Thread: can squirrels miscarry?

Default can squirrels miscarry?

hello again

this is about muchi… again

i’m 99% sure muchi is pregnant because she was here while she was in heat and the male squirrels were going bonkers. i also know she’s an older squirrel who has had plenty of babies. she’s a dominant female. last season she had babies and her stomach never really “snapped” back but when i posted about it we agreed that it’s just because she’s an older squirrel.

today she came by looking miserable. i’ve got photos below. her eye looks puffy and swollen and her stomach is sagging way more than i’ve ever seen it. i almost thought her stomach was some low hanging testicles.

Name:  IMG_7565.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  67.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7566.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  63.6 KB

sorry the stomach picture is bad but you can see it through her legs. it’s never looked like that so i immediately got concerned.

some other details that may or may not be related —

1. she’s been scratching her sides like crazy. when squirrels’ nipples come in, does it get itchy? or is she just shedding? last season she had fleas while she was pregnant so this time we gave her the correct dose of revolution right away. she’s still scratching so i don’t think it’s bugs.

2. she doesn’t stay long anymore. this is the same as the last season she was pregnant though, so it could be that. our balcony is definitely her territory. she protects it very fiercely. i think she’s also moved back in to her old nest from last season because she’s been heading up there with new fluff and nesting materials.

3. her eye looks puffy and red. she might’ve just gotten poked in the eye but i still got concerned. she’s missing some small patches of fur but it doesn’t look parasite related so i assumed it was from fights with other squirrels. just like last season, she’s very grumpy and easily agitated by the other squirrels.

4. like i mentioned above, my biggest concern is her stomach. did she lose the babies? is she losing weight rapidly? i only saw the right side of her today so i don’t know if there’s an injury on the left side that i couldn’t see. like maybe there’s a gash?

i’m so worried, i wish she had stayed longer. she only came down to eat some avocado and an almond and then she left. she didn’t even really look at me which was definitely strange — she usually at least waits for a nut in shell. she also didn’t drink any water.

i’m so so so worried. i wish i could watch over her 24/7. if there’s anything i can do to help her, please let me know!!!! if she comes down again i’ll try to get video.

i appreciate your experience and thoughts so much, i can’t even begin to describe it <3

Default Re: can squirrels miscarry?

Hi Astrll:
    I'm sorry that you have not yet had a response to your new thread! My response will bump it back in view for others. In answer to your question; yes Squirrels and all animals with a uterus can have a miscarriage (fetal death) but that is really the "simple" answer! If fetal death occurs very early, the products of conception may be absorbed by the mother Squirrel and no one would know and if there are other fetal Squirrels present, they may be very well be born without incident. When fetal death occurs later on in development; the fetus may may actually be expelled from the mothers body which, again would be a sad incident but probably not more than that! Sometimes, however, for whatever reason, the mother may not be able to expel the dead fetus and it can become "trapped" in the uterus or in the vagina. If there are other babies growing in the uterus, this will put them at risk and it will also put the mother animal at risk as infection can easily develop. Infection in the uterus is called Pyometra and it is very serious and if untreated will ordinarily lead to the death of the mother! The definitive treatment if to have a hysterectomy performed. Obviously, "Mother" Nature is no surgeon so this never occurs in nature, but this can occur when our pets may have this problem as most of them can readily be seen by Veterinarians! Ideally, Astrll, I believe that Muchi should be evaluated by a Squirrel-Friendly and experienced Veterinarian immediately to determine just what is going on and so appropriate treatment can be expeditiously facilitated! I realize that this is far easier for me to say than for you to find such a Veterinarian and then humanely trap Muchi and take her to this "dream" Vet!

I believe that I have answered your question but I truly wish I could do something about whatever is going on with your little Squirrel! Thanks you for your caring about her and loving her. I hope that what it is that if affecting Muchi will spontaneously resolve (and this does happen in nature!)! I hope the best for you too, Astrll! Please post updates!

