Thread: Too Skinny baby HELP!

Default Too Skinny baby HELP!

Hi, I could really use some of your help right now! I’ve had a two week old infant for a little over a week now and she has gone downhill really fast. I was feeding her liquid ebsilac and she got pretty bad diarrhea for a couple days. I flushed her system with a day of just Pedialyte and then switched over to GMF and water feedings every 3 hours. (1 water feeding at 2 hour mark and formula at 3 hour mark). Her stomach was distended because she hadn’t pooped in 2 days after the Pedialyte. She just started pooping but I CANNOT seem to get her hydrated. Her skin started tenting the day after Pedialyte and hasn’t gone back. It was a little better yesterday but today it is worse. She started pooping after I gave her some apple juice but now after her belly shrunk she seems WAY too skinny and I am very worried. I will attach some pictures. I can see her bones.. she still has energy but her body seems a lot more frail. PLEASE HELP!! She’s losing weight and doesn’t seem to be getting more hydrated!!! She’s not even 20 g now and is 3 weeks!! Name:  73125557-FF0A-4814-970C-2D67A45F48F6.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  92.1 KBName:  9205E64C-3B2D-4188-8255-444ED0DDAED9.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  112.7 KB

Default Re: Too Skinny baby HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by NewSquirrelMama222 View Post
    Hi, I could really use some of your help right now! I’ve had a two week old infant for a little over a week now and she has gone downhill really fast. I was feeding her liquid ebsilac and she got pretty bad diarrhea for a couple days. I flushed her system with a day of just Pedialyte and then switched over to GMF and water feedings every 3 hours. (1 water feeding at 2 hour mark and formula at 3 hour mark). Her stomach was distended because she hadn’t pooped in 2 days after the Pedialyte. She just started pooping but I CANNOT seem to get her hydrated. Her skin started tenting the day after Pedialyte and hasn’t gone back. It was a little better yesterday but today it is worse. She started pooping after I gave her some apple juice but now after her belly shrunk she seems WAY too skinny and I am very worried. I will attach some pictures. I can see her bones.. she still has energy but her body seems a lot more frail. PLEASE HELP!! She’s losing weight and doesn’t seem to be getting more hydrated!!! She’s not even 20 g now and is 3 weeks!! Name:  73125557-FF0A-4814-970C-2D67A45F48F6.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  92.1 KBName:  9205E64C-3B2D-4188-8255-444ED0DDAED9.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  112.7 KB
    Hi! I’m not very experienced but I do know powdered puppy formula is a life saver, 1-2 water ratio with formula , feed 5% body weight. Don’t over feed him he’ll bloat. Best of luck!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BennytheSquirrel from:

NewSquirrelMama222 (09-12-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by BennytheSquirrel View Post
    Hi! I’m not very experienced but I do know powdered puppy formula is a life saver, 1-2 water ratio with formula , feed 5% body weight. Don’t over feed him he’ll bloat. Best of luck!
    I was waiting for some in the mail but I just went out and bought some and will return the rest. I couldn’t wait any longer!! Thank you for the advice. I really hope she makes it through.

Quote Originally Posted by NewSquirrelMama222 View Post
    Hi, I could really use some of your help right now! I’ve had a two week old infant for a little over a week now and she has gone downhill really fast. I was feeding her liquid ebsilac and she got pretty bad diarrhea for a couple days. I flushed her system with a day of just Pedialyte and then switched over to GMF and water feedings every 3 hours. (1 water feeding at 2 hour mark and formula at 3 hour mark). Her stomach was distended because she hadn’t pooped in 2 days after the Pedialyte. She just started pooping but I CANNOT seem to get her hydrated. Her skin started tenting the day after Pedialyte and hasn’t gone back. It was a little better yesterday but today it is worse. She started pooping after I gave her some apple juice but now after her belly shrunk she seems WAY too skinny and I am very worried. I will attach some pictures. I can see her bones.. she still has energy but her body seems a lot more frail. PLEASE HELP!! She’s losing weight and doesn’t seem to be getting more hydrated!!! She’s not even 20 g now and is 3 weeks!!

Liquid formulas are a definite no, the results are exactly what you are experiencing/ seeing and leads to failure to thrive.
    GMF usually is only used as a temporary formula. It does not contain the needed nutrients.

This baby needs continued hydration and the proper calories/ nutrients.
    I will post pic below of proper Esbilac powered formula and the home made hydration formula.
    Recommend to hydrate in between normal feedings, not instead of.

Name:  i-fbcDH6c-S.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  65.8 KB

Homemade hydration:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water

20 grams is the average weight of a 1 week old, you will need to feed according to body weight.
    20 grams @ 5% is 1cc/ml. Feed every 2-3 hours and at least 1 x through the night. Hydrate in between feedings as often as baby will take it.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 09-12-2022 at 09:41 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

NewSquirrelMama222 (09-12-2022)

Okay, update- SHE IS MUCH BETTER! I transitioned her from the GMF to that powdered Ebsilac with probiotics and after 1-2 feedings, she seemed to look healthier.

I also switched from tap water to filtered water and she seems much more hydrated. So I will continue to hydrate in between feedings and keep up with the Ebsilac powder. It really is a life saver! Thank you all for your help. I am so appreciative, it’s hard to know the right information on your own!!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to NewSquirrelMama222 from:

Tashahaven (09-13-2022)