Thread: Squirrel has broken left hind leg, injured left front paw and entire tail is missing

lem1501 Guest

Default Squirrel has broken left hind leg, injured left front paw and entire tail is missing

About a week and a half ago I noticed an injured squirrel in the enclosed garden behind my house where I feed some squirrels. He is missing his entire tail, his left hind leg appears to be broken and his left front paw is also injured. He is able to use the front paw somewhat to eat small nuts but I don't think he can put much weight on it. There are about 6 or 7 other squirrels that come to feed in the garden but the injured one has to wait until they are finished, hiding behind a flower pot, before he can come out and eat. I've seen him almost every day now and he does seem to be able to get around but this is absolutely heart breaking. I can see an area of pink skin on the broken hind leg but I don't see any blood or oozing areas. It almost looks like this happened a while ago and he's been able to make the best of it. When he hears a loud noise or sees someone walking he "runs" off, hobbling on his two good legs and using the left paw as much as he can. I have no idea if he can climb trees or where he goes when he is not in the garden. Once when I watched him run away he fell over on his bad side but got right up and continued "running". I am putting out lots of corn, peanuts and sunflower seeds plus pans of water so he will have food easily accessible. I don't know what to do and could really use some advice here. If I were to try and catch him and succeed what are the chances for treating his injuries? More trauma for the squirrel with a not so hopeful outcome? Does it make sense to try and catch him only to have a vet put him to sleep? Is he better off trying to survive on his own and letting nature take it's course or should I try and catch him and try and get him some help. I understand older wild squirrels do not do well in captivity. Looking ahead, how will he survive the winter if he makes it that long? This is very upsetting and I want to try and help this squirrel.

Default Re: Squirrel has broken left hind leg, injured left front paw and entire tail is miss

Being a wild, trapping him would likely cause him extreme stress. Those foods are not the best choice for squirrels to eat. If you can get some in shell nuts (walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds), they would be a better choice for all of them. Just supporting him maybe put food in a couple of places so he has a chance to eat without getting chased off? Many also buy quality rodent block (Harland Takland, Mazuri are a couple), drizzle with veggie oil, put in microwave until nice and hot, then mix a little peanut butter in (hot oil softens blocks and they can absorb the peanut butter). It is good for them, but sometimes it takes a while to get wilds to eat it.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to pappy1264 from:

Default Re: Squirrel has broken left hind leg, injured left front paw and entire tail is miss

I would definitely attempt to trap. With only the use of
    2 1/2 legs his chances of survival are very slim.

But you have to have a game plan if you do. I've always
    heard that in PA they will just euthanize injured wildlife,
    with no exceptions.

Finding a trusted rehabber to either take him or guide
    you is a must.

4-6 weeks of a safe, quiet environment with good nutrition
    to heal maybe all he needs.

Thank you for caring
    Scurry Central
    living and loving squirrel

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lilidukes:

astra (06-08-2016)

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes View Post

with no exceptions.

you is a must.

Thank you for caring
    Licensed wildlife rehab centers in PA do not euthanize injured wildlife unless their injury is one where there is no hope for survival in the wild once "rehabbed". They also euthanize those whom are experiencing severe suffering and when there aren't enough rehabbers or volunteers to nurse them back to health. For example, fawns that can't be reunited with their mother must be frequently euthanized by the game commissioners at the middle to end of baby season because there are no rehabbers that can admit more. Many already have 15+ fawns costing $550 each for formula. We also have 3 quarantine zones for CWD which complicates the rehabbing of fawns.

Check the Facebook pages of PA's rehabbers.
    http://wildlife.rescueshelter.com/Pennsylvania
    Their Facebook pages are proof injured animals are provided excellent medical care and aren't just euthanized. They show squirrels wearing leg casts, passerines with arm slings, turtles with expensive burn victim bandages, opposums with wound dressings, eagles with pinned wings, and etc... I personally vouch for the few licensed wildlife rehab centers that exist in Western PA as I have weekly (sometimes daily in baby season) contact with all of them.

