Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Help baby squirrel is having diarrhea

Default Re: Help baby squirrel is having diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I went back and skimmed through this thread. You stated that Peach’s weighed 119gr. on Nov. 19 and today 11/27 she’s 135gr. That’s only a weight gain of 16gr. over 8 days. Most squirrels at this age gain 5-6gr. a day. This could be a failure to thrive baby. You definitely need to get her on full strength formula….she needs the nutrients and the calories. I’d also consider ordering some Fox Valley Ultraboost and mixing it with the Fox Valley formula. It’s recommended to replace 25% of the FV formula with the Ultraboost. The water measurement is the same. I always use Ultraboost and have never had a problem with constipation or diarrhea.

As for StS’s information about Metoclopramide….I just wanted to say that it is perfectly safe to use with rodents. My dwarf squirrel took Metoclopramide and Cisapride two times a day for many years.
    Ok I will switch to full strength formula tonight. I don’t have the full strength formula at work with me. I am concerned that she isn’t gaining weight and she keeps going up and down. She is pooping a lot even when I stimulate her. Her poop does also look very round. Is this normal ?Name:  1D1E7DDD-3891-4A9C-A3EA-760FA055459B.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  78.1 KB

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelbaby99 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-27-2021)

Their poop can be round or oval. Remember you’re not feeding a lot of food because you’ve got her formula so watered down. Everything I hope will change once she is getting adequate nutrition. Her poop is solid so there’s no reason to not feed her the recommended strength formula. You can continue to give her slightly sweetened water IN BETWEEN feedings for hydration and to help prevent constipation.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (11-28-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbaby99 View Post
    I do have a hanging bottle available and I just ordered a larger cage for her that has multiple levels. Do you think I should try and bring her to a vet. She seems fine besides her belly being full. She is pooping on her own. I have continued to give her lactulose which I think is helping her get the poop out. Her poop does seem still like hard little balls but now they are darker in color instead of when they were white/pale green.
    In regard to a visit with a Vet; with Peaches not tolerating the regular strength formula and repeatedly bloating, I would strongly recommend it. Also, for general medical principles, I truly believe it would be in the best interest of Peaches to be seen by a Vet anyway as soon as possible. Your Vet may know of someone who does see pet rats or other related "exotic" animals or even Squirrels (hopefully) and could then make a direct referral in your behalf which hopefully would result in Peaches getting an appointment right away! Her history is of a fall from a tree and she had blood around her face and had lost a bottom tooth when she came to you initially and there may be other injuries or conditions that are making it difficult for her to process formula and digest it properly and she may have other unrecognized injuries that may be related to her incident or other general health issues that need to be addressed anyway! It is getting quite worrisome that Peaches is not getting full nutritional support and this puts her at risk not just for MBD but for malnutrition in general. She is a young Squirrel and should be eagerly taking in formula and processing it normally and growing daily. Yes, SquirrelBaby, I would recommend an evaluation by a Vet as soon as possible.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

I just wanted to let know that I feel you are doing a great job with Peaches, SquirrelBaby! You are very conscientious, caring and loving to this little Squirrel! My concern is not with your care, it strictly related to Peaches health and well being and that is why I recommended a visit with a Vet! You are a wonderful Squirrel Mom!
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SamtheSquirrel2018 from:

Squirrelbaby99 (11-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheSquirrel2018 View Post
    In regard to a visit with a Vet; with Peaches not tolerating the regular strength formula and repeatedly bloating, I would strongly recommend it. Also, for general medical principles, I truly believe it would be in the best interest of Peaches to be seen by a Vet anyway as soon as possible. Your Vet may know of someone who does see pet rats or other related "exotic" animals or even Squirrels (hopefully) and could then make a direct referral in your behalf which hopefully would result in Peaches getting an appointment right away! Her history is of a fall from a tree and she had blood around her face and had lost a bottom tooth when she came to you initially and there may be other injuries or conditions that are making it difficult for her to process formula and digest it properly and she may have other unrecognized injuries that may be related to her incident or other general health issues that need to be addressed anyway! It is getting quite worrisome that Peaches is not getting full nutritional support and this puts her at risk not just for MBD but for malnutrition in general. She is a young Squirrel and should be eagerly taking in formula and processing it normally and growing daily. Yes, SquirrelBaby, I would recommend an evaluation by a Vet as soon as possible.
    Regards,
    SamtheSquirrel
    I called around and left messages for different places seeing if I could get an appointment for peaches. Now I am just waiting to hear back.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelbaby99 from:

SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-27-2021)

Yes this!!

Their poop can be round or oval. Remember you’re not feeding a lot of food because you’ve got her formula so watered down. Everything I hope will change once she is getting adequate nutrition. Her poop is solid so there’s no reason to not feed her the recommended strength formula. You can continue to give her slightly sweetened water IN BETWEEN feedings for hydration and to help prevent constipation.
    I personally don't see where veterinarian intervention would be necessary at this time, she just needs to be on an established course.
    Please bear in mind, a squirrel is a wild animal. Unless you are otherwise licensed, you are in an illegal State to have possession of a squirrel.
    Unless you have or know a vet that will safely see a (wild) squirrel under the "radar" or know a licensed rehabilatator that will use their license
    to get you into a vet, a Veterinarian's license by law requires that the wild animal /squirrel is seized and not returned. Some vets work with
    rehabilatators that they are turned over to, or they are euthanized according to their State's requirements. If the squirrel is "compromised"
    in any way physical or mental, the majority are automatically euthanized.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

11. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (11-28-2021), Mel1959 (11-28-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-27-2021), Squirrelbaby99 (11-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Yes this!!

I personally don't see where veterinarian intervention would be necessary at this time, she just needs to be on an established course.
    Please bear in mind, a squirrel is a wild animal. Unless you are otherwise licensed, you are in an illegal State to have possession of a squirrel.
    Unless you have or know a vet that will safely see a (wild) squirrel under the "radar" or know a licensed rehabilatator that will use their license
    to get you into a vet, a Veterinarian's license by law requires that the wild animal /squirrel is seized and not returned. Some vets work with
    rehabilatators that they are turned over to, or they are euthanized according to their State's requirements. If the squirrel is "compromised"
    in any way physical or mental, the majority are automatically euthanized.
    Thank you for the information I will keep this in mind. I gave her 6 mls of the full strength formula at 6:30. She is also starting to get the hang of the hanging water bottle. If I lead her to the bottle she will happily drink from it. I will give her another 6 ml feeding at 12:30 and then will check her weight and bloat status tomorrow morning. At that point I will have to weigh my options and do what is best for peaches in terms of finding someone to see her.

Thank you for the information I will keep this in mind. I gave her 6 mls of the full strength formula at 6:30. She is also starting to get the hang of the hanging water bottle. If I lead her to the bottle she will happily drink from it. I will give her another 6 ml feeding at 12:30 and then will check her weight and bloat status tomorrow morning. At that point I will have to weigh my options and do what is best for peaches in terms of finding someone to see her.
    Can anyone help me get I touch with any rehabbers in Nj or does anyone know any rehabbers in the Nj area that might be willing to help me?

Can anyone help me get I touch with any rehabbers in Nj or does anyone know any rehabbers in the Nj area that might be willing to help me?
    Can you explain why you are trying to find a NJ rehabber? Is it to seek medical help under their license? Or is it to hand over Peaches?

I agree with Step. I’m not sure that medical intervention is necessary. Unless there’s something else going on with her that you haven’t shared.

Failure to thrive babies just need more attention and time. If she is pooping ok and can tolerate full strength formula I think everything else will fall into place. What you want to see is a steady weight gain and normal stool.

For the occasional bloat you can treat with infant gas x.

I have PM'd Squirrelbaby99 the name of a very experienced NJ rehabber. She should be a good source of advice, info, and vet care if necessary for little Peaches.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (11-28-2021), SamtheSquirrel2018 (11-28-2021), stepnstone (11-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I have PM'd Squirrelbaby99 the name of a very experienced NJ rehabber. She should be a good source of advice, info, and vet care if necessary for little Peaches.
    Peaches was 138g today and I don’t feel like her belly was very bloated before her feeding. She got 7mls of full strength formula and pooped and peed on her own this morning. I was looking for information about rehabbers in Nj just in case I needed some help. I don’t want to turn over peaches to a rehabber so if I needed to take her to the vet I was hoping they could help me, but if need be I would give her to a rehabber if that was what is best for her.

Peaches was 138g today and I don’t feel like her belly was very bloated before her feeding. She got 7mls of full strength formula and pooped and peed on her own this morning. I was looking for information about rehabbers in Nj just in case I needed some help. I don’t want to turn over peaches to a rehabber so if I needed to take her to the vet I was hoping they could help me, but if need be I would give her to a rehabber if that was what is best for her.
    That is very good news SquirrelBaby! Great job Little Peaches!
    SamtheSquirrel

Awesome! I hope her weight gain continues. It would be wise to weigh her every morning, either before urinating or after. You might already be doing this. With a new weight each morning you can adjust the amount per feeding accordingly. You are currently feeding at the 5% amount…which is fine…just be aware that as she grows and continues to stabilize she will probably want closer to 7% and maybe even more. Any increases should be done gradually so it doesn’t cause diarrhea.

Good job!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (11-28-2021)

Unfortunately, my roommate is not comfortable with me keeping Peaches until the spring to release her so its looks like I will need to find a rehabber to take her. I am devastated and will miss her dearly. Hopefully, I will find someone who will take great care of her and show her as much love as I have shown her.

I’m sorry to hear that. I believe you were given the name of a NJ rehabber. Please reach out to that person for help, as it is a trusted source.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

stepnstone (11-28-2021)

I’m sorry to hear that. I believe you were given the name of a NJ rehabber. Please reach out to that person for help, as it is a trusted source.
    I have already left a message with the person recommended to me.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrelbaby99 from:

Mel1959 (11-29-2021)

kcassidy is willing to take this little one, as she has a few of her own the same age that she is overwintering. Please contact me mmandrano @ gmail.com for details -- kim will take good care of your squirrel!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Mel1959 (12-04-2021), stepnstone (12-03-2021), TubeDriver (12-07-2021)

How’s your baby doing? I see in the previous post someone is willing to take your baby and over winter it. Are you going to reach out to this person or have you already placed him?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345