Thread: Baby Raccoons

Default Baby Raccoons

I know this is a squirrel forum, but I know many on here are wildlife rehabbers and might can direct me to another site (one I'll get responses from like here). I haven't been on here for a while. This form was VERY helpful in helping raising a baby red squirrel we found about 3 years ago. Emma, the red squirrel we raised, is doing great and lives in our backyard. She visits us nearly daily. She will climb right up in our lap to get whatever treats we have to give her. I'll post some pictures later. Back to what I came here for this time. We found 2 young raccoons yesterday. I'm guessing perhaps 8 weeks old. We already left them out where we thought the mom might find them, but she didn't come get them. We brought them into the house (they're in a large, deep storage container) this morning. We placed Pedialyte in the box with them yesterday. I'm not sure they drank any or if they can. They're quite mobile as we think we know which tree they came down. Eyes are open and they have plenty of fur (they're not real young). I can put them outside in the box again tonight and see if the mom comes to get them, but I'm worried about them being hydrated. Assuming 8 weeks is correct, can they drink on their own? I have an assortment of feeders I can use to try and hydrate them if needed. I can send a picture if they will help determine the age.

Default Re: Baby Raccoons

Yes, please send a picture. I rehab raccoons and might be able to determine an age. Make sure the babies are able to stay warm when you put them outside at night. The warmth of a makeshift nest encourages them to stay put. Place a plastic laundry basket or something else light weight with large air holes and easily removed by mom, inverted over the top of the box to keep other predators out. Mom should be able to lift off the cover. After placing them out 3 nights in a row with no sign of mom, then you have to assume something has happened to her.

Raccoons nurse for a long time....12+ weeks and aren’t released back into the wild until 5 months old or older.

I feed my raccoon babies Fox Valley Raccoon formula, but I know others that use KMR. They get fed with a human baby bottle.

They are a joy to rehab...although I’ve never taken one in that was older than about 5 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Yes, please send a picture. I rehab raccoons and might be able to determine an age. Make sure the babies are able to stay warm when you put them outside at night. The warmth of a makeshift nest encourages them to stay put. Place a plastic laundry basket or something else light weight with large air holes and easily removed by mom, inverted over the top of the box to keep other predators out. Mom should be able to lift off the cover. After placing them out 3 nights in a row with no sign of mom, then you have to assume something has happened to her.

Raccoons nurse for a long time....12+ weeks and aren’t released back into the wild until 5 months old or older.

I feed my raccoon babies Fox Valley Raccoon formula, but I know others that use KMR. They get fed with a human baby bottle.

They are a joy to rehab...although I’ve never taken one in that was older than about 5 weeks.
    Thank you very much for your reply. I'll get a picture posted shortly.

This one is the smaller of the 2 and weighs about 19.4 ounces/550 grams.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  84.0 KB Name:  2.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  60.9 KB

Judging from the picture and weight I’d say they’re around 5 weeks old. Raccoon babies weigh between 500-700 grams at 5 weeks. They gain weight much quicker when on formula. I have one now that’s just barely opening its eyes and he weighs almost 500 grams! He still has the broader nose of an infant raccoon.

At this age they probably won’t eat solid foods because they don’t have their molar teeth. It’s a long process to learn that food is meant to be chewed and swallowed and not just sucked.

If you want to try them on some solid food I’d recommend a small piece of banana. You can put it in their mouth and they may or may not spit it out.

They also must be stimulated to potty just like a squirrel. Be very careful of their stool and wash your hands thoroughly. They can carry roundworm and the eggs.

Do you have a rehabber that can take them if mom doesn’t come for them? Or are you going to raise them?

Judging from the picture and weight I’d say they’re around 5 weeks old. Raccoon babies weigh between 500-700 grams at 5 weeks. They gain weight much quicker when on formula. I have one now that’s just barely opening its eyes and he weighs almost 500 grams! He still has the broader nose of an infant raccoon.

At this age they probably won’t eat solid foods because they don’t have their molar teeth. It’s a long process to learn that food is meant to be chewed and swallowed and not just sucked.

If you want to try them on some solid food I’d recommend a small piece of banana. You can put it in their mouth and they may or may not spit it out.

They also must be stimulated to potty just like a squirrel. Be very careful of their stool and wash your hands thoroughly. They can carry roundworm and the eggs.

Do you have a rehabber that can take them if mom doesn’t come for them? Or are you going to raise them?
    I reached out to a couple of rehabbers and have only heard from one. She said she was full and that many rehabbers in our area are also full. She thought I would have a hard time finding someone to take them. I would rather someone take them but will raise them if there's no other option. I absolutely love animals but have SO MUCH to do this summer (home repairs, etc.). My release cage I built for a red squirrel is still standing. I'm just not sure it would be big enough for 2 racoons. I'm guessing an outdoor enclosure is preferred but can the be kept inside for a period of time?

