraying the lesions.
    That is mostly what we have been doing. I bought Gold Bond but when I got home I saw that it says to call poison control if ingested so I decided to not use it. We did apply a little diluted Betadine on one fibroma but all the ones we could see without handling him too much are dry and closed so I don't see any reason to use antiseptic. I bought some hydrogen peroxide this morning on the fruit/veggie run should it be needed.

No Squirrel has come out and verified this but I feel quite strongly that these lesions are painful they have commonly been found to interfere substantially with a Squirrel's daily functioning as they can form over joints and muscles, on the eyelids and around the mouth! Also, in line with my Question 2 if the Squirrel is a wild Squirrel; he is most like very frightened, apprehensive regarding his new state of being a captive Squirrel. By the way, I am NOT suggesting that you simply let him loose and I am certainly NOT trying to fault you about trapping him (if that is what you did); it is only that this poor little Squirrel has some major stressors to deal with (the disease, discomfort, captivity, etc) and I feel very sorry for him!
    I don't think he would have survived in the wild. He was wandering in the parking lot and looked like he was in distress to the point that other people were also concerned about him. At that time his vision seemed impaired but my impression is that his face has improved slightly he can definitely see now -- at least shadows.

When we captured him the plan was to take him to a animal rehabilitation center, but they refused and said they should euthanize him. With the rehab off the table we are just lurching forward doing the best we can.

My understanding is that if he is to get better it will be two weeks to a month. If so we'll have to find a better housing option. Currently he is in the animal crate in my GF's shop but he should have sunlight but the option of moving the cage outdoors for an hour or two seems like it might be traumatizing for him. Also once production starts mid-week there will be noise so I don't see staying here as an option beyond Tuesday. We live in a high-rise so we could bring him home as he have a spare office with lots of natural light or we might have a backyard option we could use if we could find some kind of outdoor cage.

We just want to give him the best chance but this is way outside of my area of expertise and I've been reading everything I can but it seems like half of it is contradictory so I just end up running out to buy something only to read a few hours later the opposite advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Naldinho from:

Quote Originally Posted by lachy22 View Post
    Has he been eating more, drinking, able to lie down/sleep? Were you able to put the gold bond powder on him yet?

!!!! ALSO: If someone does not reply with some valcycovir, can anyone comment if Abreva would help? It's the only OTC I could find that Amazon could deliver pretty quickly. !!!!
    He is eating and drinking -- literally just saw him take a drink a few minutes ago and he is quite selective but stuff he likes he'll eat as much as I give him but he will not touch other stuff. If I put in some peeled apple he'll go for it immediately -- the red grapefruit, collard greens and arugula it has been a couple of hours and no interest. Nuts he'll eat but not like the apple.

All he really did for the first two days was sleep. Even now that he is in a bigger cage he has no real interest in exploring. He'll come out of the inner cage to eat and he has been out today but that is the first time. He mostly prefers being in the inner cage except when he wants food.

He grooms himself.

Is peeing and pooing.

I have not used the Gold Bold -- I bought it but when I got home it said that if you consume it you should call poison control on the bottle so I obviously bought the wrong stuff. None of his wounds that we've seen are open and he does not scratch himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast