Thread: Scab on baby squirrel head

Default Scab on baby squirrel head

Hello SquirrelBoard family,

Over the last few days I noticed a tiny hard spot in what I thought was the baby squirrels fur above her eye. She is around 6-7 weeks and and a moment ago just scratched what appears to be a small scab off her head which now appears to be a small open sore.

I did some quick searching on here and saw to clean the spot with some warm water and apply a little polysporin with a qtip (which I just did now).

She was getting very strong after upping her feeding the last few days and today noticing she doesn’t seem to be grabbing on to me so tight, seems alot weaker all of a sudden.

I will attempt to attach a picture here of the wound and hoping someone can help identify what may have caused this. Hoping it’s not squirrel pox as I read this can be fatal.

I appreciate everyone’s time and help sincerely

Name:  IMG_8819.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  53.7 KBName:  IMG_8819.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  53.7 KB

Default Re: Scab on baby squirrel head

If you can get better pictures of that spot it can help determine if this might be squirrel pox. Are there any other lesions anywhere else? Check ears, muzzle and feet... and everyplace else too.

A better option than polysporin is povidone-iodine (AKA Betadine, but generics are fine and cheaper). Dilute the betadine in water to look like a weak tea.. maybe 1 teaspoon in a cup of water. Wipe the betadine on the sore a couple 3 - 4 times daily, no need to rinse... just leave it to dry. This antibacterial agent is very effective and has anti-fungal properties as well.

Here is an example:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Fi...0aApR4EALw_wcB

Most pharmacies like CVS, Walgreen et al will have their own store version.

More concerning is her physical weakness... what formula (be very precise) are you feeding her? Has she started any solid foods yet?
    Squirrel Advocate

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Charley Chuckles (05-27-2024), island rehabber (05-28-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    If you can get better pictures of that spot it can help determine if this might be squirrel pox. Are there any other lesions anywhere else? Check ears, muzzle and feet... and everyplace else too.

A better option than polysporin is povidone-iodine (AKA Betadine, but generics are fine and cheaper). Dilute the betadine in water to look like a weak tea.. maybe 1 teaspoon in a cup of water. Wipe the betadine on the sore a couple 3 - 4 times daily, no need to rinse... just leave it to dry. This antibacterial agent is very effective and has anti-fungal properties as well.

Here is an example:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Fi...0aApR4EALw_wcB

Most pharmacies like CVS, Walgreen et al will have their own store version.

More concerning is her physical weakness... what formula (be very precise) are you feeding her? Has she started any solid foods yet?
    Hello Spanky,

Thank you for your quick reply and advice.

It’s hard to get a good picture as she moves so quickly. I’ve attached a few more that I was able to get.

She doesn’t seem to have any other lesions anywhere else. A little chunk of fur did come off beside the scab spot though when she pulled it off. She’s been scratching alot lately and I’m wondering if maybe it’s the detergent I’ve been using also irritating her skin.

She just started solid food the other day and I’ve been giving her the kaytee fortihealth as it’s hard to find things where I’m at (rural area in Canada). For milk she’s having the esbalic formula at the recommended ratios. She’s not really eating much of the blocks but she shreds them up and sometimes will consume up to half of one.

Name:  IMG_8836.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  51.0 KBName:  IMG_8837.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8841.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  187.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8844.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  165.0 KB

Please be more precise... WHICH Kaytee Forti-Diet... rat and mouse? If rat & mouse that is a "marginal" food and would need to be virtually 100% of her diet (along with formula)... it would take very little treats (nuts, seeds, dried corn, etc.) to make this nutritionally a very poor diet. And if this is hamster/gerbil/parrot/bird/rabbit food it is terrible for squirrels.

Mazuri, Teklad (Envigo) or Oxbox rat foods would be much better and I'd think available most anywhere.

WHICH Esbilac formula... the ready-liquid version, the powdered version or maybe the Goat's Milk Esbilac Powder?!?!?!
    Squirrel Advocate

Please be more precise... WHICH Kaytee Forti-Diet... rat and mouse? If rat & mouse that is a "marginal" food and would need to be virtually 100% of her diet (along with formula)... it would take very little treats (nuts, seeds, dried corn, etc.) to make this nutritionally a very poor diet. And if this is hamster/gerbil/parrot/bird/rabbit food it is terrible for squirrels.

Mazuri, Teklad (Envigo) or Oxbox rat foods would be much better and I'd think available most anywhere.

WHICH Esbilac formula... the ready-liquid version, the powdered version or maybe the Goat's Milk Esbilac Powder?!?!?!

Hello Spanky,

Thank you for your reply.

She is having the Kaytee Fortidiet rat & mouse and Esbalic puppy formula powder at a 2 parts water to one part powder.

Are you suggesting the diet could be what caused this? Should I stop feeding her these foods?

Appreciate any help!

To further clarify also,

She seems to be more playful and running/jumping a lot more, and is still really fast! It just seems like her grip now when I pick her up is very minimal as opposed to before she would grip very tight on my hand when feeding for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap70 View Post
    Are you suggesting the diet could be what caused this? Should I stop feeding her these foods?

Yes, an improper diet will cause MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) though she is a bit young... and still on formula... so unless she is getting a lot of nuts, seeds and dried corn it likely is not MBD. While AP (Aspiration Pneumonia) is the largest cause of death in baby squirrels, MBD causes many deaths in adolescent and adult squirrels being cared for by humans.

The powdered Esbilac is a a good formula so stick with that. The danger of MBD starts as they wean off formula... the diet needs to be healthy and not calcium robbing.

Of the rodent food / block that we'd recommend the Kaytee is the least preferred.... I think the order of good to bad would be Teklad/Envigo, Mazuri, Oxbox and then the Kaytee.

Henry's block is a supplemental block and is sort of in a different category.

Good to hear her strength and activity levels are improving... is the wound / scab area improving at all?
    Squirrel Advocate

Yes, an improper diet will cause MBD (Metabolic Bone Disease) though she is a bit young... and still on formula... so unless she is getting a lot of nuts, seeds and dried corn it likely is not MBD. While AP (Aspiration Pneumonia) is the largest cause of death in baby squirrels, MBD causes many deaths in adolescent and adult squirrels being cared for by humans.

The powdered Esbilac is a a good formula so stick with that. The danger of MBD starts as they wean off formula... the diet needs to be healthy and not calcium robbing.

Of the rodent food / block that we'd recommend the Kaytee is the least preferred.... I think the order of good to bad would be Teklad/Envigo, Mazuri, Oxbox and then the Kaytee.

Henry's block is a supplemental block and is sort of in a different category.

Good to hear her strength and activity levels are improving... is the wound / scab area improving at all?

Thank you for this info Spanky,

It just happened last night and I applied a very small amount of polysporin to it after cleaning with warm water. It was bleeding a bit when she first scratched the spot, but after the cleaning is now looking pink and hopefully will begin healing. I will post more updates as time progresses. Is there anything I should look out for during the healing process, either good or bad?

I am also going to look today for the other stuff you suggested to apply to the wound.

I appreciate your help here thank you again

Updated pictures from today after cleaning again

Name:  IMG_8881.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8885.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  64.0 KB