Thread: Emergency emaciated 4 week squirrel

Post Emergency emaciated 4 week squirrel

Hi I am Krishna from Chennai India
    I recently found a baby squirrel near my house . I saw it was dehydration so I tried giving i homemade dehydration fluid made of water sugar and table salt.
    It only drank 2 drops and I tried giving it some for 1 hour once and after 12 hrs I gave it some packet milk diluted with water warm and it's not drinking it . I can hear slight clicking noises now and then . The squirrel is lethargic and weak and thin . How can I save its life.

Default Re: Emergency emaciated 4 week squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
    Hi I am Krishna from Chennai India
    I recently found a baby squirrel near my house . I saw it was dehydration so I tried giving i homemade dehydration fluid made of water sugar and table salt.
    It only drank 2 drops and I tried giving it some for 1 hour once and after 12 hrs I gave it some packet milk diluted with water warm and it's not drinking it . I can hear slight clicking noises now and then . The squirrel is lethargic and weak and thin . How can I save its life.
    Continue to give hydration fluid until you are confident that the baby is no longer dehydrated. It should be urinating regularly once it is well hydrated. He will need to be stimulated to urinate.

Giving formula to a dehydrated baby will be counterproductive as they cannot digest formula if dehydrated (and it will dehydrate them even more).

Cow's milk is not a very good formula substitute for our squirrels here in the USA and I suspect that is the same with the Indian Palm squirrels. If you can obtain Royal Canin puppy formula (available in some parts of India), that would be a much better way to go.

They can be very fussy about the temperature and like the formula (and hydration) very warm.

If he is clicking constantly it is likely Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) which would require treatment with antibiotics. If this is AP they will have a persistent click, even while sleeping.

Exclamation Re: Emergency emaciated 4 week squirrel

I think my squirrel has aspiration pneumonia and its very lethargic and I can hear clicking noises and it's not drinking milk and other liquid even when warm. What antibiotic should I get and what is the dosage plss tell. Or should I continue the dehydration fluid for 12 hrs with hourly once.

To dose medication we need to know the squirrel's weight and the antibiotic name and strength.

If you have any antibiotics available, if you post the name of the drug that may be the quickest route.

Drugs we often use to treat Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) include amoxicillin clavulanate, ciprofloxacin, enrofloxacin. sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (SMZ/TMP). These are the most effective, but some others can work. If you have any antibiotics post the name and someone will advise if it will be an effective treatment for AP.

Do not forget we'll need the weight of the squirrel.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Krishna (09-11-2021)

Baytril/Cipro is best. Clavamox/Augmentin is next. See if you can get any of those. We need a weight to dose. Can you also post a pic?
    redwuff
    State Licensed
    Master Wildlife Rehabilitator

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Krishna (09-11-2021), Spanky (09-11-2021)

Or should I continue the dehydration fluid for 12 hrs with hourly once.
    If he is that weak and dehydrated continue to get a few drops into him every 10 minutes or so until he perks up. You may want to rub a bit of molasses, honey or syrup (in order of prefer) on his gums in case he is in shock from low blood sugar.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Krishna (09-11-2021), redwuff (09-11-2021)

Arrow Re: Emergency emaciated 4 week squirrel

I will try to get any of the mentioned anitbiotic but what is the form I should get tablet or liquid syrup if available . If I manage to get tablet 500 mg of any one will it be fine and I will measure the weight of the squirrel asap and reply

I will try to get any of the mentioned anitbiotic but what is the form I should get tablet or liquid syrup if available . If I manage to get tablet 500 mg of any one will it be fine and I will measure the weight of the squirrel asap and reply
    Get whatever you can find. One tablet will be enough for the entire treatment... time is of the essence.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

redwuff (09-11-2021)