Thread: Looking for a vet

Default Looking for a vet

Hi all,

I've been meaning to make an introductory post but time and luck really have not been on my side over the past couple of months. That being said, I'm trying to prepare for the worst case scenario here and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a vet that would see a flyer in East TN? I'm close to the Middlesboro, KY area also if there are more options there.

In the past week I've lost a rabbit and a cat, and have had some concerning symptoms myself that landed me at urgent care with no answers or logical explanation. Admittedly, and unfortunately, the cat got out and went after the rabbit, which was wild. I know they're fragile and I assumed it succumbed to it's injuries after four-five days. The cat was completely unexpected. I have four other cats she's been around which I'm concerned about, but she was also in the same room as my flyer, who I'm really worried about in the event that this is something contagious. I do not let the cats interact with the squirrel at all, but the squirrel has pretty much free run of the house once the cats are in bed (they have their own bedroom) for the night. And I know Squirrely finds leftover pieces of cat food here and there.

I try my best to keep them as separated as possible and wash my hands in between all interactions, but I'm really worried given the sequence of events with everyone becoming ill over the past week and would like to have a plan in case there is something contagious going on here.

I've also got everyone quarantined and am bleaching and cleaning anything and everything I can. I hope I'm being paranoid but I'm worried sick over this.

Anyway, thanks for any recommendations.

Edited for grammar.

Default Re: Looking for a vet

No info on vets I'm afraid, but just wanted to suggest running HEPA air filters as well if you have them. Many animals can get covid and H5N1, which are airborne.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to applecrisped from:

Thumpnbunnie (07-01-2024)

Default Re: Looking for a vet

Quote Originally Posted by applecrisped View Post
    No info on vets I'm afraid, but just wanted to suggest running HEPA air filters as well if you have them. Many animals can get covid and H5N1, which are airborne.
    Thanks! We have a HEPA filter on our intake vent for our AC which has been running almost constantly the last few days.

I may have overreacted a bit. I was slightly feverish myself and, of course, pretty upset over losing the cat. I still don't know what happened to her. Nor can they figure out what's wrong with me. Unexplainable illnesses, two deaths, and a little stress put together can make your mind go to some pretty "creative" places when you're worried about your animals. Just to be safe everyone has been separated for a 14 day quarantine and I've cleaned and disinfected everything I could. Hopefully (and probably) it's all a strange coincidence.