Thread: Baby squirrel HGMF

Default Baby squirrel HGMF

Hello,

So I made the homemade goat milk formula for the squirrels with the goat milk I had and all the other ingredients. Today I see the formula is slightly chunky when taking it out of the fridge. Is this normal? Should I still feed the squirrels this or throw it out and remake it. It's chunky in the sense that it looks like clumps of yogurt. I mixed it in but when I warmed it up it looked the same again but smaller. Is this supposed to happen or did it go bad?

Default Re: Baby squirrel HGMF

No. Don't use it. Goats milk is notorious for going bad quickly. Why are you changing to goats milk? The Esbilac powdered puppy formula is available at big chain pet stores like Petco, and Tractor Supply as well. Goats milk formula is an emergency formula to be used until actual formula can be gotten...

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Furryfriend (08-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    No. Don't use it. Goats milk is notorious for going bad quickly. Why are you changing to goats milk? The Esbilac powdered puppy formula is available at big chain pet stores like Petco, and Tractor Supply as well. Goats milk formula is an emergency formula to be used until actual formula can be gotten...
    I had changed because I was using the canned version for Esbalic(didn't know powdered was preferred thought either or was fine from videos i saw) and the store I go to didn't have the powdered version for dogs only for kittens. So I ended up getting the goats milk but wow the formula didn't even last more than a day

Yeah, it even effects the Esbilas GOATSMILK formula - it can be rancid when you open the can.

Goat's milk is very lean and baby squirrels grow super fast, so they need a much more robust formula. Please see if you can find the correct Esbilac and in the meantime, order some Fox Valley 20/50. Henry's has it RIGHT NOW: https://henryspets.com/fox-valley-da...aby-squirrels/ and they ship fast. They seem to be having issues keeping it in stock - if they are out by the time you order, go to the manufacturer: https://store.foxvalleynutrition.com/day-one-2050

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Furryfriend (08-24-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Furryfriend View Post
    I mixed it in but when I warmed it up it looked the same again but smaller. Is this supposed to happen or did it go bad?

I am unsure that this is what is happening, but thought it important to mention that formula that is warmed up to be fed but not used should be thrown out. It should not be re-refrigerated and used later. Using a hot cup of water and placing syringes full of formula in the cup to warm for feeding works well and keeps the amount of formula that has been warmed up adn not used to a minimum....

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Furryfriend (08-24-2023)

Red face Re: Baby squirrel HGMF

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

I am unsure that this is what is happening, but thought it important to mention that formula that is warmed up to be fed but not used should be thrown out. It should not be re-refrigerated and used later. Using a hot cup of water and placing syringes full of formula in the cup to warm for feeding works well and keeps the amount of formula that has been warmed up adn not used to a minimum....
    Ahhh could be that! That's what I've been doing. I will do the hot water method especially since water stays hot longer I feel

Boy squirrel he's 1.6 ounces will reweigh before feeding today
    https://i.imgur.com/y7TV3nl.jpeg

Girl squirrel she's 2.3 ounces will reweigh before feeding today
    https://i.imgur.com/N9fYXVM.jpeg