Thread: Cats brought me a baby squirrel

Default Cats brought me a baby squirrel

My cats brought me a baby fox squirrel, no wounds that are visible. Giving him Esbilac and pediatric separately. His weight is 71 grams. Eyes are closed, body full of fire, bottom teeth are in and top are coming in. He is just sleeping, barely moving. Very hard to get him to stay awake to eat. Peeing some amd has normal poops. Anything I need to do differently or just keeping on with what I've been doing? I am a little concerned about pneumonia bc I heard a few clicks but not alot. As far as meds on hand all I have is penicillin 30,000 units per ml and bactracillin g 300,000 units per ml, bc we have live stock. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Cats brought me a baby squirrel

If the cat's brought him, he will need antibiotics. The medication you mentioned will not provide the proper treatment required. Please ask family, friends and neighbors... search all the cupboards for antibiotics. Some common meds that are effective include Augmentin (animal version is Clavamox), Cipro (Baytril is animal version)... if you find anything else, post the name and someone will advise if it will be effective.

Aspiration Pneumonia click is usually very persistent... listen while he is sleeping and if he is clicking, pretty certain it will be AP.

Here is also a 6 page primer for baby squirrel care that is invaluable:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/