Thread: Possible Aspiration Pneumonia

Default Possible Aspiration Pneumonia

I have a pinky and yesterday he started making a pretty loud clicking sound. He was still eating and going potty. He was still clicking some during the night. I was unable to get my hands on any meds yesterday. I have meds now but the baby is no longer clicking and is still eating and going potty and very active. Is this normal? Would he just all of the sudden stop clicking? At this point it has been well over 24 hours and he seems to be doing ok. Do I start antibiotics or not? Thanks!

Default Re: Possible Aspiration Pneumonia

Most babies will have a clicking that originates from the mouth, especially after eating. A baby with Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) has a most persistent click that originates from their lungs, even when they are sleeping. It is very difficult to tell the difference int he sound without a lot of experience.

Having a good appetite is a very good sign. Having antibiotics at the ready is almost a must have when raising baby squirrels.

What antibiotic is it that you have available? Let's make sure now that it will be effective against AP just in case it is needed...

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (08-18-2021)

I have Amoxicillin 500MG in capsule form, Sulfameth/Trimethoprim 800/160MG in tablet form. I was also able to find someone to call in liquid Amoxicillin but I won't have that on hand until tomorrow.

I know at one feeding he did inhale formula and it bubbled from his nose. I immediately tilted him down and cleared his nose. I have since switched to a smaller syringe and have not had any more problems.

Is this were AP the clicking would be persistent (and he'd loose his appetite). If the clicking is intermittent, and especially around feeding time, it is likely not AP.

If he clicks in his sleep is a real tell-tale sing that it is AP. I cut the bottom out of a red solo cup and listen while their are sleeping. The plastic cup amplifies the noise.

The Bactrim is a good med for AP, but slow to act. Augmentin is better, but not plain amoxicillin.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (08-18-2021)

Thank you so much for the information. I feel better about the health of this little guy. I have raised squirrels in the past but I have never had one this small.

Are we correct in assuming that you are using a 1/2 or 1 cc syringe for feeding formula? The smaller the syringe the lower the chance of the squirrel aspirating, all other things being equal.

Yes I'm using a 1cc for feeding and I haven't had any more problems since I switched to this smaller syringe. He is doing really well now. Very active, eating well and going potty.

I got really nervous when I started hearing the clicking and I live in a state where we don't have any vet support. Most of them will not even speak to us about squirrels.

Thank you so much for answering my questions.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Neese012 from:

Rock Monkey (08-19-2021)