You can PM me, lem, for a name of the closest wildlife rehabber/center in PA.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DaSquirrelMom from:

with no exceptions.

you is a must.

Thank you for caring
    I'd agree with lilidukes.
    2 1/2 legs is not good for survival.
    I've witnessed wild squirrels being trapped for treatment - both on this board and off/outside the board. At first they get very stressed out, but then - when they realize no one is eating them, and that they are fed, instead, they calm down. Granted, they are still wild squirrels, which means lancing, growling, biting and overall dislike of humans and the cage, but they sort of deal with it. So, trapping and treating a wild is doable and possible.
    You just need to be prepared for it, both mentally (that it won't be easy) and with a course of action, which means: have a plan (where you are going to keep, supplies etc.).
    Quote Originally Posted by DaSquirrelMom
    Licensed wildlife rehab centers in PA do not euthanize injured wildlife unless their injury is one where there is no hope for survival in the wild once "rehabbed". They also euthanize those whom are experiencing severe suffering and when there aren't enough rehabbers or volunteers to nurse them back to health.
    No rehabber will euthanize a healthy squirrel that can be released back to the wild. (although it does happen to healthy babies when there are not enough hands to care for them; or if a squirrel was raised by a "lay" person, many centers and rehabbers decide that this squirrel is too "imprinted" (which is ignorant) to be releasable, and euthanize it, too).

What I think lilidukes meant is that most rehabbers and centers will not bother with a squirrel with extensive injuries. As you pointed it out yourself, their resources are very limited. A squirrel like this - with two bungled legs (and who knows what infection may be in there) will require too many resources and too much personal attention for most wildlife centers and rehabbers.

Moreover, it's not that all these rehabbers decide to euthanize a healthy squirrel

What so many rehabbers do, unfortunately, is they assume/decide that a given squirrel with serious injuries will not recover enough to be releasable. So, they end up euthanizing a squirrel with serious injuries before even trying to treat it. They do not even give such a squirrel a chance.
    I've experienced it myself.
    Many times they would assume (before even treating a squirrel) that this or that squirrel will not recover enough to be releasable, and euthanize it without even giving it a chance.
    And in PA, unfortunately, such "assumptions" tend to happen more often compared to some other states.

So, on this I'd agree with lilidukes as well - most rehabbers and esp. rehab centers, esp. in PA, will deem this squirrel's injuries too extensive for them to care and too little chances of becoming releasable. As a result, there is a very, very good chance they will just put this squirrel down.

9. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to astra:

lennysmom (06-08-2016), missPixy (06-09-2016), Nancy in New York (06-09-2016), stepnstone (06-08-2016)

But you have to have a game plan if you do.

you is a must.

if you decide to trap, but do not know a trusted rehabber (which is hard to find), the rehabbers on this board could help you and guide you, will tell you which meds to look for, how to administer them best etc.
    The most recent example is this thread: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...do-to-help-him

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    I'd agree with lilidukes.
    2 1/2 legs is not good for survival.
    I've witnessed wild squirrels being trapped for treatment - both on this board and off/outside the board. At first they get very stressed out, but then - when they realize no one is eating them, and that they are fed, instead, they calm down. Granted, they are still wild squirrels, which means lancing, growling, biting and overall dislike of humans and the cage, but they sort of deal with it. So, trapping and treating a wild is doable and possible.
    You just need to be prepared for it, both mentally (that it won't be easy) and with a course of action, which means: have a plan (where you are going to keep, supplies etc.).

No rehabber will euthanize a healthy squirrel that can be released back to the wild. (although it does happen to healthy babies when there are not enough hands to care for them; or if a squirrel was raised by a "lay" person, many centers and rehabbers decide that this squirrel is too "imprinted" (which is ignorant) to be releasable, and euthanize it, too).

