Thread: Emergency

Default Emergency

I have a ten year old male gray tree squirrel. He has been drinking a lot of water and has had dark colored urine. Now he is clicking and crying and is at the bottom of his cage. I desperately need help right now on how to treat him. I have amoxicillin 500 milligrams. He seems to be going down wound is in pain. Please help me. My phone number is (XXX) XXX-XXXX. Thank you , Taunie
    Last edited by CritterMom; 07-01-2024 at 04:42 PM. Reason: remove phone number

Default Re: Emergency

Quote Originally Posted by Taunie333 View Post
    I have a ten year old male gray tree squirrel. He has been drinking a lot of water and has had dark colored urine. Now he is clicking and crying and is at the bottom of his cage. I desperately need help right now on how to treat him. I have amoxicillin 500 milligrams. He seems to be going down wound is in pain. Please help me. My phone number is . Thank you , Taunie
    Hi Taunie and welcome to The Squirrel Board (TSB)! I'm sorry about what is going on with your Squirrel! What is his name?
    It may be best after "things get going" for you to ask one of the Admins to remove your phone number as this is s public forum and anyone reading your thread, friend or potential foe, will have your number. Further, on of the primary benefits of having TSB set up with different focused Forums where individual Threads can be started is that everyone can read about a particular issue and know the wrters concerns, what they have available as far as antibiotics, supplies, etc, their experience with Squirrel care, and information about the Squirrel (age, weight, sex, diet, medical history, etc, among many other things! Also, posting in the Thread permits continuity for others as they will know what others have seen as issues, what has already been done, what has been proposed, along with other reader's expressing their particular concerns, possible diagnoses, questions that may have come to mind by reader, others suggest and recommendations and much more and this will be available for your updates and other can "jump" in as they notice your thread and utilizing the thread permits continuity. Sometimes talking directly is of the essence. Others will be reading you post today. I am not in a position to call you at least right now as I an working and when I have a moment, I can "come back" to TSB and read posts and write posts but often I am interrupted and must do both intermittently.

Do you have any other antibiotics available; either your own or something your can get from family or friends? If your Squirrel has a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), Amoxicillin is not an ideal medication but if that is all that is available, we can provided dosing of this for you. Please verify that what you have is plain Amoxicillin and not Amoxicillin plus Clavulanate (a brand of this would be Augmentin). Amoxicillin plus Clavulanate would be much more appropriate for treating a presumptive UTI than plain Amoxicillin would! In order to correctly dose any medication, we will need a current accurate weight of your Squirrel from a digital scale preferably in Grams. Mixing and dosing instructions are sent by Private Message and NOT posted on the "open" Board.

Please post your Squirrel's weight and try locate other antibiotics. When did this change in behavior begin? What has been your Squirrel's regular diet? Has his appetite changed recently or is he still eating as he has done so before this change in behavior began? Please be as detailed as you can! Does your Squirrel have any medical problems? Is he peeing and pooping normally? Is he a non-releasable (NR) and if so, why or is he simply a pet. Did you raise him and if not, how long have y'all been together? Is there any chance that your Squirrel fell or has an injury? One of the commonly considered potential issues when a Squirrel has been slowing down or has weakness and seems to be in pain (there are many other signs as well) is Metabolic Bone Disease. This is a common, serious condition seen in captive Squirrels and related to diet and specifically with inadequate Calcium or excessive phosphorus or usually some of both. That is one reason for my asking you about the specifics of your Squirrel's diet.

Please keep on with the updates!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Last edited by CritterMom; 07-01-2024 at 04:42 PM.

In addition to Sam's comments above, please get infants Ibuprofen (flavored mix works best) at local CVS/Walgreens/Walmart. You will also need a 1mL syringe to dose the meds. Waiting your updates.

Mr.SSG

His name is Stanley. I do have amoxicillin clavulanate 875–125 mg. His weight is under 1 pound and at this time I cannot weigh him due to. He’s being aggressive for the first time since he’s been sick. could you please tell me how much medicine to give him And also what type of ibuprofen I need to buy and how much of that to give him. I have some Pedialyte and calcium powder. Should he be on calcium every day and if so, how much? He’s doing better today after three doses of every 12 hours of the amoxicillin. He is still very wobbly but moving around in his cage. He actually has not growled at me and has been kind today. I have not had him out of his cage in the last two days since this started. He has not been eating well for two days or drinking , I have had to force feed him his medicine which really makes him mad. I haven’t noticed on his poop, but I know that he’s not urinating as much as he used to although he’s not had the amount of water he normally drinks. I’m sending all the answers to your questions in my next post. Rght now I just wanna make sure I have the right medicine and how often to give it. Thank you so much and could you tell me how to remove my number off of the post please? Thank you sincerely Taunie.

Hi Taunie,

Your tel number has been removed by TSB Admin.

Having an accurate weight is important for dosing any medication. I know Stanley is sick but saying under 1 pound is quite vague. Any possible way to be more specific?? You are dosing Amox now. Please send PM (private mail) with your dosing details and weight assumption.

Mr.SSG

"I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

supersquirrelgirl (07-01-2024)

Thanks Chirps!

I hoping Taunie posts and/or PM me so we can help. If squirrel (Stanley) has A/P or MBD, there's no time to delay. I'm hoping for the best!

Taunie, received your PM and replied.

Hello Taunie,

I'm anxiously waiting your reply to my PM and updates to this thread. In addition, can you give an update here on Stanley ??

Mr.SSG