Thread: Clavamoxx

Exclamation Clavamoxx

I have an almost 11 year old Eastern Gray. He is non-releasable and I live in a non-legal state with no access to vetting, etc. I have raised him from a baby and he eats a healthy diet of Henry’s blocks, veggies, etc. He has developed bad congestion. I do know that this can be related to teeth issues etc. I was hoping to try an antibiotic just to see if it would help him. The only thing I have, is Clavacillin 62.5mg from my dogs vet. Would there be any way to break this down safely? I don’t have access to any other antibiotics unfortunately. We’re just trying to do everything we can to help him. He’s our sweet boy and we love him so so much. ❤️ Thank you.

Default Re: Clavamoxx

Quote Originally Posted by Luv11pets View Post
    I have an almost 11 year old Eastern Gray. He is non-releasable and I live in a non-legal state with no access to vetting, etc. I have raised him from a baby and he eats a healthy diet of Henry’s blocks, veggies, etc. He has developed bad congestion. I do know that this can be related to teeth issues etc. I was hoping to try an antibiotic just to see if it would help him. The only thing I have, is Clavacillin 62.5mg from my dogs vet. Would there be any way to break this down safely? I don’t have access to any other antibiotics unfortunately. We’re just trying to do everything we can to help him. He’s our sweet boy and we love him so so much. ❤️ Thank you.
    Hi Luv11Pets:
    I'm sorry that you have not yet had a response to your post! What is the name of your Squirrel?

You are quite correct in that nasal congestion and other typical signs associated with URI's are often found to be dental issues such as an abscess or odontoma! There is little likely harm in doing what you propose and that is to try an antibiotic. While this may not result in a cure for many dental issues, it may be still turn out that way or the antibiotic may help to "tone down" the symptoms to permit more time in which to find a Squirrel-friendly Vet to perform an appropriate examination, obtain x-ray and/or lab studies and provide a definitive diagnosis!

In regard to the Clavamox; this is one of my favorite medications for possible oral or dental issues or even a sinusitis. I am not certain as to what you mean by "would there be any way to break this down safely?" If you are asking about whether or not this particular medication and strength can be utilized for treatment of Squirrels, the answer is definitively YES! We will need an accurate weight of your Squirrel using a digital scale and preferably reading in grams. One of the ADMINS will need to review you information and if they agree, you will be provided mixing and dosing instruction by Private Message as we do not provide this information on the "open" Board!

I am at work but will check back with your thread as time permits. Others are here as well. Please post your Squirrel's weight so that an ADMIN will be able to calculate appropriate dosing instructions!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

Yes, please post the weight of your squirrel and someone will help you with dosing.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-14-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Luv11Pets:
    I'm sorry that you have not yet had a response to your post! What is the name of your Squirrel?

You are quite correct in that nasal congestion and other typical signs associated with URI's are often found to be dental issues such as an abscess or odontoma! There is little likely harm in doing what you propose and that is to try an antibiotic. While this may not result in a cure for many dental issues, it may be still turn out that way or the antibiotic may help to "tone down" the symptoms to permit more time in which to find a Squirrel-friendly Vet to perform an appropriate examination, obtain x-ray and/or lab studies and provide a definitive diagnosis!

In regard to the Clavamox; this is one of my favorite medications for possible oral or dental issues or even a sinusitis. I am not certain as to what you mean by "would there be any way to break this down safely?" If you are asking about whether or not this particular medication and strength can be utilized for treatment of Squirrels, the answer is definitively YES! We will need an accurate weight of your Squirrel using a digital scale and preferably reading in grams. One of the ADMINS will need to review you information and if they agree, you will be provided mixing and dosing instruction by Private Message as we do not provide this information on the "open" Board!

I am at work but will check back with your thread as time permits. Others are here as well. Please post your Squirrel's weight so that an ADMIN will be able to calculate appropriate dosing instructions!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Thank you so much for responding. I really appreciate it! I am at work right now but when I get home, I will weigh him and post his weight in this thread for you. His name is Rocky ❤️ Thank you again!!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Luv11pets from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-14-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Luv11Pets:

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    He weighs about 435 grams. Is that all you need? Again, thank you so much!! Will somebody private message me? My email is luv11pets@gmail.com. I will try to treat him starting tonight if possible. I will also need to know about giving him yogurt etc. as a probiotic with this, correct? Thank you so much!

Is this a liquid or a pill?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    It’s a pill.

The only other antibiotic I have access to is Clindamycin, which is in tablet form for my dog. Would that be a better choice?
    I do have a Baytril injection that was for my cat. It may be a year or two old though. I don’t know what to use. I feel like I really need to try something but I don’t want to kill him with an antibiotic. I’m just scared and I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing. If somebody had access to a better antibiotic, I would gladly pay for it if they would ship it to me. The shipping costs, their time, etc.

The clavamox is a really good choice, and the fact that it is a pill is even better, as if it was liquid mixed by a vet, it has a very short shelf life.

The Baytril is a excellent drug as well. Save all of these - you may have use for them.