What I think lilidukes meant is that most rehabbers and centers will not bother with a squirrel with extensive injuries. As you pointed it out yourself, their resources are very limited. A squirrel like this - with two bungled legs (and who knows what infection may be in there) will require too many resources and too much personal attention for most wildlife centers and rehabbers.

Moreover, it's not that all these rehabbers decide to euthanize a healthy squirrel

What so many rehabbers do, unfortunately, is they assume/decide that a given squirrel with serious injuries will not recover enough to be releasable. So, they end up euthanizing a squirrel with serious injuries before even trying to treat it. They do not even give such a squirrel a chance.
    I've experienced it myself.
    Many times they would assume (before even treating a squirrel) that this or that squirrel will not recover enough to be releasable, and euthanize it without even giving it a chance.
    And in PA, unfortunately, such "assumptions" tend to happen more often compared to some other states.

So, on this I'd agree with lilidukes as well - most rehabbers and esp. rehab centers, esp. in PA, will deem this squirrel's injuries too extensive for them to care and too little chances of becoming releasable. As a result, there is a very, very good chance they will just put this squirrel down.
    Bolded lettering above is by me.

It's not true that healthy animals are never euthanized. There are rehabilitation centers in some western states that euthanize healthy, non-native, invasive species and this includes adult gray squirrels.

Do you have references/links/websites for where you derived your info on "PA rehabbers are more likely to euthanize injured animals without giving them a chance more than other state's rehabbers" or is that your personal opinion? Please check the injured animal photos on websites and Facebook pages of PA wildlife rehab centers.

Resources for "casting" a squirrel's broken limbs are inexpensive. Buying formula ($550) for one fawn is expensive and therefore, limited for rehab centers that rely on limited donations. Rehabbing a cast-wearing squirrel is not labor intensive.

You may contact me for names (plural) of PA rehabbers who will admit your injured squirrel for treatment and provide excellent care.

12. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to DaSquirrelMom:

missPixy (06-09-2016)

lem1501 I want to apologize for my words taken wrong.
    Many times in the past here on TSB we would read
    about peeps running sick or injured squirrels to a vet
    or rehab center and the animal was seized and
    euthanized. Especially in PA.
    I hope and pray that that is not the norm these days.

I am not a newbie to TSB even though it looks like it.
    Years ago I was kicked out of a rehab group for not
    euthanizing a paralyzed squirrel (she walks on all
    4's now) even though SC is a legal state for "pet"
    squirrels. Euthanizing is cheaper than the cost of
    providing long term care.

My home today is a sanctuary for disabled and injured
    squirrels. I have squirrels who were once wild adults
    who were injured and unable to be released back to
    the trees. All of them have adapted to captivity over time
    and are healthy and content . I would never keep one
    if it was unhappy, then even I would euthanize.
    Euthanizing is a last resort or blessing from pain to me.
    If a squirrel wants to fight for their life I do my very best
    to provide the means for them to do so.

lem if you catch this squirrel I would be honored to assist
    you in any way I can.

astra
    Scurry Central
    living and loving squirrel

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lilidukes from:

missPixy (06-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by DaSquirrelMom View Post
    Bolded lettering above is by me.

It's not true that healthy animals are never euthanized. There are rehabilitation centers in some western states that euthanize healthy, non-native, invasive species and this includes adult gray squirrels.

Do you have references/links/websites for where you derived your info on "PA rehabbers are more likely to euthanize injured animals without giving them a chance more than other state's rehabbers" or is that your personal opinion? Please check the injured animal photos on websites and Facebook pages of PA wildlife rehab centers.

Resources for "casting" a squirrel's broken limbs are inexpensive. Buying formula ($550) for one fawn is expensive and therefore, limited for rehab centers that rely on limited donations. Rehabbing a cast-wearing squirrel is not labor intensive.

You may contact me for names (plural) of PA rehabbers who will admit your injured squirrel for treatment and provide excellent care.
    Actually, you are beginning to somewhat contradict yourself.
    In your first post in your first paragraph you wrote that "Licensed wildlife rehab centers in PA do not euthanize injured wildlife unless their injury is one where there is no hope for survival in the wild once "rehabbed". - what you said is that if the injured wildlife CAN be released back to the wild, they will not euthanize it. By definition, wildlife that can be released back to the wild is "healthy". Hence, rehabbers do not euthanize "healthy" wildlife - this is what your sentence implies.

Moreover, you are going off topic - we are not talking about invasive species or any such specific cases. Invasive species is a whole different story. Of course, healthy invasive species get no mercy. But what does invasive species issue have to do with this thread?

Finally, whatever knowledge about wildlife practices in various states (and even some centers) across North America exists on this board, it has been accumulated over the years that this board existed, and it's been a decade, at least. If you re-read my post, you will see that it says that this situation with assumptions about how releasable a squirrel can be based on its injuries is common to many wildlife centers/rehabbers, it's just PA seems to be one of the places where it happens more frequently. BUT it is, unfortunately, common to too many of these which warrants mentioning it.

It is impossible AND unnecessary to keep track of each instance that added to this perception of how generally squirrels are viewed in PA. Had I known that this day of June 9, 2016 would come when I would be asked to submit a whole list of references regarding PA as if for a research paper, perhaps, I'd care to keep a careful log of each and every instance. Unfortunately, my life has been too busy for me to do that.
    However, you are welcome to submit a statistical analysis of ALL injured squirrels that your center/rehabbers/whomever you are defending took in for the past however many years, with a detailed description of injury and a breakdown of which of these sqs were deemed nonreleasable and hence euthanized, and which were released back. (Other injured wildlife won't count, it has to be squirrels only, because not all wildlife created equal: some are more equal than others ). And detailed description of injuries + why they were deemed nonreleasable is a key, because here we are talking about injuries that are/were deemed to either cause "too much suffering," or to render a sq non-releasable.
    This will be the kind of substantiation you demand from me, and it will prove me wrong.

Until then, you have your opinion based on your experience. And I have mine, based on what I got to learn over the past several years.
    And this is an exchange of opinions, and opinions often differ.
    Why this needs to be taken so personally - that I do not understand.

It's admirable that you are such a staunch defender of your state.
    But this is a thread regarding an ailing squirrel.
    This is not meant and does not need to turn into a contentious issue.
    Nor does it need to turn into some "battle of states" regarding squirrel care.
    Everyone shared an opinion. It's up to the finder to decide what to do.

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    If you re-read my post, you will see that it says that this situation with assumptions about how releasable a squirrel can be based on its injuries is common to many wildlife centers/rehabbers, it's just PA seems to be one of the places where it happens more frequently. BUT it is, unfortunately, common to too many of these which warrants mentioning it.
    will just add that, we can forget for a moment about PA - it's a detail, after all, and remember this:
    before any finder decides to bring an injured squirrel to any wildlife center/rehabber, s/he must be aware that this reality exists: yes, there are wonderful centers/rehabbers that do bother and go to any length to help a squirrel. BUT there are also too many centers/rehabbers who often make too many assumptions about a given injured squirrel's prognosis, and euthanize too soon.
    That's just how it is.
    And it is important that everyone who considers bringing an wild injured squirrel to a center/rehabber, is aware of this reality. I, myself, learned a painful lesson because I was unaware, and it haunts me to this day.

It's wonderful that you have such confidence in your fellow rehabbers/centers, but even you cannot guarantee what the outcome for this squirrel will be.
    And "a squirrel" is key here (not fawns, or any other wildlife), because the treatment/view of an ordinary squirrel is often different from that of some more "valuable" animal; similarly to how disposable pigeons are compared to some exotic bird. That's just how it is. And THAT's what the finder needs to be aware of before s/he makes a decision.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to astra from:

missPixy (06-09-2016)

l
    Years ago I was kicked out of a rehab group for not
    euthanizing a paralyzed squirrel (she walks on all
    4's now)
    actually, I remember this sq

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.