Thread: Rash/infection of foot?

Unhappy Rash/infection of foot?

Hey Guys!

This is my first ever post here. I fell in love with these squirrels at my window and would you look at that! Im in a squirrel forum! Life is funny isnt it?

One of the squirrels that comes up to see me had something happen to her foot. I am not sure if this happened quickly or if I just never noticed. She is a newer visitor so its hard to tell. Please reference the attached photo and let me know what you think this is/ if I can do anything to help. Of all the squirrels she is the most shy and nervous to approach me so im not really sure what can be done at all.

I figured maybe squirrel pox but this looks different from the pox pictures ive seen.

Thank You!
    Name:  IMG_0035.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  490.0 KB

Default Re: Rash/infection of foot?

I don't think this is pox, it looks like an injury that has caused some infection and swelling of that foot.

If you can locate some antibiotics... Augmentin, Bactrim might be a couple that would be helpful... if the foot gets any worse you could try giving her nuts dosed with the anti-biotics. It would be best to do this only of you see her on a regular basis and have a reasonable chance of dosing her daily for 5 consecutive days or so.. knowing there are no guarantees. If it comes to that we can help guide you on the proper dosing.

But, I feel she can recover from this without intervention... but be prepared in case she worsens versus improves would be a great.
    Squirrel Advocate