Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Found -Jenny- first baby gray squirrel

Default Re: Found -Jenny- first baby gray squirrel

You meant 114gr not 14 gr, right? I'm not sure what you mean "just over", unless your scale isn't digital. . Digital scales give a "spot on" accurate weight which is useful when needing an exact weight.

You found Jenny on April 2. So you have had her for 9 days and she's only gained a gram or two since the initial finding weight of 114gr. That does not sound like adequate weight gain to me. Is she having diarrhea? Is she peeing and pooping ok? How often and how much are you feeding now? I think you may need to get the Fox Valley and maybe some of the Ultraboost to help her gain some weight. Baby squirrels are no different than a human baby in that they are growing at a quick rate and need the proper nutrition and extra calories to develop properly. A good healthy diet is the foundation for a healthy squirrel.

The only other addition you could add to her bin is a stuffed animal, no button eyes or anything that can be chewed off. Single squirrels can feel lonely with no siblings to snuggle with.

Hopefully others will chime in with some thoughts or suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You meant 114gr not 14 gr, right? I'm not sure what you mean "just over", unless your scale isn't digital. . Digital scales give a "spot on" accurate weight which is useful when needing an exact weight.

You found Jenny on April 2. So you have had her for 9 days and she's only gained a gram or two since the initial finding weight of 114gr. That does not sound like adequate weight gain to me. Is she having diarrhea? Is she peeing and pooping ok? How often and how much are you feeding now? I think you may need to get the Fox Valley and maybe some of the Ultraboost to help her gain some weight. Baby squirrels are no different than a human baby in that they are growing at a quick rate and need the proper nutrition and extra calories to develop properly. A good healthy diet is the foundation for a healthy squirrel.

The only other addition you could add to her bin is a stuffed animal, no button eyes or anything that can be chewed off. Single squirrels can feel lonely with no siblings to snuggle with.

Im sorry, I looked at the calendar and am completely off on my dates. . You have only had Jenny a couple of days, so a gram or so is not out of the ordinary. Just watch and weigh her to be sure she continues to gain weight. If you do find that she's not gaining well, I have had excellent results with the Ultraboost added to the formula.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Covel3 (04-04-2017)

I found her Friday, May 31, so that's 5 days I've had her. I could barely get her anything the first 2 days (3-5ml 5x a day). Yes, 14g was a typo, she's like 114.4. She wouldn't stay still enough for my scale to settle on an exact number. The first time I weighed her was just after I fed her, and the 114.4 was this morning before her first feeding( I know, I should have thought to weight her before feeding the first time) Jenny's peeing and pooping well, her stool is soft, but in well formed pellets. I stimulate her at every feeding, so 4x a day 4 hours apart, and she always pees and poops a good amount. She doesn't like to be covered while she's drinking, which is what I read most babies like, but then again, that place has been wrong about a lot! She's now up to drinking 9ml at each feeding.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Covel3 from:

Nancy in New York (04-04-2017)

Im sorry, I looked at the calendar and am completely off on my dates. . You have only had Jenny a couple of days, so a gram or so is not out of the ordinary. Just watch and weigh her to be sure she continues to gain weight. If you do find that she's not gaining well, I have had excellent results with the Ultraboost added to the formula.
    No problem! I'm glad she's not gaining too slow! I was getting worried!

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Covel3:

Mel1959 (04-04-2017), Nancy in New York (04-04-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Covel3 View Post
    I found her Friday, May 31, so that's 5 days I've had her. I could barely get her anything the first 2 days (3-5ml 5x a day). Yes, 14g was a typo, she's like 114.4. She wouldn't stay still enough for my scale to settle on an exact number. The first time I weighed her was just after I fed her, and the 114.4 was this morning before her first feeding( I know, I should have thought to weight her before feeding the first time) Jenny's peeing and pooping well, her stool is soft, but in well formed pellets. I stimulate her at every feeding, so 4x a day 4 hours apart, and she always pees and poops a good amount. She doesn't like to be covered while she's drinking, which is what I read most babies like, but then again, that place has been wrong about a lot! She's now up to drinking 9ml at each feeding.
    114 grams @ 7% comes to 7.9 cc's
    Be careful, over feeding causes diarrhea with these babies.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Covel3 (04-04-2017), Mel1959 (04-04-2017)

Jenny is doing great! She's at 122 grams now and really starting to enjoy chewing things. She started going to the bathroom herself and is sitting up on her haunches without nose diving!

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Covel3:

Mel1959 (04-07-2017), Nancy in New York (04-07-2017)

Keep up the good work!

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Covel3 (04-08-2017), Nancy in New York (04-07-2017)

Jenny is still doing great! We had a slight aspiration scare, but she's doing good. I was finally able to get some 20/50 fox valley and o ring syringes. How do I transition her from estiblac to fox valley?

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Covel3 from:

Nancy in New York (04-26-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123