Thread: Squirrel with suspected AP

Exclamation Squirrel with suspected AP

About two weeks ago someone brought me a baby squirrel with eyes just opened that had been carried by a dog in the yard. There was no damage done and I tried to contact the one local wildlife rehabber but never got a response so I guess I’m raising him now.
    He’s 163g on last weigh in. He was pretty skinny when I received him and now a chunk. Yesterday, the syringe I was feeding him with broke and the rubber stopper on the end got messed up and he aspirated. I immediately cleared his lungs as much as possible by tilting him down and using a suction bulb on his nose but today he is a bit crackly and sneezing. I have some medication on hand for dogs and for myself, but the vets around me will not treat him or give me any antibiotics since I’m not licensed. I really want this little dude to make it, so I want to try to give him some antibiotics. I have cephalexin 500mg, carprpfen 100mg, and sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim 800/160 mg tb. Which would be the best and how can I mix the dose for him?

Default Re: Squirrel with suspected AP

A couple things... aspiration is the cause of Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) but aspirating does not mean they will develop AP. The formula coming from the nose, which should be avoided, is a result of the squirrel's reflexes to prevent liquids from getting into their lungs.

Symptoms of AP include loss of appetite, lethargy and a persistent clicking when they breath. All squirrels make a clicking noise every so often, especially after eating and their mouths are moist. An AP click originates from the lungs. I have never had a squirrel with AP that has been "sneezy", FWIW. Sometimes you can here a crackling in their lungs, especially with a stethoscope. I always suggest listening to them when they are in a deep sleep for the click and cracking.

If he does have AP and require treatment the "sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim 800/160 mg tab" is an effective antibiotic. You would need to provide the weight of the squirrel to receive proper dosing instructions.

Default Re: Squirrel with suspected AP

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    A couple things... aspiration is the cause of Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) but aspirating does not mean they will develop AP. The formula coming from the nose, which should be avoided, is a result of the squirrel's reflexes to prevent liquids from getting into their lungs.

Symptoms of AP include loss of appetite, lethargy and a persistent clicking when they breath. All squirrels make a clicking noise every so often, especially after eating and their mouths are moist. An AP click originates from the lungs. I have never had a squirrel with AP that has been "sneezy", FWIW. Sometimes you can here a crackling in their lungs, especially with a stethoscope. I always suggest listening to them when they are in a deep sleep for the click and cracking.

If he does have AP and require treatment the "sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim 800/160 mg tab" is an effective antibiotic. You would need to provide the weight of the squirrel to receive proper dosing instructions.

He’s 163 grams. He is definitely making actual clicking noises when he breaths, his lungs crackle when I put him up next to my ear.