Thread: Eastern Gray Squirrel feeding at 7 weeks

Dmadison Guest

Default Eastern Gray Squirrel feeding at 7 weeks

Hello everyone,
    My Squirrel's name is Squeak he is almost 7 weeks old. He has been introduced to rodent blocks, mineral wheel, as well as sunflower seed kernels which he is happily snacking on. My question is how much formula should I be giving him at this point? I feed him every 4-5 hours 10-12 mls of puppy formula. I've currently used http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/squirrelcare.htm#13 for reference as well as a local vet office. It says I should be cutting him down to 3/4 feedings a day this week, it has a chart. I set an alarm & wake up during the night. Should I be doing this? If so I'd feed him every 6 hours. Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Eastern Gray Squirrel feeding at 7 weeks

Good morning!

Feed him powdered Puppy Esbilac with pre and pro biotics (1 part powder 2 parts water). He should be getting 5-7% of his body weight daily every 4 hours 4-5 times a day. Feed late and early and you can sleep again .

You should make sure he is really chowing down on the blocks before he gets seeds or anything else. Milk then blocks then veggies and fruit/nuts/seeds just as a snack/treat.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Use this one instead of that other chart. I was looking at that page too, and it does have some great info, but if you want advice here, stick to the one the folks use on this site. (The link above)

You don't need to cut down the amount of feedings so much per week like some charts say. You want him to eat the formula for as long as possible because it's nutritionally complete and helps avoid metabolic bone disease. He will wean himself. When mine did I tried other tactics to get him to eat, but then started spacing out the feedings and then started leaving milk in the cage. Mine are 10 and 12 weeks and get syringe feeding in the morning, bowl of milk for lunch, attempt at syringe feeding at dinner or a bowl if they won't take it. The younger one still takes dinner syringes. They also get blocks breakfast and dinner with a variety veggies/outside stuff and one blueberry, one little piece of walnut and two sunflower seeds each.

I hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.