Thread: diarrhea and underweight

Default diarrhea and underweight

I've got a concerning situation here...

baby squirrel..

> Best I can tell about 3-4 weeks. Eyes not open, but teeth, mostly covered in hair, wobbles when attempting to walk.
    > He's underweight - a little bony - not bloated
    > loves to eat - like crazy about it
    > chirps from time to time
    > big issue with diarrhea - it's basically green/yellow/brown water - no real structure at all.
    > pee is normal and often

He was on esbilac with pedialyte between servings. However, I realized that it was not the correct one with the whey protein. So, I was going to transition him to the correct esbilac and start doing sugar water in between meals.. already been too many days in pdialyte most likely. However, all the store are out of esbilac so here is my question....

He's currently been moved to FV 32/40 which i've read may not be ideal and he's on sugar water between meals. This combination started today. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Default Re: diarrhea and underweight

Did you already have the FV 32/40? I’ve never used it because frankly the idea of a baby getting a cement gut scares me to death. Most rehabbers that are using it are NOT using it by itself. They are mixing it 50/50 with another formula, this way the babies health is not relying on a single formula that might cause problems or be deficient in nutrients.

If you can’t find powdered puppy Esbilac locally and he were mine, I’d immediately order Fox Valley 20/50 and put him on the homemade goats milk formula for the few days it takes for the 20/50 to arrive. Here’s the recipe for the homemade goats milk formula: 3 parts goats milk (fresh is best), 1 part heavy whipping cream and 1 part vanilla full fat yogurt. This formula is temporary so you must get him on FV 30/50 as soon as possible.

By chance were you feeding the liquid Esbilac? If so it always causes diarrhea, as do most of the other puppy milk replacers.

NEVER mix formula with pedialyte and ONLY use pedialyte for 24 hours. The salt is hard on their kidneys and the sugar isn’t good for them.

Offer water between feedings, with no sugar in it. A tad drop of honey can be used if he won’t take straight water. A lot of sugar, like corn syrup, can have a laxative effect, which you want to avoid.

How much does he weigh? How much have you been feeding at each meal?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Rock Monkey (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Did you already have the FV 32/40? I’ve never used it because frankly the idea of a baby getting a cement gut scares me to death. Most rehabbers that are using it are NOT using it by itself. They are mixing it 50/50 with another formula, this way the babies health is not relying on a single formula that might cause problems or be deficient in nutrients.

If you can’t find powdered puppy Esbilac locally and he were mine, I’d immediately order Fox Valley 20/50 and put him on the homemade goats milk formula for the few days it takes for the 20/50 to arrive. Here’s the recipe for the homemade goats milk formula: 3 parts goats milk (fresh is best), 1 part heavy whipping cream and 1 part vanilla full fat yogurt. This formula is temporary so you must get him on FV 30/50 as soon as possible.

By chance were you feeding the liquid Esbilac? If so it always causes diarrhea, as do most of the other puppy milk replacers.

NEVER mix formula with pedialyte and ONLY use pedialyte for 24 hours. The salt is hard on their kidneys and the sugar isn’t good for them.

Offer water between feedings, with no sugar in it. A tad drop of honey can be used if he won’t take straight water. A lot of sugar, like corn syrup, can have a laxative effect, which you want to avoid.

How much does he weigh? How much have you been feeding at each meal?
    Thanks for the note. I just ordered fedex some FV20/50. my neighbor had some 32/40 that i've been trying to use over the last few days. He's chirping up a storm today and trying to talk - energy not lacking - just not holding weight and has diarrhea (obviously not good). I'll make some homepage formula.

Yes, i was using the (now I know) bad liquid esbilac. Thanks for the note on sugar water. I read somewhere that it might help if he's dehydrated from the diarrhea, but i'll stay away.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to urbanryno from:

Mel1959 (03-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by urbanryno View Post
    Thanks for the note. I just ordered fedex some FV20/50. my neighbor had some 32/40 that i've been trying to use over the last few days. He's chirping up a storm today and trying to talk - energy not lacking - just not holding weight and has diarrhea (obviously not good). I'll make some homepage formula.

Yes, i was using the (now I know) bad liquid esbilac. Thanks for the note on sugar water. I read somewhere that it might help if he's dehydrated from the diarrhea, but i'll stay away.
    Plain hydration will help replenish the liquids lost through diarrhea so definitely offer it between feedings.

Plain hydration will help replenish the liquids lost through diarrhea so definitely offer it between feedings.

looks like i might need to take him to wildlife rescue tomorrow. At this point his diarrhea is basically the same color as the formula and just drips out of him (white/yellow). He's on this:

To make 1 Cup of formula:

6 Tablespoons of Goat's Milk
    6 Tablespoons of yogurt
    4 Tablespoons of heavy cream
    1 Egg Yolk for per cup of formula

With plain water between feedings. I'm feeding him about 6 times a day. He is skin in bones, but oddly active - chirping, trying to climb out of the shelter, etc.

Not sure what else to do. The FV 20/50 will be here in two days, but his weight/diarrhea is not getting better.

Do you have kaopectate? I’ve attached a picture of the chart for kaopectate from the Wild Mammal Baby book. It’s dosed according to weight.

Pepto Bismal will help too, but I WOULDN’T dose it at the same amount as the kaopectate. Just try a couple of drops of pepto if you have it. It will turn the stool black as it passes through.

Does the diarrhea have a strong unpleasant smell to it? Squirrels can have coccidia that must be treated with specific drugs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Do you have kaopectate? I’ve attached a picture of the chart for kaopectate from the Wild Mammal Baby book. It’s dosed according to weight.

Pepto Bismal will help too, but I WOULDN’T dose it at the same amount as the kaopectate. Just try a couple of drops of pepto if you have it. It will turn the stool black as it passes through.

Does the diarrhea have a strong unpleasant smell to it? Squirrels can have coccidia that must be treated with specific drugs.
    the smell is not very pleasant, but i'm not sure it isn't just his pee. You don't notice a sell unless you get right up on him. however, it is unpleasant. I'll try a few drops of pepto. He pees a lot. Sounds like i should stick with the goat's milk formula for now.

Hey, 'mel1959'

Just wanted to thank you for your support yesterday. My baby squirrel survived the night and had good energy this morning. Because he's not putting on weight, etc., I took him to our local rescue to take over his care: https://www.austinwildliferescue.org/

Thanks again.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to urbanryno:

Chirps (03-31-2021), Mel1959 (03-31-2021)

Thank you for getting it into safe hands. Did they tell you they’d give you an update if you called?