Thank you for the roundworm information. I did read that somewhere. I also wanted to ask, should we be concerned about mites? We had a robin make her nest on a ceiling fan on a open patio a few years ago. When she finally had her last brood, I went to remove the nest and could see the mites. They were visible. I have handled the racoons and haven't noticed mites on my hands afterwards (but still wash). Would mites from the racoons be noticeable (visible) if they got on me? I don't want a mite infestation (not that it's even possible), but just want to be sure. The bird mites as I understand had to have birds to live. Practically impossible to get out of hand with no birds to feed on. I'm guessing the mites on a racoon are different kind of mite, maybe a kind that can be sustained by feeding on humans.

Yes, they wouldn’t be ready to go outside till they’re about 16 weeks old. At this age a collapsible dog kennel works great. I got an x-large (or xxlarge) one off craigslist for about $20. I housed 3 in it till they were about 10 weeks old. The kennel I got was 48” long by roughly 3 feet wide and tall. It has the solid plastic tray floor and 2 doors.

If you end up having to keep them you will want to begin deworming them. I use the people version of pyrantel pamoate and safe guard for goats. I can help you with dosing if needed. If you eventually put them in your squirrel release cage they caution about using the cage for any other critter because of the roundworm eggs. They are next to impossible to kill. Beginning deworming treatments and continuing on a regular schedule until released will help with that, though.

I am going to post the names of a couple of vets in Indiana that see squirrels, so they may know of rehabbers in your area. I also don’t know if either of these guys are close to you, but it’s worth a shot.

ArborView Animal Hospital, Valparaiso 219-762-7267 and Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic, Indianapolis 317-879-8633. You could also try local vet offices.

I have never had a problem with mites and only occasionally a flea or two. They accept baths pretty easily. I use a kitten shampoo on mine, but you can use dawn dish soap or some other type of liquid soap. They will subdue pretty readily when scruffed by the skin on the back of the neck.

I hope mom returns, but if not they are a joy to raise.

Yes, they wouldn’t be ready to go outside till they’re about 16 weeks old. At this age a collapsible dog kennel works great. I got an x-large (or xxlarge) one off craigslist for about $20. I housed 3 in it till they were about 10 weeks old. The kennel I got was 48” long by roughly 3 feet wide and tall. It has the solid plastic tray floor and 2 doors.

If you end up having to keep them you will want to begin deworming them. I use the people version of pyrantel pamoate and safe guard for goats. I can help you with dosing if needed. If you eventually put them in your squirrel release cage they caution about using the cage for any other critter because of the roundworm eggs. They are next to impossible to kill. Beginning deworming treatments and continuing on a regular schedule until released will help with that, though.

I am going to post the names of a couple of vets in Indiana that see squirrels, so they may know of rehabbers in your area. I also don’t know if either of these guys are close to you, but it’s worth a shot.

ArborView Animal Hospital, Valparaiso 219-762-7267 and Avian and Exotic Animal Clinic, Indianapolis 317-879-8633. You could also try local vet offices.
    Thank you so much. Your information has been very helpful. Assuming I end up keeping them, when do we start the deworming?

You would start deworming immediately. The safe guard (panacur) can be purchased at Tractor Supply or other feed stores. I’m not sure about the pyrantel. I purchased mine online. My vet has a very aggressive deworming protocol that I will share with you if needed.

Do not use the dosing for goats on the safe guard box. You will need a stronger dose for the raccoons.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

WilliamH4 (05-18-2020)

I apologize for bothering you with all the questions. What would you recommend as far as feeding? I have some Esbilac puppy milk replacer, will that be okay? I can get whatever I need.

No, raccoons eat the KMR kitten milk replacer. They drink from a baby bottle.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

WilliamH4 (05-18-2020)

You would start deworming immediately. The safe guard (panacur) can be purchased at Tractor Supply or other feed stores. I’m not sure about the pyrantel. I purchased mine online. My vet has a very aggressive deworming protocol that I will share with you if needed.

Do not use the dosing for goats on the safe guard box. You will need a stronger dose for the raccoons.
    When you have a moment, if you can share the deworming protocol, I would appreciate it. I think we're going to be taking care of them in the immediate future. I have more calls to make, but we'll at least start out with them. I don't want them to go too long without proper care.

Thank you

Did you try to reunite again? Moms usually only come at night to retrieve their babies.

Did you try to reunite again? Moms usually only come at night to retrieve their babies.
    We're trying again tonight. This will be the 3rd night. We haven't seen her out and about as we did previously, before the babies showed up in the yard.

No luck again reuniting with mom. The babies were very vocal last night for a while, maybe because they had a full belly. In anticipation of perhaps having to raise the babies, I have a few more questions. Since this is a squirrel forum, I can wait for your email and ask then if you prefer.

Exclamation Baby racoon sick from chestnut blossum

Hi there I know this is a squirrel page but racoons are heavily discriminated against so it’s hard to find info. My baby racoon I’ve been behabbing since three weeks old who is now over a month and half chewed on chestnut tree blossoms before I could grab them from him and today he’s not eating and acting weird very tired and doesn’t want to do much but sleep. Anyone have any advice on chestnut blossoms ?! Thinking of giving him charcoal water in a syringe but if anyone has any other advice please let me know I would hate for him to get sick or worse so worried for this lil baby

Those babies are so cute! Good luck caring for them.