Thanks and regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

True, that they can miscarry; yet this is birthing season for tree squirrels, so it is just as likely she has given birth to her young.

Whether she has miscarried, or given birth, it is evident from the empty bag shape of her abdomen that her young are no longer on board. Season after season, I've seen pregnant rounded belly females, come come out to feed with an empty bag which appears exactly like this. Keep an eye out for babies in in a month or so.

Squirrels that carry young and after birth nurse them, require more calcium in their diet to support both their own health and that of their young also. To support this female, you can sprinkle (calcium citrate) shelled nut kernels (walnuts; pecans; filberts), and misting the nut kennels helps the powder stick.

Calcium citrate was found to be the most (bioavailable) the most available to the body, when combined with common calcium lowering anti-nutrients (oxalate; phytate; tannins), the same found in the diet of tree squirrels.

(This source lasts for a very long time when used solely for this purpose) When compared to other forms of calcium supplements;

https://purebulk.com/products/calcium-citrate-usa

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Diggie's Friend from:

island rehabber (02-03-2024)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    True, that they can miscarry; yet this is birthing season for tree squirrels, so it is just as likely she has given birth to her young.

Whether she has miscarried, or given birth, it is evident from the empty bag shape of her abdomen that her young are no longer on board. Season after season, I've seen pregnant rounded belly females, come come out to feed with an empty bag which appears exactly like this. Keep an eye out for babies in in a month or so.

Squirrels that carry young and after birth nurse them, require more calcium in their diet to support both their own health and that of their young also. To support this female, you can sprinkle (calcium citrate) shelled nut kernels (walnuts; pecans; filberts), and misting the nut kennels helps the powder stick.

Calcium citrate was found to be the most (bioavailable) the most available to the body, when combined with common calcium lowering anti-nutrients (oxalate; phytate; tannins), the same found in the diet of tree squirrels.
    Hi DF and thanks for you comments! Yes, the vast majority of pregnant females carry their young until a normal birth occurs and all is well. If it was significantly less than that, there would be no survival of species, let alone development of new species! I also believe that you are correct with far better odds than you state; "it is just as likely she has given birth to her young!" And, yes, for what it may be worth; I also concur with considering the offering a Calcium supplement which could certainly be a potential benefit to a pregnant or lactating mother Squirrel!

The issue that Astrll has, though; if I have accurately interpreted her post and concerns is not specifically about miscarriages although that is obviously part of this and I did want to try to answer this specific question albeit with my usual limited knowledge along with probably needless verbosity! I believe that Astrll's concern goes far beyond her specific question, however, as Astrll is very familiar with this Squirrel, Muchi, and this extends even to her usual pregnancy, birthing and baby rearing behaviors over what apparently has been a period of years but NOW, she has noticed a CHANGE FROM THE USUAL in Muchi's behavior and appearance!

Impressions of changes from a well recognized base-line of sorts are almost without exception, reliable and potentially very valuable cues to base legitimate concerns and if appropriate, facilitate further evaluation. As indulging in further evaluation and certainly professional evaluation pose what are probably insurmountable logistic barriers, time will tell! Just a comment, though; if this was a pet dog or cat and based upon what Astrll has noticed already, the pet would probably have already been evaluated by a Veterinarian, if for no other reason than to be proactive as this avenue of approach for our usual pets is relatively easy to indulge in! Again, this option is not available and as I stated in my first response to Astrll's thread; "I hope that what it is that is affecting Muchi will spontaneously resolve (and this does happen in nature!)!"

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

island rehabber (02-03-2024)

If I may pop in here between two very good sources of advice (DF and StS), I want to say that although clinically I agree with SamtheSquirrel, as a squirrel rehabber I lean toward Diggie's advice. To capture this older wild mamma and subject her to confinement, examination and treatment is a huge risk which I personally would not take if she were in my yard (or on my balcony, I don't have a yard). Close observation and possible treatment with an antibiotic (Bactrim, for example, works well for pyometra in rodents) is, to me, a better and less risky option.

Hoping Muchi is ok!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '