Thread: Trust of baby squirrels

Angry Trust of baby squirrels

So I found these two baby squirrels around 3-4 weeks old and raising them for past 20 days they play on bed climb on me up and down but sometimes gets scared of a hand and start running and if they jump from bed game over i have to literally chase them they don't come on their own if called so had to chase them bit aggressively to catch them as they are too fast.. how should i gain trust of them

Default Re: Trust of baby squirrels

What your experiencing is their natural instinct. These are wild animals and it’s not so easy to change that.

Is your plan to release them back to the wild? If so, you don’t want to modify their natural instinct.

If your plan is to keep them, please be aware that diet is VERY important so they don’t develop metabolic bone disease, as it is deadly. Secondly, occasionally a vet resource or medicine is needed, please consider your ability to provide this given your location.

In order to gain trust you should allow them out of cage time in a small area with few places to hide….a bathroom is ideal. Make sure there are no openings under cabinets they can get into and the toilet lid is down. Spend time just sitting with them in there while they explore. Let them climb on you and do some limited jumping if possible. When it’s time to return to the cage reward them with a small tasty treat when they readily go into the cage. Remain calm and avoid chasing them as this only perpetuates their instinct to run from you.

Best of luck.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

olorin19 (10-11-2021)