Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And there was two.

Red face Re: And there was two.

Quote Originally Posted by kcassidy View Post
    As others have said, it is probably the stuffed up nose that is making it difficult for her to breathe. When I get snot noses in, I take much longer to feed them their formula. It is hard for them to suck when they can't breathe thru their nose. So be patient with her (him?)

You're doing a good job and the picture is adorable, I love them.
    Thanks. The little one is doing much better and the bleeding seems to have cleared up completely now. Her breathing is also 100% again. Both little girls are extremely feisty and I'm taking that as a good sign that they are doing well. When they sleep they cuddle nicely together so it's sort of a God's send that it ended up that we saved two. The first one we saved from the crow/raven is a real little fighter. The bite marks on her tail is healing very nicely and she seems to be the escape artist because twice now she has managed to escape the "nest". Luckily we took cautionary prevention and placed the nest into another "nest" aka cardboard box. I have a feeling when those eyes open we're going to have our hands full.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ReinU from:

lennysmom (08-19-2017)

Default Re: And there was two.

Quote Originally Posted by ReinU View Post
    Thanks. The little one is doing much better and the bleeding seems to have cleared up completely now. Her breathing is also 100% again. Both little girls are extremely feisty and I'm taking that as a good sign that they are doing well. When they sleep they cuddle nicely together so it's sort of a God's send that it ended up that we saved two. The first one we saved from the crow/raven is a real little fighter. The bite marks on her tail is healing very nicely and she seems to be the escape artist because twice now she has managed to escape the "nest". Luckily we took cautionary prevention and placed the nest into another "nest" aka cardboard box. I have a feeling when those eyes open we're going to have our hands full.
    I'm so glad to hear the little one with breathing issues is doing better. Yes, being feisty is a good sign - that's just a baby squirrel for you Oh when they open their eyes, then the fun really begins!
    A cardboard box really isn't the best thing to keep them in as it can dry out their skin - I found this out the hard way with my first baby squirrel. A plastic bin like a big Rubbermaid storage tote works great for them, even after they open their eyes while they are learning motor skills. I prefer the clear bins so they can see out and I can watch them play.
    Something like this works great, although it doesn't have to be that large.
    Name:  IMG_7621.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  52.4 KB
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

gunpackingrandma (08-19-2017)

Your doing a fantastic job! It's really scary when you first start taking care of such small fur babies, it gets easier!!! Enjoy the journey and post lots of pictures!!!

Red face Re: And there was two.

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    I'm so glad to hear the little one with breathing issues is doing better. Yes, being feisty is a good sign - that's just a baby squirrel for you Oh when they open their eyes, then the fun really begins!
    A cardboard box really isn't the best thing to keep them in as it can dry out their skin - I found this out the hard way with my first baby squirrel. A plastic bin like a big Rubbermaid storage tote works great for them, even after they open their eyes while they are learning motor skills. I prefer the clear bins so they can see out and I can watch them play.
    Something like this works great, although it doesn't have to be that large.
    Name:  IMG_7621.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  52.4 KB
    Hi. I took your advice and moved them to a plastic storage tote and it was really good timing as their eyes started opening yesterday and today. They are doing really well and now that the eyes are open they are all mobile and want to go everywhere at feeding time. How long must I keep them on the formula and when can I start feeding them rodent block and also when will they start drinking from a normal water bottle. Here is a photo I took of them this morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ReinU from:

lennysmom (08-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by ReinU View Post
    Hi. I took your advice and moved them to a plastic storage tote and it was really good timing as their eyes started opening yesterday and today. They are doing really well and now that the eyes are open they are all mobile and want to go everywhere at feeding time. How long must I keep them on the formula and when can I start feeding them rodent block and also when will they start drinking from a normal water bottle. Here is a photo I took of them this morning.
    Oh they are absolutely precious.
    You did an excellent job!
    Keep them on formula as long as they will take it.
    That's your best insurance against Metabolic Bone Disease.
    I've had some that take it for 6+ months.
    I don't typically give them any solids until they are around 6-7 weeks,
    only because I want them to take as much formula as they can.
    After that I start them on HHB's. Most get the high protein blocks for baby squirrels.
    https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/
    They typically will start drinking from a water bottle around 8-9 weeks, once
    they get into a "starter size" cage.
    Again, I don't offer water until they are in a cage, BUT I always feed formula regardless,
    for as long as they take it.

Edit: You can put a few "safe" branches in their cage for them to chew,
    or get the apple branches for the pet stores. Mine LOVE those, and they
    are just the right size.
    They love chewing.
    https://www.amazon.com/KAYTEE-Apple-...nches+for+pets
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-23-2017 at 07:32 AM.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

lennysmom (08-22-2017)

Oh my word, they are just adorable! I agree with Nancy, you've done a great job and they look wonderful. I too give them formula as long as they will take it and let them wean themselves when they are ready.

Here soon you will want to get some things for them to chew on to keep their teeth from overgrowing. The apple sticks you can buy at the pet store in the rodent section have always been a favorite of mine at this age.

I just love this age when their eyes first open - those little cuties are so much fun to watch and interact with!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Nancy in New York (08-22-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12