Thread: Cloudy Eye

Default Cloudy Eye

Man, if it's not one thing it's another with these little furbabies!

Just today I noticed my Charlie has sort of a blue-ish haze in his right eye. There also seems to be some matter collected around the eye, and he seems to be squinting it a little bit. I'm wondering if this is maybe a scratch, and if there's something I can/should do about it or should I let it heal?
    Or if it's not a scratch, is it diet-related? I still feed him every day (some rat block, some Henry's Wild Bites and Protein Blocks, some veggies, a few nuts). I'm assuming he forages a lot as well.
    I'm doubting cataracts or glaucoma, as Charlie's only about 5 months old. Or is that a possibility?

I'm posting pictures, with his healthy left eye as well for comparison.

I should note that Charlie is "semi"-wild. He was raised in our home after losing his parents at about 8 weeks. he's been living outside since about 21 weeks, but he comes to see me *almost* every day, and lets me handle and pet him (and in fact loves it).
    Name:  IMG_3777.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  107.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_3779.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  105.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3778.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  121.9 KB

Default Re: Cloudy Eye

I am sorry your question got lost - the board is super busy right now! He probably poked himself in the eye on a twig. As you can imagine, that happens pretty frequently. It looks sore and sort of murky and there appears to be stuff in the eye as well, probably because he is swiping at it with his paw. Would he let you dribble some pure saline eye drops in it? It would rinse the surface off at least and might give him some relief so he quits wiping at it and lets it heal. We usually worry about tooth issues when eyes get weepy like this but you can pretty clearly see issues with the eye itself, which you wouldn't see if he had a bad tooth.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Shadow & Arthur (09-25-2019)

Thank you I will try the drops! Just like one a day or so until it clears up?

I would try to wash the eye out as often as he will let you. Remember - just plain saline eyedrops. If you stuff the bottle in your pants pocket or hold it against your skin for a few minutes it will warm them up...things that are as close to skin temp when applied as possible are not as noticeable and sometimes better tolerated. A really extra good goody afterword would be a nice touch.

If she says "no way!" I will say that I have seen some eye injuries that just turned my stomach in some of my wilds get better and better and better until you would be hard pressed to see there was ever a problem with absolutely no treatment.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Shadow & Arthur (09-26-2019)