Thread: Very young wild squirrel missing front left paw

Default Very young wild squirrel missing front left paw

Name:  20240518_143929.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  86.5 KB

This morning the mama squirrel I've been feeding brought her baby along with her, she had never done this before. While she was eating the baby curled up and went to sleep in a planter that is full of leaves. Unfortunately she left him here and hasn't come back.

When he woke up he hobbled up to the window and ate some walnuts and I put some water out for him.

At the moment he is sleeping on my window sill. He is very young and cannot walk very well, the left front paw is just a stump but it is healed up. He has trouble balancing.

Should I leave him on my porch in case the mama comes back? Did she leave him here because he is injured? It has been hours and she has not returned and he is still hanging out here. I worry he can't survive with 3 paws, he is just a lil guy.

I tried to post a photo but I'm not sure it is loading. He is not a baby but far too young to be on his own. He can eat solids, he seems like he just started recently and he drank the water I put out for him. He is quite tame and will sit right up close but I don't think we could handle him.
    Thank you

Default Re: Very young wild squirrel missing front left paw

Oh dear. I wonder if she actually brought him to you? A 3 legged baby is basically predator food, and missing the front one is worse because it makes climbing very difficult for them.

If there is any way to get him, try to do so. I would not be surprised if a baby that age could bond to you if you really worked at it and were patient. His little face looking up at the camera kills me.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Grinderhead (05-18-2024), MyBushyTail (05-19-2024), thelema93 (05-18-2024)

Default Re: Very young wild squirrel missing front left paw

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Oh dear. I wonder if she actually brought him to you? A 3 legged baby is basically predator food, and missing the front one is worse because it makes climbing very difficult for them.

If there is any way to get him, try to do so. I would not be surprised if a baby that age could bond to you if you really worked at it and were patient. His little face looking up at the camera kills me.

Thank you very much for the response. Unfortunately he has taken off when I was making dinner so he must be able to climb up and down from the fire escape on his own. We're going to keep an eye out for him, I'm hoping he can find his way back to the nest tonight, I'm so worried about him, he's very sweet.

I've left food and water for him and there is a little planter with leaves in it for him to sleep in in case he returns.