Thread: Switching from esbilac to FV.

FolkloreFairy Guest

Default Switching from esbilac to FV.

I'm housing a little boy who fell out from his nest from under a gutter. The little guy made it two stories down with only a couple of scuffs and poorly dehydrated. Sadly his other siblings didn't make it before I happened upon him.

Long story short now "Squirt" is coming up to 4 weeks and I want to switch him from the puppy formula to the FV. Just wondering what would be a good ratio to help make the switch without upsetting him. When I introduced the puppy formula to him from pedialyte I did a 1/3 rate then 2/2 you get the point. Would this work the same with the formulas? Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Switching from esbilac to FV.

Quote Originally Posted by FolkloreFairy View Post
    I'm housing a little boy who fell out from his nest from under a gutter. The little guy made it two stories down with only a couple of scuffs and poorly dehydrated. Sadly his other siblings didn't make it before I happened upon him.

Long story short now "Squirt" is coming up to 4 weeks and I want to switch him from the puppy formula to the FV. Just wondering what would be a good ratio to help make the switch without upsetting him. When I introduced the puppy formula to him from pedialyte I did a 1/3 rate then 2/2 you get the point. Would this work the same with the formulas? Thanks for the help!
    Bless you for rescuing him, and so sorry about the other babies.....
    I find that babies transition easily from Esbilac to FV, so I do it as two feedings of 1/4 FV to 3/4 Esbilac, then two feedings of half FV half Esbilac, then two feedings of 1/4 Esbilac to 3/4 FV, and finally you're at full strength FV. Of course the ratio of water to powder is always the same: 2 parts water to 1 part powder. I mix my two powders ahead of time so I don't screw up trying to figure out scoops.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Nancy in New York (08-15-2017)

Just make sure the Fox Valley you are using is the 20/50 and NOT the 32/40.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

island rehabber (08-16-2017), Mel1959 (08-16-2017)

FolkloreFairy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Just make sure the Fox Valley you are using is the 20/50 and NOT the 32/40.
    Yes 20/50. That's why I'm excited for the switch now that he has the 4 week mark. I've ordered from the FV site before but I actually found another supplier that carries FV for $1 cheaper and half the shipping price. He also makes "baby kits" that comes with some basic essentials.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to FolkloreFairy from:

Mel1959 (08-16-2017)

FolkloreFairy Guest

Smile Re: Switching from esbilac to FV.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Bless you for rescuing him, and so sorry about the other babies.....
    I find that babies transition easily from Esbilac to FV, so I do it as two feedings of 1/4 FV to 3/4 Esbilac, then two feedings of half FV half Esbilac, then two feedings of 1/4 Esbilac to 3/4 FV, and finally you're at full strength FV. Of course the ratio of water to powder is always the same: 2 parts water to 1 part powder. I mix my two powders ahead of time so I don't screw up trying to figure out scoops.
    Thank you! I just wanted to double check. Who knew if mixing the formulas would have been bad and just wanted to double check that he could handle it.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to FolkloreFairy:

island rehabber (08-16-2017), Mel1959 (08-16-2017)

Yes 20/50. That's why I'm excited for the switch now that he has the 4 week mark. I've ordered from the FV site before but I actually found another supplier that carries FV for $1 cheaper and half the shipping price. He also makes "baby kits" that comes with some basic essentials.
    Sounds like henryspets.com. We love them.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

FolkloreFairy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Sounds like henryspets.com. We love them.
    Yes I fell in love with his site. What's your opinion on the high protein blocks? I didn't realize and was excited to hear that they actually make the blocks themselves.

Yes I fell in love with his site. What's your opinion on the high protein blocks? I didn't realize and was excited to hear that they actually make the blocks themselves.
    Yes for a little one weaning off formula, the high protein blocks would be a good choice. Those are the ones I use when my squirrels are weaning - I just start putting one in with them to nibble on and allow them to wean at their own pace. Some wean quicker then others, but I have had great success with those.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

island rehabber (08-16-2017)

Ditto what lennysmom said. I start my guys on the high-protein growth formula blocks, one per day at 8 wks old and then graduating to 2 per day until release. If they get bored with them I switch to the Picky Formula. They are your insurance that your squirrel is getting all the calcium and other vital nutrients it needs, regardless of what other foods it actually eats that day.

henryspets.com was actually founded, and is run by, a Squirrel Board member named Leigh. She and her partner Jay bake every single block themselves, on premises, and they are squirrel lovers to the max.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.