Thread: Paw Swelling and Peeling in Young Squirrel: Seeking Advice

Default Paw Swelling and Peeling in Young Squirrel: Seeking Advice

"I've been caring for a squirrel for 16 days, who is now approximately 2 weeks and 4 days old. Recently, I've observed some swelling and peeling on her paws. I always make sure the heating pad is set at a safe temperature and diligently clean any leftover formula from her mouth, skin, and paws post-feeding. Despite these precautions, the problem continues. The squirrel rests on soft fleece in her enclosure. This issue seems fungal to me, but I'm not certain. It's worth noting that the condition is exclusive to her paws and hasn't spread elsewhere on her body. There are no nodules present, and her underside appears normal. She's currently being fed Fox Valley formula. Additionally, when she first came into my care, she had ant bites on her paws and body, but those have since healed well. Does anyone have insights or suggestions on this?"Name:  IMG_3305.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  43.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3308.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  68.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3307.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  132.1 KB Name:  IMG_3304.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  100.5 KB

Default Re: Paw Swelling and Peeling in Young Squirrel: Seeking Advice

Get a bottle of Betadyne 10% Povidone Iodine at the drug store or Walmart - or get the store brand equivalent and save some $. It is deep red and looks like a squeeze bottle of blood! It is antibacterial and antifungal so it will take care of a lot. Mix 1/2 teaspoon in 1/4 cup boiled and cooled water. You can dip her feet or use a cotton ball, but saturate the affected area a couple times a day. After it dries (and it will dye her little feet orange temporarily) you can rub some coconut oil into them if you wish. It will help soften the scaliness. The betadyne will treat almost anything on the skin and is a great wound treatment plus it doesn't hurt or burn or sting at all.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Diggie's Friend (09-15-2023), Jinny (09-16-2023)

Thank you so much! I will start this in the morning!! 🥰

Hi Jinny! I’d also consider adding a bit of moisture to the enclosure. With any wound healing, moisture is key, and with how dry everything has been down south, supplementing humidity is particularly important. A moist paper towel or cotton ball in a coffee mug inside of their tupperware helps a bunch. If you’re using cardboard box, consider switching over to a larger plastic tub.