Thread: Abscess just popped on 7 week old. What should I do now?

Default Abscess just popped on 7 week old. What should I do now?

My little baby squirrel had an abscess on her shoulder that just ruptured when she was trying to wiggle free from getting stimulated to potty. We were able to drain all of the pus, rinsed it with a saline solution, then applied Terramycin on her skin. Is there anything else we need to do? We have ciprofloxacn 500mg, doxycycline 100mg, and macrobid 100mg antibiotics for humans. Does she need to be put on any of those? And if so, could someone message me and let me know how much to give her? She weighs 182 grams. And is there anything else we can do to help her? Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Abscess just popped on 7 week old. What should I do now?

I have personally seen many abscesses heal perfectly well on their own in the wild squirrels that visit me, and some of my releases got abscesses shortly after they were released. One in particular was huge and left a big hole in her when it broke open and drained itself, but it healed well. So I don't think it is a major concern that requires your help. Nature can do this. Since the squirrel is in your care, keeping it clean with saline is great.

Maybe you will get thoughts from others.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Diggie's Friend (10-06-2022), Notatreerat (10-06-2022)

Default Re: Abscess just popped on 7 week old. What should I do now?

I agree that this should heal okay on it's own.

Keep an eye on the area that it does not become inflamed... with the pus having drained, the flushing and the topical antibiotic she is well on the road to healing.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (10-06-2022), Notatreerat (10-06-2022), Tashahaven (10-06-2022)