Thread: lethargic little guy found in the snow, warmed up, now what?

Exclamation lethargic little guy found in the snow, warmed up, now what?

I think he’s a western gray (live in the country outside Portland, OR). Don’t know how old he is but thinking 12 weeks or so based on what I’ve read so far (guidance appreciated!). Found him in the snow this afternoon, seemingly near death. Got him wrapped up and warm and once he was active again tried putting him back outside wrapped up in a towel with some bedding in a box to see if he would take off or Mama would find him. Came back to find him cold again so brought him back in and warmed him up. Still very lethargic, but eyes are open and his ears are back up. Tried calling a local rehab facility but couldn’t reach anyone (many places are closed d/t winter storm). We live in the country and are currently snowed in with more snow and ice on the way tomorrow. Not sure what to do next. Don’t have a syringe but have some droppers. Don’t have a way to get goat’s milk formula made, and not sure that’s the best thing? Want to be sure to get him hydrated without hurting him. Anyone out there who can help guide me until I can take him to a rehabber? Good sources for telling how old he is?

Default Re: lethargic little guy found in the snow, warmed up, now what?

I (slowly) gave him a couple droppers of this homemade formula. Will offer again in an hour.

https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/treat...n-in-squirrels

Keep the little guy indoors - cold that deep takes time to wear off. If he's malnourished, he may not make it on his own. Can you get us a weight? We can estimate his age. Keep feeding the hydration formula, assuming he is warmed through. No fluid until warm. He'll also need to eat. No cow's milk or cheese, and no nuts. If you can get to a pet store, Esbilac Puppy Powdered (not liquid in a can) milk replacer, reconstituted per instructions on can, or Fox Valley 20/50, same instructions. If not, then a trip to the grocery for canned (or powdered/reconstituted) goat's milk for the emergency formula below: If you can't get to the grocery, then just some plain, vanilla natural yogurt (no artificial sweeteners) will tide him over. When you begin feeding him, stop the rehydration altogether.

Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe

1 cup goats milk
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

If you have a heating pad, set it in the area where he is sleeping, and be sure to set it on Low. Place it so he can be off of it if he gets too warm. This should keep him until you are able to reach a rehabber.

An admin will see this and
    provide additional help, corrections, and clarifications. You are a good soul for rescuing this squirrel. Good luck to both of you!

Jamie

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TomahawkFlyers from:

amelie (01-16-2024)

Thank you Jamie! Unfortunately it’s not safe for me to drive to the store tonight, and likely won’t be tomorrow either. No yogurt in the house. Any chance sour cream would work? Haven’t found a kitchen scale yet but will keep looking!

Quote Originally Posted by amelie View Post
    Thank you Jamie! Unfortunately it’s not safe for me to drive to the store tonight, and likely won’t be tomorrow either. No yogurt in the house. Any chance sour cream would work? Haven’t found a kitchen scale yet but will keep looking!
    Actually found some greek whole milk plain yogurt. Would a bit of that in a bowl be okay? Or should I give him a few more droppers of the rehydration formula first? How about a little bowl of water? Still no weight but I think he’s a bit bitter than a typical pet rat— a good 6-8” long, covered in fur (even the underside of his tail— though it is still flat), so safe to say he’s a juvenile?

Yes, he’s a juvenile. You can post a picture by scrolling down where it says “manage attachments”. Jamie’s advice was spot on. Please don’t put him back outside he will not survive. Here’s the link for baby squirrel care. https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/ if you don’t have a heating pad you can make a rice buddy by putting dry rice in a sock and microwaving it till it’s very warm. Squish it around to distribute the heat then wrap it in a blanket and put it in with him. Give him lots of blankets to snuggle in.

Continue with hydration. If you have yogurt you can feed some of that. As soon as you can get to a store get some fresh or powdered goats milk and heavy whipping cream to mix with your yogurt per the recipe for homemade goats milk formula.

He may be old enough to eat some solids on his own. Here’s the link to healthy foods for him. Can you see if he has his upper and lower incisors? https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

A picture would be very helpful.

How goes it?

Jamie

🙏🙏🙏
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this