Thread: Pinky girl suddenly lethargic after feeding

Exclamation Pinky girl suddenly lethargic after feeding

I have 3 pinkies that came in to my possession just about a week ago. I gave them unflavored Pedialyte to hydrate and am currently feeding them esbilac powdered formula (reconstituted of course lol!). My girl squirrel has been so wiggly and squirmy just like her brothers up until today. She can barely hold her head up and is very sluggish. I'm keeping Her warm with her brothers and heating pad on low with a soft pillow case. Her urine output has been scanty today as well that I have noticed. Her stool is green in color and soft. I have her on Pedialyte only right now because I want to make sure she is hydrated but I've not seen any significant improvement over the past 3 hours that I've been doing this. I don't want to lose her and am very emotional about it. I'm trying my best for her. Could I possibly be over feeding her? She normally drinks 1cc of milk each feeding but now barely wants the Pedialyte. Please help!!

Default Re: Pinky girl suddenly lethargic after feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Medgonsquirrelmom89 View Post
    I have 3 pinkies that came in to my possession just about a week ago. I gave them unflavored Pedialyte to hydrate and am currently feeding them esbilac powdered formula (reconstituted of course lol!). My girl squirrel has been so wiggly and squirmy just like her brothers up until today. She can barely hold her head up and is very sluggish. I'm keeping Her warm with her brothers and heating pad on low with a soft pillow case. Her urine output has been scanty today as well that I have noticed. Her stool is green in color and soft. I have her on Pedialyte only right now because I want to make sure she is hydrated but I've not seen any significant improvement over the past 3 hours that I've been doing this. I don't want to lose her and am very emotional about it. I'm trying my best for her. Could I possibly be over feeding her? She normally drinks 1cc of milk each feeding but now barely wants the Pedialyte. Please help!!
    Does the poop smell foul? I know green poop can be a sign of a parasite.

The only way to know if you’re overfeeding is to know what she weighs. Squirrel babies should eat between 5-7% of their weight in formula at each feeding. Example a 100gr squirrel should eat between 5-7ml of formula at each feeding. 100 x .05= 5ml and 100 x .07= 7ml.

Their bellies should never feel tight, they should feel squishy like a water balloon. If you can post a picture that will help. You can give her a drop of infant gas-x as needed, if her belly feels tight and you suspect bloating. You can also try putting her lower half in some warm water and gently massaging her belly. Make sure she’s dried well and kept warm afterwards.

Try alternating the pedialyte with slightly sweetened water. Pedialyte contains a lot of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippergray View Post
    Her poop, along with her brothers poop is pretty much odorless. Her poop has now turned more solid in shape but is still soft and is occasionally dark green or dark yellowish green. Dark being the common factor. her tummy is soft and not hard or overly round.

Can you post pictures of the poop (I know gross, but extremely helpful in assessing her situation). And a picture of her would help as well.

The Esbilac should be reconstituted with plain water. Sometimes tap water, though safe for humans and pets (dogs & cats) there can be high enough levels of trace elements or metals that are very hard on these tiny, fragile bodies. I have worked with folks across the country that had issues (some very weird in deed) that were resolved by switching to bottled water (never distilled water).

The temperature of the hydration and / or formula can make a huge difference in their "pickiness". They like it very warm, warmer than we'd think (like ~108F).

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Medgonsquirrelmom89 (03-06-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippergray View Post
    How much sugar to water should I mix for her? Her poop, along with her brothers poop is pretty much odorless. Her poop has now turned more solid in shape but is still very soft and is occasionally dark green or dark yellowish green. Dark being the common factor. her tummy is soft and not hard or overly round. I will take a picture when I get home tonight from work. I'll also give her a warm bath tonight just to be on the safe side. She seems to only get this way after each feeding. She had more energy this morning and ate well, and peed and pooped well too. Idk if she likes the new food, she was a lot better off before I switched to the esbilac from a diff petag milk replacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    The only way to know if you’re overfeeding is to know what she weighs. Squirrel babies should eat between 5-7% of their weight in formula at each feeding. Example a 100gr squirrel should eat between 5-7ml of formula at each feeding. 100 x .05= 5ml and 100 x .07= 7ml.

Their bellies should never feel tight, they should feel squishy like a water balloon. If you can post a picture that will help. You can give her a drop of infant gas-x as needed, if her belly feels tight and you suspect bloating. You can also try putting her lower half in some warm water and gently massaging her belly. Make sure she’s dried well and kept warm afterwards.

Try alternating the pedialyte with slightly sweetened water. Pedialyte contains a lot of salt.
    How much sugar to water should I mix for her? Her poop, along with her brothers poop is pretty much odorless. Her poop has now turned more solid in shape but is still very soft and is occasionally dark green or dark yellowish green. Dark being the common factor. her tummy is soft and not hard or overly round. I will take a picture when I get home tonight from work. I'll also give her a warm bath tonight just to be on the safe side. She seems to only get this way after each feeding. She had more energy this morning and ate well, and peed and pooped well too. Idk if she likes the new food, she was a lot better off before I switched to the esbilac from a diff petag milk replacer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Can you post pictures of the poop (I know gross, but extremely helpful in assessing her situation). And a picture of her would help as well.

The Esbilac should be reconstituted with plain water. Sometimes tap water, though safe for humans and pets (dogs & cats) there can be high enough levels of trace elements or metals that are very hard on these tiny, fragile bodies. I have worked with folks across the country that had issues (some very weird in deed) that were resolved by switching to bottled water (never distilled water).

The temperature of the hydration and / or formula can make a huge difference in their "pickiness". They like it very warm, warmer than we'd think (like ~108F).

Oh yes, I reconstitute it with water only. I'll try bottled water instead. See if it makes a difference with her. I'll send a picture when I get home from work. I work in the medical field so it doesn't gross me out haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medgonsquirrelmom89 View Post

Home made hydration fluid:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water

Keep in the refrigerator, warm in syringes before giving and discard after 48 hours.

I am glad she is eating the new food better. The other, non-Esbilac formula is likely the culprit for the bad and stinky poos.

I am glad she is eating better.. there was some concerns about AP... have you listened for clicking?