Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Week Old with Diarrhea PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: 2 Week Old with Diarrhea PLEASE HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Is the recent apple juice the only time you have given any apple juice?

Is she still on the HGMF or have you gotten some Esbilac powder?

She does seem dehydrated a bit in that first pic... I would substitute the plain water with the homemade hydration between the next few feedings.
    Homemade hydration fluid:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water

Are you feeding / hydrating her around the clock? I don't think this one can go too many hours at a stretch right now.
    Okay! So things are looking better. I gave her apple juice that one time and it cleared her system. She still has some diarrhea with yellow chunks in it. But I think the yellow is normal formula color? You know, I switched up her water from tap to filtered and she seems a lot less dehydrated. So I think that helped! Will try the hydration fluid as things progress.

And yes, the longest I am going is 3-4 hours over night. Otherwise I have been doing 1-1.5 ml back and forth water and formula around every 2 hours now for feeding because she seems like she needs it! Do you think that’s too much?

Don't be offended but I have to ask because we have had situations in the past where babies were being fed only 0.1ml when they should be getting 1ml. At other times we had folks misinterpret that the 5% is the entire day's feeding and not each and every feeding.

Are you absolutely certain about the feeding amounts she is being given?

At 20 grams, this baby should be eating at least 1ml and as much as 1.4ml each feeding.

I am glad you have the Esbilac now since the HGMF really is not very substantial IMO and the Esbilac should make a big difference over time... the next few days. But she is going to need some TLC ATC.
    I am not offended! I would think so too with how she was losing weight even with eating and drinking!! I am doing that amount- 1-1.4 ml right now.

So I had the powder coming in the mail but I got so nervous today with how she was looking that I went to Coastal and bought some over priced. But it was well worth it because after two feedings she seems better. I think the powder and switching to filtered water seemed to have really helped!!!

One more question, she has pimples/bumps now and I’m wondering if you think it’s from the coconut oil? She seemed to get more when I switched my soap to Dr. Bronners so I switched back... but I was wondering if that’s a common sign of something else or if you think it’s just a reaction to the soap or something. Thanks for all your help Spanky!

Here is a picture of her now (the pic is on its side, she’s not upside down...)- she is much better. Just a tad dehydrated and much more filled out!! Her shoulders and arms are a lot less skinny and she seems stronger. I think switching the formula and the hydration formula you recommended, Spanky, were a HUGE help. Now it’s just these darn red bumps... do you think it’s Staph??Name:  6844E263-AE84-46CD-8CDE-39FABE71D7D7.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  117.8 KB

She looks a lot better, yeah!

I'd start by wiping her down with some diluted betadine and see if they improve with that. I'd not use more invasive things like steroid creams before trying to treat with betadine. Do this sooner rather than later since if this is staph, and it could well be staph, it looks to be getting quickly out of control IMO.

I'd start by wiping her down with some diluted betadine and see if they improve with that. I'd not use more invasive things like steroid creams before trying to treat with betadine. Do this sooner rather than later since if this is staph, and it could well be staph, it looks to be getting quickly out of control IMO.
    Okay! So, I just went out and got the Betadine.. diluted it and put it on after I gave her her hydration formula. She’s doing good. Hope the spots clear up, they were getting worse. Will keep you updated and thank you again!! You’re truly a life saver!

Those pimple/bumps look awful. Poor baby! I hope they aren’t causing her any pain… are they improving?

💕

Quote Originally Posted by Tashahaven View Post
    Those pimple/bumps look awful. Poor baby! I hope they aren’t causing her any pain… are they improving?

💕
    I know, right?! They’re not as red but there are more of them... just did second time with the betanite. I can post pics in the morning, hopefully they get better!!

Okay, so update- she is doing alright... pretty good. I’m worried about these spots now.

So, she is eating regularly and gaining weight, which is amazing.

I am having SUCH a hard time getting her hydrated. All yesterday I gave her water every 15 minutes and she seemed better but then this morning I had some things to do and couldn’t do the same thing and now she’s back to dehydrated. So, I bought a smaller plastic bin, fleece (instead of t shirts or blankets) and an electric heating pad (instead of the rubber/water ones). Hopefully that will help her retain moisture because she gets so dehydrated so quickly!!

I have been giving her betadine topically twice every day, this morning was the third day.
    Her bumps seem less irritated but they are still multiplying... does is take a while for them to disappear? They still seem to be progressing..

Also, should I be wearing gloves/mask or something? I’ve been washing my hands really frequently but I don’t know how contagious Staph might be...??

Name:  902DCD77-1A30-4EB0-B3CA-AD93310B4FF8.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  72.1 KBName:  84666013-4B77-4A13-9868-C3D3DB9DFC6F.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  66.7 KBName:  696997F1-E494-4268-BEA7-948DB693FAB4.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  67.3 KB

Do you have access to antibiotics - like a single pill from somebody's leftovers? Something called SMZ-TMP (brand name Bactrim) also sold pre-diluted for children (and pets) under the name Sulfatrim. Other things will work as well - easiest is to find out what you can get your hands on.

Do continue to use the topical betadyne.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Do you have access to antibiotics - like a single pill from somebody's leftovers? Something called SMZ-TMP (brand name Bactrim) also sold pre-diluted for children (and pets) under the name Sulfatrim. Other things will work as well - easiest is to find out what you can get your hands on.

Do continue to use the topical betadyne.
    I don’t have any leftover... can I just get them at rite aid or some place like that?

Quote Originally Posted by NewSquirrelMama222 View Post
    I don’t have any leftover... can I just get them at rite aid or some place like that?
    No, we are talking prescription drugs. You may want to ask friends, family, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    No, we are talking prescription drugs. You may want to ask friends, family, etc.
    Spanky had said something about a steroid cream? I don’t know anyone that has any and it looks to be getting worse.

Spanky, I’m wondering what steroid creams you were talking about? She has way more bumps than before and it is getting out of control, I think. I can send pics but I’m wondering what the next steps would be?? Is it dangerous if it goes too far and gets in her bloodstream??

Update- my friend ended up knowing someone who’s a vet that rescues squirrels and she took over care because I was having a hard time finding antibiotics and the bumps were progressing! Wishing her all the best and thank you so much for the information. I know she wouldn’t have made it this far if it weren’t for all the help I got on this thread and forum!

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to NewSquirrelMama222 from:

Mel1959 (09-20-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12