I am asking questions because I want to make sure I do this right! I have one more... We usually dose much larger pills than the one you have. We try to dilute the pills in such a way that the dose is large enough that it can be measured properly with a 1ml syringe, but not so large that you are trying to get a large volume of something that tastes nasty down them! How big are these pills? Are they pretty small?

BTW, to do all of this you will need a 1ml syringe without the needle. It is a good idea to add probiotic to the squirrel's diet - best given a couple hours after each dose of meds. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea (in squirrels and humans) and the probiotics will help prevent that.

By the way...just to set your mind at a bit of ease, antibiotics are pretty forgiving as far as "overdosing" is concerned, and we are a lot more concerned with UNDERdosing. So we are as specific as possible with the CORRECT dose and have to hope people don't give a little less because they think it will be safer.

The clavamox is a really good choice, and the fact that it is a pill is even better, as if it was liquid mixed by a vet, it has a very short shelf life.

The Baytril is a excellent drug as well. Save all of these - you may have use for them.

I am asking questions because I want to make sure I do this right! I have one more... We usually dose much larger pills than the one you have. We try to dilute the pills in such a way that the dose is large enough that it can be measured properly with a 1ml syringe, but not so large that you are trying to get a large volume of something that tastes nasty down them! How big are these pills? Are they pretty small?

BTW, to do all of this you will need a 1ml syringe without the needle. It is a good idea to add probiotic to the squirrel's diet - best given a couple hours after each dose of meds. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea (in squirrels and humans) and the probiotics will help prevent that.

By the way...just to set your mind at a bit of ease, antibiotics are pretty forgiving as far as "overdosing" is concerned, and we are a lot more concerned with UNDERdosing. So we are as specific as possible with the CORRECT dose and have to hope people don't give a little less because they think it will be safer.
    They aren’t really big. I don’t know if you’ve seen the packets from the vet for cats. It’s in a foil strip. Maybe the size of a pencil eraser or smaller? I’m not at home or I could be more specific.
    I do have a 1ml syringe.
    As far as a probiotic, can I just use yogurt? And how much?
    I also saw that the antibiotics should be given on a full stomach. I’m doing my best to get him to eat but he’s definitely not eating what he usually does. I read that the Clavacillin shouldn’t be used for squirrels on other threads, so that’s why I’m asking so many questions but you seem to know that it’s safe. I’m sorry! I appreciate your help so much! Will you be emailing me with instructions?

Maybe it was Penicillin you saw? The Amoxicillin clavulanate, which is the actual name of what you have, is one of the antibiotics we use the most here because it covers quite a broad number of things. It is extremely confusing for people because it is sold as Clavamox, Amoxiclav, Clavacillin, Augmentin, amox/clav - I know, stop me, right? They are ALL THE SAME DRUG, as I can see someone getting confused.

You can try yogurt. If you are near a Petco or Petsmart you can pick up some Benebac there.

Maybe it was Penicillin you saw? The Amoxicillin clavulanate, which is the actual name of what you have, is one of the antibiotics we use the most here because it covers quite a broad number of things. It is extremely confusing for people because it is sold as Clavamox, Amoxiclav, Clavacillin, Augmentin, amox/clav - I know, stop me, right? They are ALL THE SAME DRUG, as I can see someone getting confused.

You can try yogurt. If you are near a Petco or Petsmart you can pick up some Benebac there.
    Thank you again so so much! Will you be emailing me the dosage and instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by Luv11pets View Post
    Thank you again so so much! Will you be emailing me the dosage and instructions?
    I sent you the info via PM here on the board. Let me know if you have a problem and I will email it to you too.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mel1959 (02-15-2024), SamtheSquirrel2018 (02-14-2024)

I sent you the info via PM here on the board. Let me know if you have a problem and I will email it to you too.
    I got it! Thank you so much! I believe I may have some benebac. How much would I do of that? And you think it’s ok to dose even tho he’s not eating a lot right now? Should I try to syringe feed a little before I give the antibiotic?

I think his tummy will be a lot happier if you can get him to eat something first.

Does your benebac say anything on the container? About how much to give? It isn't really something you can overdose.

Also...you said he is congested. Is he having breathing issues? Is his NOSE congested or running? If so, next time at the drug store, pick up an infant nasal aspirator (a baby nose sucker). You need to practice with it - you don't want too much suction, but if his nose is blocked, getting that out will improve how he feels dramatically. They do not normally breathe through their mouths - unlike us, they are not built to do that and it is very difficult for them. It would absolutely affect his eating.

Also...you said he is congested. Is he having breathing issues? Is his NOSE congested or running? If so, next time at the drug store, pick up an infant nasal aspirator (a baby nose sucker). You need to practice with it - you don't want too much suction, but if his nose is blocked, getting that out will improve how he feels dramatically. They do not normally breathe through their mouths - unlike us, they are not built to do that and it is very difficult for them. It would absolutely affect his eating.
    I went out and bought one of those and I’ve been using it. Sometimes it will help and sometimes nothing comes out. I also got the baby Little Remedies saline drops. I read that you can give them 1 drop in each nostril. Have you heard that’s ok? I also got him a humidifier as well.

Oh, good. I haven't heard of the drops but if they are just saline they are fine. The humidifier is a really good idea.