Thread: Squirrels losing weight, skin feels funny, dehydrated? AP?

Default Squirrels losing weight, skin feels funny, dehydrated? AP?

I took in 5 orphaned Aberts squirrels two weeks ago. I have been feeding goats milk esbilac since and Fox Farm 20/50 just arrived today. One baby started losing weight, looks emaciated, and is dehydrated. I can't seem to get her rehydrated. Now, I'm worrying about the other 4. All day today was hydration fluid (pedialyte, then half pedialyte half homemade rehydration fluid, then just rehydration fluid) in between feedings. No one seems to have an appetite and have noticed diarrhea now. I don't hear any clicking, but am worried about pneumonia. Could it be that? Or could it be they don't like the new Fox Farm formula? (I am doing half and half to start today)

Default Re: Squirrels losing weight, skin feels funny, dehydrated? AP?

BUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Gravejm10 View Post
    I took in 5 orphaned Aberts squirrels two weeks ago. I have been feeding goats milk esbilac since and Fox Farm 20/50 just arrived today. One baby started losing weight, looks emaciated, and is dehydrated. I can't seem to get her rehydrated. Now, I'm worrying about the other 4. All day today was hydration fluid (pedialyte, then half pedialyte half homemade rehydration fluid, then just rehydration fluid) in between feedings. No one seems to have an appetite and have noticed diarrhea now. I don't hear any clicking, but am worried about pneumonia. Could it be that? Or could it be they don't like the new Fox Farm formula? (I am doing half and half to start today)
    Hydration is critical.. feeding formula to a dehydrated baby turns out to be counter productive: They can't digest the food and in the attempt to digest the food they get more dehydrated (partly because fluids rushes to the stomach to help with the digestion). Use plain water and add a touch of molasses, honey, syrup or sugar (order of preference) if necessary to get them interested in the water. It is critical to get them hydrated, or this battle with feeding and diarrhea will never end.

So focus on hydration, and stop giving pedialyte... it is okay for a while (usually 24 hours) but after that the salts start causing electrolyte overload.

When you say "Fox Farm Formula" do you mean Fox Valley? If yes, if it is Fox Valley 32/40 then I will say that formula could be contributing to the problems and is not recommended. Try to find some Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer, the powdered version and not the goat's milk version. If the babies are 4 weeks or older, then can be put on Fox Valley 20/50 which should not be an issue (but the Fox Valley 32/40 is an issue).

Also, all powdered formula should be stored in the freezer.. the fridge at a minimum.. after it is opened. It will go rancid at room temps (and this years *seems* especailly bad for this).
    Last edited by Spanky; 08-05-2023 at 02:48 PM.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (08-05-2023), island rehabber (08-05-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Hydration is critical.. feeding formula to a dehydrated baby turns out to be counter productive: They can't digest the food and in the attempt to digest the food they get more dehydrated (partly because fluids rushes to the stomach to help with the digestion). Use plain water and add a touch of molasses, honey, syrup or sugar (order of preference) if necessary to get them interested in the water. It is critical to get them hydrated, or this battle with feeding and diarrhea will never end.

So focus on hydration, and stop giving pedialyte... it is okay for a while (usually 24 hours) but after that the salts start causing electrolyte overload.

When you say "Fox Farm Formula" do you mean Fox Valley? If yes, if it is Fox Valley 32/40 then I will say that formula could be contributing to the problems and is not recommended. Try to find some Esbilac Puppy Milk Replacer, the powdered version and not the goat's milk version. If the babies are 4 weeks or older, then can be put on Fox Valley 20/50 which should not be an issue (but the Fox Valley 32/40 is an issue).

Also, all powdered formula should be stored in the freezer.. the fridge at a minimum.. after it is opened. It will go rancid at room temps (and this years *seems* especailly bad for this).
    Thank you for the reply!

Yes, I meant Fox Valley, and I do have the 20/50. I was keeping in the fridge but have moved to the freezer.

Today I've been hydrating with honey water and only feeding formula to those that pass the pinch test. These ones are still very fussy and its a challenge to get them to eat (even the honey water). They weren't this fussy before.

For formula, I've switched to 100% Fox Valley 20/50 but will get regular, non goat milk, puppy Esbilac to mix if needed.

I also got subQ fluids and am wondering if there is a point I should attempt this for dehydration. I've given subQ fluids to foster kittens before, so feel pretty comfortable, but don't want to stress a baby out unnecessarily.

I've also gotten amoxicillian clavulante. Can I give in case they do have AP? Since I first posted, I do here some clicking, but it seems to only be when they are rooting around for the nipple, so I'm unsure if this is a sign of AP or a normal noice while sniffing around.

Thank you!

Thank you for taking these babies in.

can you post some pics? It will give us a better understanding of their age and/or what condition they are in.

How have you been preparing the formula prior to feeding it? It’s usually best to mix and let sit in fridge overnight or at least a few hours prior to feeding?

how are you determining how much to feed them? You should be weighing once a day in the morning before feeding and using that weight for how much to feed for the rest of the day.

Make sure the formula is very warm (almost hot)…much warmer than one may think. Otherwise they will quickly lose interest.

You should be using high quality Oring syringes with a nipple. The normal plunger type syringes can and will get stuck oftentimes forcing too much liquid into their mouth unintentionally.

AP is caused by aspirating, but aspirating does not always cause AP. If you only hear occasional clicking, that is normal, especially before or after feeding. AP is a constant, and CONSISTENT clicking, with each breathe. Listen for this, especially when sleeping. (If this is a concern, try the upside down solo cup trick to check)

IF your babies accidentally aspirate, turn them upside down, nose down. And (this seems gross) try to gently suck anything out of their nose with your mouth.

It’s great you can and are willing to SubQ if needed. But it’s best to get them to take oral hydration, even if only drop by drop. If absolutely necessary we can walk you through how to SubQ if it becomes dire.

Making sure they are warm and hydrated is the number one priority.

Also make sure you are monitoring their milk line before feeding again. Make sure it goes down, if it hasn’t, you may need to delay feeding a bit longer until it does.

Looking forward to some photos! Pics will help us to know their age, and be able to give you better/informed advice.

🤗❤️🥰

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tashahaven from:

island rehabber (08-06-2023)

Thank you both for responding. I was incredibly stressed out having these little lives depend on me. I reached out more in my area and was able to find a rehabber that took them.

While incredibly sad, I know they're in good hands and she will send me updates on them. Happy to have found this resource. It helped me care for them while I had them.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gravejm10 from:

Tashahaven (08-07-2023)