Thread: Loss of appetite

Question Loss of appetite

Peanut is 4 months old. She used to eat her veggies like crazy. A few days ago she stopped eating. She would look threw her veggies find her block and then eat nothing else. At the end of the day sometimes she will eat some but other times she only eats one piece of broccoli or something Else. Like I said she still eats her blocks and drinks her nighttime feeding. She is still super active and is still reeking havoc around my house lol! She is also drinking + going potty really well. I’m worried since she always is acting like she’s starving. I also have noticed she was a lot more brown then some gray squirrels and recently she has grown in grey on her butt and on her tail. Could she just need more play time? Or possible this is normal when they get older? I’ll put a pic of her tail as well. Name:  3975452A-A828-48E4-BF82-796E67EAE469.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  111.0 KB

Default Re: Loss of appetite

Can you be more specific about her diet? What type of block and how many does she get per day? What veggies does she regularly get? Any treats? Could she have any hidden catches of treats that she is eating when you are not looking? This info will help members to try and figure out what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut14 View Post
    Peanut is 4 months old. She used to eat her veggies like crazy. A few days ago she stopped eating. She would look threw her veggies find her block and then eat nothing else. At the end of the day sometimes she will eat some but other times she only eats one piece of broccoli or something Else. Like I said she still eats her blocks and drinks her nighttime feeding. She is still super active and is still reeking havoc around my house lol! She is also drinking + going potty really well. I’m worried since she always is acting like she’s starving. I also have noticed she was a lot more brown then some gray squirrels and recently she has grown in grey on her butt and on her tail. Could she just need more play time? Or possible this is normal when they get older? I’ll put a pic of her tail as well. Name:  3975452A-A828-48E4-BF82-796E67EAE469.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  111.0 KB
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

She usually eats 2-3 Henry’s healthy blocks per day along with broccoli, Cauliflower,many different types of lettuce, sugar snap peas, tiny bits of carrots, and tomato. I also occasionally give her one slice of an almond and VERY rarely a peanut. I also give her lots more off of the Henry’s healthy diet list but this is just what she has gotten recently. When I cleaned her cage I checked all hammocks and there wasn’t any stash of food. I’m Very careful about how much of the less healthy foods she gets. I also give her one tiny pice of fruit a day. All the fruit I’ve ever given her is strawberry, banana, watermelon, kiwi, blackberry’s, and blueberry’s. She’s always been good about eating all her healthy food even if she gets some fruit/treats

That diet sounds good. You mentioned "havoc" around the house. Could she have gotten into something she was not supposed to? Cleaning supplies, make-up, or anything that she might be tempted to nibble on that might make her sick?

I will say that a lot of the squirrels I raised were very picky about veggies. They would eat something and then get tired of it and demand something else. It is still good that she is eating blocks regularly, is peeing/pooping normally and is otherwise behaving normal. Maybe she is just a really picky eater? Try some different veggies and see what does. Anyway, I don't see anything really alarming yet although weight loss is not a good sign. Get a current weight on her as a baseline, I would not worry as long as it stays the same or increases. But if she starts to lose weight, that is a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut14 View Post
    She usually eats 2-3 Henry’s healthy blocks per day along with broccoli, Cauliflower,many different types of lettuce, sugar snap peas, tiny bits of carrots, and tomato. I also occasionally give her one slice of an almond and VERY rarely a peanut. I also give her lots more off of the Henry’s healthy diet list but this is just what she has gotten recently. When I cleaned her cage I checked all hammocks and there wasn’t any stash of food. I’m Very careful about how much of the less healthy foods she gets. I also give her one tiny pice of fruit a day. All the fruit I’ve ever given her is strawberry, banana, watermelon, kiwi, blackberry’s, and blueberry’s. She’s always been good about eating all her healthy food even if she gets some fruit/treats
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead