Thread: Found baby flying squirrel

Default Found baby flying squirrel

I recently had a friend call his dog got a home hold up a mother flying squirrel he found one of the babies can't find any more of the so I have the one baby can anybody give me any information on this baby he's up here to be about 4 to 6 weeks old I gave since he was immediately found I did not hydrate him I just went straight to the Fox valley somebody help me I don't want to hurt this baby I have raised my own squirrels just never a flyer so somebody can help me I'd appreciate it

Default Re: Found baby flying squirrel

I am uncertain of what if any specific questions you have... are asking how to care for them or if maybe there is someone locel to you in WV that has flyer experience that you can take the baby to?

Care of flyers is the same as with greys, but they are smaller and mature abut quicker (eyes open around 4 weeks instead of 5). But feeding recommendations for formula are powdered Esbilac birth through 3 weeks and Fox Valley 20/40 from 3 weeks until ween. Flyers have a bit higher protein requirement when they start eating solids... feeding Pure Bites freeze dried chicken treat for dogs, boiled eggs, etc. can provide the extra protein.

Still feed 5% - 7% of body weight per feeding... here is the primer on baby squirrel care for review:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Thank you I would like to r3l3ase him back in the same area he was found. I've rehabbed greys but it's my understanding that fliers take goats milk not esbilac..I have a rehabbed in Charleston wh9 is mentoring me but she seemed unsure. I was trying to find all information I could on their care I estimate him by weight at 4 to 6 weeks.

I have raised plenty of flyers on Esbilac through 3 weeks and then half Esbilac and half Fox Valley 30/50.

Also, flyers should never e released alone (singleton). They need to be in a mixed sex group (colony) to improve their release survival exponentially...