Thread: 4 week old baby squirrel with wonky back legs

Default 4 week old baby squirrel with wonky back legs

I have a female with back legs that don't seem to be working right. There seems to be a joint between her ankle and toes, very close to her ankle that makes her foot seem to bend backward. Her brother's feet are normal. I have a pic that shows him in comparison. When I bend them correctly she doesn't seem to be in pain. I wonder if I should tape the wayward joint - maybe its a break? - so that she can develop normally. She is still able to grip with her rear claws but I don't think she will ultimately be able to walk or climb. Any ideas are appreciated. Name:  IMG_4838.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  141.6 KBName:  IMG_4832.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  88.0 KBName:  IMG_4834.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  84.8 KBName:  IMG_4835.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  67.9 KBName:  IMG_4836.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  137.8 KB

Default Re: 4 week old baby squirrel with wonky back legs

Wow. That is weird - obviously something from birth or they wouldn't be the same. I don't guess you have a way to get this baby x-rayed?

Yea... I wish. I doubt my hubby would be eager to spend that kind of money here. I do have an appt with a vet who is great with birds, small animals and reptiles. I had thought with all the experience with babies folks on this board might have, someone might have seen it before and have ideas. They did fall very far out of their tree nest so I thought they might have been broken. I'm glad she is still able to use the claws and grip but she doesn't seem to be able to control the legs much at this point. BTW - thank you so much for reading my post and replying. I'll share whatever the vet says next week.

Thanks. I am always suspicious when I see things like "injuries" that are mirror images - I suppose it could happen in a fall but the chances of identical injuries to both hind legs seems small. Do keep us posted.