Thread: TREATING CHIPMUNKS FOR POX

Default TREATING CHIPMUNKS FOR POX

Hello, I would like to ask if anyone has treated chipmunks for Squirrel Pox. If there is someone out there, is the same treatment as gray and red squirrels: that is, acyclovir?

Default Re: TREATING CHIPMUNKS FOR POX

Acyclovir (See island rehabbers thread on Pox virus for the various versions to knock down the virus's replication.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ELS!-PLEEEEEEZ

There is also a secondary infection associated with the squirrel pox virus. This is why the noted Antibiotic by island rehabber lent significant support towards improvement. This dual approach using (Acyclovir) to help block the virus and lower its spread and duration; and(SMZ-TMP) to address bacteria that opportunistically takes hold when the lesions break open, appears to be effective in countering both the severity and duration of this viral and secondary resulting bacterial infection it causes.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ogy-to-SMZ-TMP

For more info on the various meals members have used to address this viral scourge, see other threads in this sub-forum.

A dual approach appears to be the most effective in limiting the severity of this virus and the secondary infection associated with it. Some have in addition used topical sources also that help dry out the lesions. Take it all in for you may need to use more than internal meds to reduce and shorten its course.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

Black Squirrel (12-10-2023), island rehabber (12-10-2023)

There are several "treatments" out there. The one I.R. suggests is the most effective. I have used it with success on several occasions.

My protocol is a combination of several experienced rehabbers' methods plus the original recommendation of acyclovir given to me over 15 yrs ago by the imminent Dr Anthony Pilny,
    God's gift to squirrels, or 'St Anthony'
    as we used to call him.
    Medical people will tell you that acyclovir can't work because "pox is not a herpes virus". Except it does.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Diggie's Friend (12-11-2023)