Thread: Baby Raccoon with eye discharge

hcmauthe Guest

Default Baby Raccoon with eye discharge

Baby is 4-5 weeks old and I'm expecting eyes to open anytime. Today I noticed a little white powdery look around eyes. I wiped face and eyes and a cloudy dishcharge came out. I do not have any rehabbers around that will take baby coons and I'm not sure I can get Amoxicillan if I need it. Could this just be because the eyes are getting ready to open? The other two do not have this at this time. No clicking when breathing and no discharge from the nose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Baby Raccoon with eye discharge

Was it like a puss? \
    More like "Eye Boogers"?
    Could you post a picture? As clear as possible would be a great help!

He/she might have an eye infection.. i know baby kittens can contract eye infections before their eyes open, though they usually also have the side effect of puffy eyes.. Is the kit's eye/s puffy at all?

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirreleesi from:

hcmauthe Guest

Not puffy and I already cleaned up. If like that for next feeding I will get a picture. It was more like eye boogers but the others don't have it.

Raccoon Kits usually open their eyes at 3 to 4 weeks, so we're thinking it must be an infection.
    Use a warm compress on the Kit's eyes and and use Terramycin once a day for 7 days. Rehabbers use that stuff on their baby raccoon's many times.
    Name:  12417896_10207546594375659_3860466269692853605_n.jpg
Views: 4801
Size:  14.1 KB
    Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment with polymyxin B sulfate is indicated for the treatment of superficial ocular infections due to oxytetracyline and polymyxin sensitive organisms such as keratitis, pink eye, corneal ulcer, blepharitis in dogs, cats, cattle, sheep and horses. Also, ocular infections due to secondary bacterial complicatons of distemper in dogs and bacterial inflammatory conditions which may occur secondary to other infectious diseases in the above species.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirreleesi from:

You can get the ointment at a Tractor Supply Store or any farm stores if you have any near you OR you can order it here http://pet-healthcare.revivalanimal....ch?w=terrmycin or here https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_...9295x375189735

hcmauthe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hcmauthe View Post
    Baby is 3 weeks old and I'm expecting eyes to open anytime. Today I noticed a little white powdery look around eyes. I wiped face and eyes and a cloudy dishcharge came out. I do not have any rehabbers around that will take baby coons and I'm not sure I can get Amoxicillan if I need it. Could this just be because the eyes are getting ready to open? The other two do not have this at this time. No clicking when breathing and no discharge from the nose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Sorry I meant 3 weeks. We have baby squirrels also that are at the 5 week mark. Thank you everyone I will start the ointment tonight.

Any update on the little Kits, or luck with a picture?

I believe I found a rehabber who would be able to get you Amoxocillin, if you need it.

It was also suggested to me by a few raccoon rehabbers that you seperate out the ill-eyed one from the non-ill-eyed others, and that they ALL should be in quarantine (seperate into 2 groups) from newcomers and PETS, just in case this is canine distemper (high in raccoons and highly contagious!) as a safe step. Eye infections could also be contagious.

I would continue with warm compresses and the ointment.

Other Raccoon Rehabbers are saying though that this sounds like the normal process right before their eyes open and they see it all the time, no disease, no infection.

Members who have read this thread: 1