Thread: WILDING UP A 4 MONTH OLD GREY - NORTH FLORIDA

Default WILDING UP A 4 MONTH OLD GREY - NORTH FLORIDA

Hey y'all. Muggsy's foster mom here. I once thought he was an NR because of a freezing thing he did. He's stopped that completely, but has started over-grooming/self-mutilating his tail. Like, as of yesterday. He did it when he was about 8 weeks old...but only when he was around another squirrel (for mere minutes...another rehab).
    I know in my heart that he is doing this because he sees "what could be" through the window. Knowing he isn't neuro now makes it even more difficult to justify making a "pet" of him.

Muggsy has his own room in our house...with two cat trees that are over 6' tall, an even taller metal cabinet (with books, supplies, etc...inside, out of his reach) with a plush house on top, his 2 level critter nation cage (full of toys and natural stuff), and a more-than-adequate diet. The deal is, I think, there is a small, plump squirrel that I've seen checking Muggsy out through the window. I think it's a she, but her face is roundish, her tail is only about 3-4 inches long, and she just wants to hang out on the outside of the window and watch Muggsy. For the record, there are about a million squirrels in my yard right now.

Muggsy came from about 50 miles north of here. I know in North FL it is generally okay to release at this time of year. I understand the concept of baby steps with the release cage introduction, etc...

We've got plenty of nest boxes to put up, but I don't really want to release him here. There are so many hawks it is ridiculous. I really want Muggsy to stop eating his tail, and to be my baby forever.

So, TSB...should I send Muggsy back to where he came from (my parents' house, 50 miles north), and have them slowly release him?

Or should I roll the cage out to our sunroom...and see if he adjusts to the environment around here? And just hope for the best when he is releasable?

PLEASE HELP. I'VE APPLIED NEOSPORIN TO HIS TAIL, AND CORNSTARCH LAST NIGHT TO STOP THE BLEEDING. I am just worried for him , because it looks so painful. I know he would be sooooooo happy to be free with all the squirrels outside. I watch them everyday and feel bad for trying to make Muggsy into the indoor guy that I know he probably isn't.

Where to begin the wilding up? Here, or at my parents'? UPDATE: My parents are going to come pick up his entire set-up, let him stay in their sunroom, and do a slow release over the next couple of weeks. I'm beyond sad...but know it's for the best.

Thanks, y'all. I'm heartbroken, but much wiser. At least now I am confident in my abilities to rehab a baby squirrel, should the need arise again! And goodness knows I have hundreds of dollars worth of equipment to do so!!!
    Last edited by muggsy'sgm; 11-21-2017 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Update

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

LR (11-21-2017)

Default Re: WILDING UP A 4 MONTH OLD GREY - NORTH FLORIDA

Oh my. This is a problem. It is very unlikely that the tail mutilating is due to boredom or the 'call of the wild'. On TSB as a whole we collectively rehab thousands of squirrels. They all get bored and antsy before release but they DON'T start self mutilating. Self mutilating is a HUGE problem. How long has this been going on? Where on the tail is this located? I hope it's towards the end. If I couldn't stop this I would consider amputating the tail if the spot is further away from the body. Luckily this is on the tail but some chew their legs and feet. My concern is that if this continued outside after release if could become life threatening.

Maybe someone could comment on the 'bad taste' ointments that people use to deter licking and chewing. If you do that make sure it's something that doesn't burn. I probably wouldn't use this first though. Actually anything that would draw attention to the area might make it worse.

I guess you could put his cage in your sunroom and see if the new sights and sounds will keep his attention and stop the tail chewing. I hate to say it but this could make him a non-release if it can't be stopped. As long as it's a tail it can be managed but if he moves on to the feet... well ... you know.

There are medications that have been tried but unfortunately they aren't always successful. They chew because of irritation or nerve pain/tingles or an OCD behavior. Try moving the cage and see if it helps first before you do anything else.

I would not release while he is still chewing the tail.

4. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (11-21-2017), LR (11-21-2017), Mel1959 (11-21-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-21-2017)

Where you release Muggsy doesn't really matter. He will not have any connection to where he was born. As far as hawks, I would say that all areas have hawks but yes, some are worse than others. I think a more important issue is after care. If he is released and then it's determined that he can't make it outside he would need to be captured and brought back in. I'm sure your parents could probably do that also.
    But again, I would not release a squirrel that's chewing it's tail. I would try to resolve that before release. If that meant amputation, I would do it. My dearest release (Dixie) has a 3 inch tail. It's the cutest thing ever and doesn't cause any problem at all. I can spot her from anywhere. As a pinkie her tail was nearly severed by a cat bite. It had to be removed as it was not viable.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

LR (11-21-2017), Mel1959 (11-21-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-21-2017)

The tail mutilation sounds like Obsessive Compulsive Behavior from stress.
    It's like when you see a squirrel doing dozens of identical laps around their cage.
    He may be stuck in a mental loop of "tail hurts.. chew on tail.. tail hurts... chew on tail".
    When I notice one doing it, I change their environment, or add something else to divert their attention.

I would suggest both putting something bad tasting on his tail,
    and giving him other things to chew on.. like a steak bone or pine cones.
    Also try adding new items to his cage, like a branch with leaves on it.

You said there are a million squirrels in your yard... and the hawks are ridiculous.
    Causality and Effect. Hawks like to nest near abundant food.
    There may be more hawks where you are.. but there are also more squirrels.
    His chance of encountering a hawk are probably about the same... after he reaches full size.
    Hawks WILL target smaller squirrels. Which is why I try to not release until about 16th week.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Javarat:

LR (11-21-2017), Mel1959 (11-21-2017), muggsy'sgm (11-21-2017)

Thanks everyone! My parents will treat his tail and keep an eye on him for a while. It just started two days ago...and is nearer the end...about 4 inches of pure, raw tail...just on the top part.

They will not introduce Muggsy to the "wild" until they are certain he has stopped chewing on his tail.

I appreciate all of the advice. Y'all are invaluable!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

LR (11-21-2017)

Is it possible that this is an injury/pinch and he is chewing it off?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

stepnstone (11-21-2017)

Nope. I examined it from top to bottom, and the tail was only missing skin along the top side...where he overgroomed before about 2 months ago. My parents said he is hiding out now, inside his same cage that he's been in for months.
    I've been crying nonstop for hours. Had to cancel some appts I had.

He really wrapped me around his finger, but I know in my heart that the wild is where he needs to be ultimately. My mom has Clavamox and Baytril, in case the tail starts to look weird. Last time he did this, though, he quit within a day...and the cornstarch and neopsporin kept it from getting infected.

They will keep Muggsy on their patio for a while...protected on all 4 sides, yet he will be able to observe the yard.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Who knew that these little guys could fill our hearts with the craziest, fullest love?!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to muggsy'sgm from:

cava (11-21-2017)

That's very normal for them to hide out in a nest box, cube, hammock or some private place when they first go outside. The change scares them at first but they soon come out to explore.
    He'll be OK mom. As long as he doesn't chew that tail it's all good. Dry those tears.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

cava (11-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    That's very normal for them to hide out in a nest box, cube, hammock or some private place when they first go outside. The change scares them at first but they soon come out to explore.
    He'll be OK mom. As long as he doesn't chew that tail it's all good. Dry those tears.
    I sat on TSB, reading all of y'all's wonderful tales (no pun intended). Muggsy definitely bonded with me, and I was ecstatic when the freezing thing he used to do seemed to have resolved itself. I envisioned he and I, growing old together. But if he's perfectly capable, why would I keep him trapped in a 10' x 10' room in my house...with a beautiful view of 5 or 6 squirrels playing with wanton abandon all day?!

I know we are doing the right thing. I know I acted a little quickly, but the tail-chewing episode was just the final straw, so to speak. He's been showing signs of being a nice, curious, healthy fellow. I've not allowed my other animals into the room with him, and Muggsy had started the warning wailing when the squirrels outside would do it (usually at nightfall). He knows how to open all nuts, stashes and hides food around his room, and always retreats to his nest box at night.

My parents have the rodent block, HHB (for babies and for older squirrels), lots of homemade squirrel block, etc...so Muggsy will be definitely provided for whenever he ventures out (in a few weeks).

Thanks, y'all. I seriously am a wreck. Like, I want to drive up to my parents' and grab that ball of fur and force him to be a house-squirrel!!!

But, I'm gonna go with what I know to be the right thing...

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to muggsy'sgm:

cava (11-21-2017), Mel1959 (11-21-2017)