Thread: Rapid breathing, not eating

Default Rapid breathing, not eating

My grey squirrel is about 6 weeks old and I’ve had her since she was about a week. This morning she started refusing her formula( she has always been a very good eater) and I noticed her breathing is extremely rapid. I’ve been listening all morning to see if there is a clicking noise, I don’t hear a clicking just her heart beating extremely fast. She also hasn’t gotten off her heating pad today and she hasn’t been using it much now that she has fur. She is also grunting/barking every time she is picked up or moved which she has never done before. She is still very alert and moving around some but definitely more lethargic that normal.

Is there anything I can do/ give her to help?
    Is this the beginning stage of pneumonia?

Name:  18B2F1AC-BA80-4A7C-894A-DA7AF1D80005.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  90.4 KB

Default Re: Rapid breathing, not eating

For now, let's proceed as though it is. They actually get easier to aspirate as they get to that age because they are TOO enthusiastic with the syringe.

Look through your medicine cabinet and contact friends and family to do the same - you are looking for leftover human antibiotics. If you find either Cipro or Amoxicillin clavulanate get the size in milligrams and come back. If not, get a list of what you CAN get and come back.

You will need to have a 1ml syringe (which is what you should be using to feed) that has clear markings on it to dilute and dose any meds. We will need the drug names and sizes and the weight of your baby.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

L0andbehold (08-20-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (08-20-2022)

Thank you!!

I found Bactrim, Amoxicillin / Clavulanic acid and cephalexin.

I have a scale on the way to me now to weigh her

She just started taking formula and drank 7mls. She was enthusiastic to eat like normal. Breathing is still a litter faster than normal I think. Do you think I should still plan to administer meds or keep an eye on it for the day? If a squirrel has pneumonia do they ever have an appetite again?

This is a video of her breathing just now
    https://youtube.com/shorts/m7cLWHVBc4w?feature=share

She weighs 173g and the amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium I have is 875 mg / 125 mg

Dosing sent by PM

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (08-21-2022)

Update:

My squirrel (Kiko) is doing much better. Her breathing and lethargy went away hours after the first dose and she started taking her formula again. I’m going much slower with feedings now- lesson learned.

I can’t thank you enough for all the help. This little girl has become my whole world.

10. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to L0andbehold:

Chirps (08-22-2022), CritterMom (08-22-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (08-21-2022), The Nut Lady (08-22-2022)

Oh, I am so glad - good on you recognizing a problem before it became a disaster! Any time a baby suddenly goes off food it is an emergency.

See that banner at the top of the page saying "In loving memory of Nancy in New York"? One of the better pieces of advice she gave me was "If older babies are getting mad because you feed too slow, YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT!"

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

The Nut Lady (08-22-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Oh, I am so glad - good on you recognizing a problem before it became a disaster! Any time a baby suddenly goes off food it is an emergency.

See that banner at the top of the page saying "In loving memory of Nancy in New York"? One of the better pieces of advice she gave me was "If older babies are getting mad because you feed too slow, YOU ARE DOING IT RIGHT!"
    I wish I'd seen this yesterday 😭