Thread: Advice on how to help keep baby squirrel warm

Exclamation Advice on how to help keep baby squirrel warm

We rescued baby squirrels on Monday. They have been doing great and are good eaters. This morning the little one was making a clicking noise and didn’t have much of an appetite. We only had amoxicillin on hand. I did the math to ensure a proper amount was given. She refuses to stay near her heating pad. She weighs 63 grams. She is very tiny and her eyes aren’t open yet. Her brothers are and he weighs 93 grams. Is there a reason she is refusing the heat?

Default Re: Advice on how to help keep baby squirrel warm

Quote Originally Posted by Satini View Post
    We rescued baby squirrels on Monday. They have been doing great and are good eaters. This morning the little one was making a clicking noise and didn’t have much of an appetite. We only had amoxicillin on hand. I did the math to ensure a proper amount was given. She refuses to stay near her heating pad. She weighs 63 grams. She is very tiny and her eyes aren’t open yet. Her brothers are and he weighs 93 grams. Is there a reason she is refusing the heat?

She is likely refusing the heat because she is sick... very sick. What strength amoxicillin do you have and we'll help dose.

She needs to be kept warm, you may need to hold her close to your body of she'll not stay on the heat.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-09-2022)

Unfortunately she passed away shortly after I posted. She was fine last night. I noticed the clicking early this morning and had been taking care of her all day. She was very tiny. We think maybe the runt. She didn’t seem as developed as her brother. She was weak when we took her in. She had been out on the sidewalk in 110+ degree heat the day she was found. So we knew when we took her on she would require a lot of care. I’m just so sad we weren’t able to do more for her. I just hope her brother continues to stay healthy. Thank you for responding

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little Squirrel, Satini! Thank you for the love and the care you bestowed upon this baby! RIP Little Squirrel! As to the baby Brother; do you intend to care for him until a release can be facilitated. Do you have some prior experience raising Squirrels? This endeavor requires considerable devotion and attention to details but it certainly can be done. An great option would be to find a Rehabber in your general area to take over the care of your Squirrel. If you do want to opt for that, please get suggestions from our Admins and other established Squirrelers on TSB as to any possible recommendations for a Rehabber in your area. Not all Rehabbers are the same and it is essential that the Rehabber you chose be experienced with Squirrel Care and will actually raise this little Squirrel to a soft-release and will not euthanize him.

Do you have any questions as to care for this Baby Squirrrel?

There is a wealth of information from some highly experienced Rehabbers and Squirrelers here on TSB! Please post any questions you may have. Thjere is also some very useful information on the Henry's Pets website pertaining to Baby Squirrel Care. I would suggest looking there also; ( https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/).

It seems that with Brother Squirrel (does he have a name?) having open eyes and weighing 93 grams, he is probably into his 5th week. Please give us updates on Brother Squirrel! Again, thank you for your care, concern and love for Sister Squirrel! I am so sorry she has passed!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Tashahaven (09-09-2022)

Thank you so much! We took it really hard when she passed away. She was such a sweet little baby. We would like to take care of Dale and release him when he is ready. He seems to being doing well. He is strong and spunky. Chip was so weak when we got her. I honestly didn’t think she would make it through the first night. I was shocked she made it a few days. The only concern I have is feeding him at night. I have been up every couple of hours for 4 days. I have read multiple times that he can go 6 hours at night. But I am scared to go that long without feeding him

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Satini from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (09-10-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Satini View Post
    Thank you so much! We took it really hard when she passed away. She was such a sweet little baby. We would like to take care of Dale and release him when he is ready. He seems to being doing well. He is strong and spunky. Chip was so weak when we got her. I honestly didn’t think she would make it through the first night. I was shocked she made it a few days. The only concern I have is feeding him at night. I have been up every couple of hours for 4 days. I have read multiple times that he can go 6 hours at night. But I am scared to go that long without feeding him
    Hi Satini:
    I would like to recommend that you feed Dale every 4 hours but with with what certainly sounds like normal development and good health and based further upon his current weight and the fact that his eyes are open, he is at an age where night feedings can be stopped. I would suggest feeding Dale right before you go to sleep and plan on feeding him again in 6 hours. If you get up during the night and feel inclined to give Dale a "midnight" feeding, that should be fine as well but it should not be necessary. Thanks for your continued care of Baby Dale! Please provide updates on his status and continued development. What are you feeding Dale? Are weighing him every morning and calculating the amount of his feedings based upon the 5-7% "rule." When you start to offer solid food (it's getting close to that time although he will most likely just "play" with it at first), please start with a balanced healthy Squirrel Block such as those from Henrys or Mazuri (Envigo has good blocks with detailed nutritional info about them but they have been recently cited for animal cruelty and I have stopped using their products as a matter of principle but it's still an option) and again, when the time arrives for you offer Dale something other than formula, please don't give anything other than the blocks, even healthy vegetables; until Dale is regularly chowing down on Blocks. If you initially provide other options along the Blocks, a Squirrel will invariably ignore the Blocks and eat the other "stuff." We want Blocks to be a Squirrel's primary source of nutrition after weaning and even in the later stages of the weaning process.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel