Thread: 2 Day old flying squirrels, Relatively new at this

SaraLeigh Guest

Default 2 Day old flying squirrels, Relatively new at this

So last night I became a full on squirrel rehabilitator. I successfully raised and released a doe when I was not even 20 years old. about six weeks ago I stumbled upon a hawk with a baby gray squirrel. I managed to get the hawk to drop it and brought the little guy in and he was probably two weeks old. Nutmeg is now running around the cage in my house as a happy little gray squirrel. So as I’m posting photos of this little guy people tend to seek you out. A couple Drove over an hour to bring me these little guys last night . they cannot be more than two days old they still have a dark spot where there umbilical cord was. I have researched all morning. Initially seeking out a Forum, Because I knew there had to be one along with Facebook pages. I read a great deal on here all morning. But it still slightly Intimidating. I found that I have to purchase a different kind of milk because I have kitten milk however my gray squirrel, Nutmeg didn’t have any issues with it. I have them safely in a Tupperware container with the heating pad underneath of it. They’re active & appear healthy however I’m not sure if I should be giving them any more than 3 to 4 drops of milk every two hours. if you guys have any more suggestions because these guys are very young...thanks Sara

SaraLeigh Guest

Default Re: 2 Day old flying squirrels, Relatively new at this

Name:  EA77BBC9-B326-4EAF-8700-24D2CE9F92A6.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  178.0 KB

Default Re: 2 Day old flying squirrels, Relatively new at this

Sara, you have to get a different formula. Even your grey needs different formula. Cats are carnivores so their formula has a lot of protein in it. The protein is WAY to high for squirrels. I would purchase powdered puppy Esbilac with probiotics and
    prebiotics. We used to use FoxValley 32:40 for babies and especially flyers BUT there have been major problems with FV 32:40. It turns to concrete in their digestive tract and they can't digest it. It stays there's until they die so I would NOT use that for these babies.

These little babies probably weigh 8 grams. I would feed them 5% of their body weight. I would buy a scale to weigh them.
    At 8 grams that would be 0.4ml. That is about 8 drops actually but it is measurable with a 1 ml syringe. They should be fed every 2 hrs.

Be very careful to not aspirated them. You have your job cut out for you. I don't envy you. When they are this small they really need to be fed around the clock which is a nightmare.

Good luck with these babies. Flyers are magical. You will LOVE them. I have two adult boys.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.