Thread: Henry Blocks - Which to start off with first?

Default Henry Blocks - Which to start off with first?

Hello all! My 2 squirrels are almost 7 weeks now and I would like to introduce them to solid foods as they are getting old. They also seem to want to nibble on things now so I figured this would be the time to get them started on something. I have been looking at Henry's site to get them their blocks however there's different kinds. Which is the best one to get them to start off and how should it be given? Was thinking of getting the Wild Bites to start off but not sure if others are preferred more.

Default Re: Henry Blocks - Which to start off with first?

The Picky Eater or hazelnut blocks are preferred. When you get them store them in the freezer and take out only what you need for a couple of days. Initially you can cut the block in half and give each one a half. They may only shred it until they figure out it’s food, then they’ll begin to eat it. Ideally they should be consuming 2-3 each per day. You want to be sure they’re actually eating it before you introduce any veggies. When you do begin veggies start with a leafy green like one of the lettuces or kale. Here’s the link to the healthy diet for squirrels. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Charley Chuckles (09-13-2023), CritterMom (09-13-2023), Furryfriend (09-13-2023), SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-13-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    The Picky Eater or hazelnut blocks are preferred. When you get them store them in the freezer and take out only what you need for a couple of days. Initially you can cut the block in half and give each one a half. They may only shred it until they figure out it’s food, then they’ll begin to eat it. Ideally they should be consuming 2-3 each per day. You want to be sure they’re actually eating it before you introduce any veggies. When you do begin veggies start with a leafy green like one of the lettuces or kale. Here’s the link to the healthy diet for squirrels. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels
    Thank you!! When freezing them do I defrost when giving it to them or give it to them like that? I assume the ones I leave out for the next couple of days would go in the fridge as well? Is the morning the best time to give them the blocks or it doesn't matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Furryfriend View Post
    Thank you!! When freezing them do I defrost when giving it to them or give it to them like that? I assume the ones I leave out for the next couple of days would go in the fridge as well? Is the morning the best time to give them the blocks or it doesn't matter?
    Hi Furryfriend:
    Actually, everything you said in the form of questions is right! #1; yes, Henry's Blocks (HHBs) should be frozen immediately upon arrival; #2, you can remove the next day's Blocks or even the next two or three day's HHBs from the freezer and transfer them to the refrigerator where they will thaw (please do NOT ever store them at room temperature); #3, yes, you can give them frozen. I have found that some Squirrels actually prefer this. That being said, the natural odors of most foods are more subdued when they are cold so probably it would be an advantage for you to let them defrost for most Squirrels as then, the natural odors of the Blocks will be enhanced especially in light of the fact that odor enhances the sense of taste and for these reasons the defrosted Blocks may be more appealing!
    #4, I would recommend that you do not give any food other than Blocks first thing in the morning! This will be when the Squirrel is most hungry and you can take advantage of this by getting him started each day with the most nutritious component of his diet and give the Squirrels nothing other than Blocks until they have consumed an amount of these!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Furryfriend (09-15-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    Hi Furryfriend:
    Actually, everything you said in the form of questions is right! #1; yes, Henry's Blocks (HHBs) should be frozen immediately upon arrival; #2, you can remove the next day's Blocks or even the next two or three day's HHBs from the freezer and transfer them to the refrigerator where they will thaw (please do NOT ever store them at room temperature); #3, yes, you can give them frozen. I have found that some Squirrels actually prefer this. That being said, the natural odors of most foods are more subdued when they are cold so probably it would be an advantage for you to let them defrost for most Squirrels as then, the natural odors of the Blocks will be enhanced especially in light of the fact that odor enhances the sense of taste and for these reasons the defrosted Blocks may be more appealing!
    #4, I would recommend that you do not give any food other than Blocks first thing in the morning! This will be when the Squirrel is most hungry and you can take advantage of this by getting him started each day with the most nutritious component of his diet and give the Squirrels nothing other than Blocks until they have consumed an amount of these!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    Thank you for this! So for breakfast the blocks and throughout the day the formula basically?

Quote Originally Posted by Furryfriend View Post
    Thank you for this! So for breakfast the blocks and throughout the day the formula basically?

No, not exactly. The formula is the true primary nutrition source for a 7 week old Squirrel so the formula feedings must continue on a regular appropriate schedule!

I was referring only to the other constituents of the Healthy Foods Pyramid. In the relatively long weaning process, Blocks should be the ONLY "extra" until you are assured the Squirrels have fully accepted them and are actually eating them and not just tearing them apart. Then add some of the healthy vegetables and natural foods but other than the regular formula feedings; give only Blocks first and offer the other stuff later in the day after the Squirrels have consumed a signicant amount of Blocks. The Blocks should eventually take the place of formula during the weaning period.

I hope this clarifies things!

Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Furryfriend (09-16-2023)