Thread: Baby Not eating/constipation

Default Baby Not eating/constipation

I have a 3 week old grey squirrel, he was a abandoned by his mom over a week ago- he got too cold to be accepted back. He has been doing great until the last 2 days. Up until then he has been eating 3ml every three hours. Fox valley 20/50- I switch him from esibliac last Wednesday. I couldn’t get him to poop for a couple days and Saturday he didn’t want as much formula. I got him to do a really big poop and then 4 more really big poops this morning. I thought he has just not wanted as much food if he had been backed up. It’s now Sunday night and he still has only been wanting 2 mls each feeding. This last feeding he’d only take .5ml. He has a great appetite at first,
    But as soon as I get the next syringe he won’t take it. Also ever since he has done those big poops, he’s been giving me a hard time during potties.

Name:  8E34EC72-3EA7-44C6-B831-4B84E076853D.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  78.1 KB
    Name:  FF6965A2-92AB-4561-B000-B39F9ABB2210.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  81.0 KB

Default Re: Baby Not eating/constipation

I just want to note for any readers that the babies should be warmed and kept warm when attempting to reunite. Sometimes they will be rejected, but that is the exception rather than the rule and reuniting a warm baby increases chances for success. Even though the baby has gotten cold is not a reason not to attempt to reunite as it usually makes little difference.

The formula must be very warm or they will often refuse it. Most of us use multiple syringes and a warm (hot?) water bath.... fill the syringes for feeding then place in a glass / cup of water of hot water. Some even use those coaster-like coffee warmers. And sometimes they just need to be potty-ed in between syringes.

Feeding is done by weight... do you know how much he weighs? I am attaching a cheat sheet for feeding amounts.

The FV 20/50 is fine, but I would recommend a mix of half FV 20/50 and half Esbilac 32/40 now through weaning. That's simply my preference and I have had great success with this combo.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

L0andbehold (08-20-2022), SamtheSquirrel2018 (07-31-2022)