Thread: Need to get calcium (tums) in my Chip n Dale without harming them.

Question Need to get calcium (tums) in my Chip n Dale without harming them.

My 2 are not friendly to being touched, they are about 4mos old. The first day I was able to give it easily, but he was very lethargic. Today he fought to be picked up and refused to drink it. I used a syringe and it just dripped from his mouth. I don't want to hurt him or scare him so much. He is also very upset, I separated him from the other squirrel but needed to before she hurt him. Is there an easier way to get the tums in him? Thank you, in advance.

Default Re: Need to get calcium (tums) in my Chip n Dale without harming them.

I tried to give her a 1st bolus with a syringe, and she bit me. I put it in her bowl, and she licked a little but not much.

Default Re: Need to get calcium (tums) in my Chip n Dale without harming them.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlene View Post
    My 2 are not friendly to being touched, they are about 4mos old. The first day I was able to give it easily, but he was very lethargic. Today he fought to be picked up and refused to drink it. I used a syringe and it just dripped from his mouth. I don't want to hurt him or scare him so much. He is also very upset, I separated him from the other squirrel but needed to before she hurt him. Is there an easier way to get the tums in him? Thank you, in advance.
    Hi Charlene and welcome to TSB! Please tell us more about your Squirrels including their species and how and when in their lives, you became their Mom.
    What do each of your Squirrels weigh?
    Why do you feel Tums or any extra Calcium is necessary? Is is because they seem lethargic and you are assuming that this is a sign that they may have developed Metabolic Bone Disease (it definitely could be!)? Are there any other noticed differences in behavior, appetite or whatever?
    What formula(s) were your babies given?
    What has been their diet other than the formula?
    Are your Squirrels weaned and if so, did they wean themselves or did you wean them and how old were they when they were finally weaned!
    Please be as detailed and specific with your answers as you can! This is very important!

I am providing a link to Henry's Pets information page on Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) ( https://henryspets.com/what-is-metabolic-bone-disease/ ) and to Henry's Emergency Treatment plan for MBD;
    ( https://henryspets.com/emergency-treatment-for-mbd/ ).

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel